woo woo woo woo woo woo woo noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arkamelis

Car
Now have my E320 cdi
hi all
my cars making a noise when i drive, its coming from the rear drivers side wheel area, a friend has looked into it and says its a bearing, has it seems to go away when you drive round a corner . popped into local garage, and thay said, i will need a hub, which has the bearing inside. i thought i would just need a bearing and guessed that it would only cost about £20, is the garage right ? will i need a complete hub assembley, there going to get me a price for the part, and say im looking at around 3 hours labour. any help :thumb:

Certainly sounds like a wheel bearing - surely these can just be pressed out and replaced???

Anyone?

I've had this happen on a couple of cars and it's been odd tyre wear. On one, it was really bad, and also stopped on bends.

Just to rule that out, try swapping thr wheels around.

Cheap tyres can also sound like a duff wheel bearing.

You haven't left your dog in the boot have you?:dk:

I was expecting a joke about police cars! :)

Seriously, almost certainly a wheel bearing.
New hub? Have they lost the plot? It's a deeply unpleasant job doing a wheel bearing but i've done plenty without using a bearing press, i tend to use my oven and freezer to make parts bigger or smaller to ease the process.

Here's an example of one i actually bothered to document:
G33 front wheel bearing replacement

You're not driving a police car are you?

Might be! I have a solicitior friend who sometimes works in the big police station in Hatfield. All the guys there refer to the emergency entrance that the cars with 'blues and 2's' come in, as the 'Woo woo entrance':D

Some of the bearings are part of the hub assembly and are not replaceable individually. I have the same problem with the van fleet at work, complete new hubs required when the bearings go so It may well be the case for your model.

the garage got back to me today, and said i dont need to buy the whole hub, and i can just get a bearing, at a cost of £98. with the labour im looking at £200 plus vat. if this job can be done by myself, i would be up for tying to do it, tho i wouldnt like to make matters any worse, has the job can be a pig woo woo woo woo . i know verysideways has done this job before with the aid of a oven and freezer, was this on a e320 around 2001 plate ?

Isnt a woo woo a cocktail? Never tried one but they mention them on the Chris Moyles show. Only heard it when radio has been left on 1 not 4.

I've had this happen on a couple of cars and it's been odd tyre wear. On one, it was really bad, and also stopped on bends.

Just to rule that out, try swapping thr wheels around.

i will try this and thank you for you info, thing is when i picked up the car last week it came with a brand new mot ticket that day. question is should thay have checked the bearings ? has part of the mot

The last thing you need is funny comments when you have a car problem but I was going to suggest you probably had an owl hiding in the car but there is no twit to go with the woo. I would just stick with the dog suggestion in that case.

should thay have checked the bearings ? has part of the mot

No - the car goes up on a lift, but they don't leave the wheels free to check play.

Don't think about doing this yourself if you're not confident - it's one job that requires a bit of skill and the consequences of getting wrong are nasty.

Not certain on Mercedes, but I think it needs a dial gauge to set the play correctly.

No - the car goes up on a lift, but they don't leave the wheels free to check play.

Don't think about doing this yourself if you're not confident - it's one job that requires a bit of skill and the consequences of getting wrong are nasty.

Not certain on Mercedes, but I think it needs a dial gauge to set the play correctly.

erm, I think you will find that they do have to check the wheels for free play and this means jacking each axle while up on the stand. If the bearing has gone then it should have had an advisory at the very least if not a fail!!

In fairness to the MOT mob. I've heard a lot of wheel bearings where there was no play. Just a drumming/droning noise which often goes away when cornering, sometimes only appearing when cornering. Depending on the wear and how it reacts to a load being put on it.

If the bearing is £100 and fitting another £100, I think I'd be tempted to get it done, sometimes you need a hydraulic press and heat to replace a wheel bearing, and the older the car usually the more trouble it is to change.

I did a front one today that was a complete bar steward, no heat, but it took 8 tons on the press to get it moving.

Mind you, it was off a Citroen:doh:

erm, I think you will find that they do have to check the wheels for free play and this means jacking each axle while up on the stand. If the bearing has gone then it should have had an advisory at the very least if not a fail!!
thanks il be calling the dealer tomorrow,and il be looking into it

Sorry - seems you're right. I can't recall ever seeing this being done, and I've watched several MOTs.
MOT UK car and vehicle MOT information equipment car servicing parts and spares - suspension wheel bearings drive shafts

thanks il be calling the dealer tomorrow,and il be looking into it

Whatever is wrong with it, even if it the wheel bearing, might not result in excessive play.

Also bear in mind that pretty well everything on the MOT is a matter of opinion and for the tester to pick up a worn wheel bearing it might have to be horrendously bad.

hay i have got some good news, when i got the car it came with a warrentie for 12 months, and iv read though it and it covers wheel bearings front and back. so im gonna give the place a call tommorrow. hopefully this isnt gonna cost me a penny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom