wood fell off lorry & hit my merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GSI-jim

Car
w211 E320 cdi
I was on the way home from work today behind a big lorry with a tall trailor & it had rubbish piled up above the trailor. A large piece of wood came flying out & hit my merc, scratching/scuffing my front bumper, smashing the bumper grill & the plastic trim infront of the grill.
i got the time, road name, company name & registration number. Where do i stand?

Report tot eh company and Police, an unsafe load damaged your car, but you may have trouble proving it.

Did you not attempts to stop the lorry.

I've had damage done on drive away basis and always caught the driver, other than once when my car was left parked.

Got my sis to phone company. I swerved & went to stop as was shaken up & it was a really big lorry travelling quite fast & how can you stop a big lorry like that who was actually driving on both lanes (dual carriageway) to get through all the cars.

Get ahead and indicate you want them to stop?

Too late now, but your claim may prove difficult as a result of not taking that action.

Lots of commercials are GPS tracked these days - your report to the company may well tie in with a log of the vehicle.

Much then may depend on the company and it's morals.

That's a bummer, any chance you can find a witness? That will help greatly if you claim.
Makes me think of getting a forward facing camera for that kind of reason / incident.

No didnt get any witnesses. There were quite a few car & all travelling about 50-60mph. My insurance was shut when i got home but will phone them first thing in morning. & the company said to my sis they will phone me tomorrow. The rubbish was above the trailor & it had a metal grate on top which i would of thought should sit flat ontop of the rubbish to prevent this but it was poining upwards where the rubbish was obviously piled too high

That is known as a bulk tipper lorry, probably going to landfill.

As you say, the grilles are meant to cover the load.

This is exactly the type of situation when you wished you had a dash cam fitted! :doh:

I spoke to the company today & they are sending me a cheque for the damage.
Need a bumper grill & the colour coded trim infront of it. Put some labour to fit it on top aswell

I spoke to the company today & they are sending me a cheque for the damage.
Need a bumper grill & the colour coded trim infront of it. Put some labour to fit it on top aswell

I was going to suggest trying contacting them.

I knew of someone once who got a smashed windscreen caused by a green lorry driven by I forget whichever building / civil engineering contractor it was (like Clancy Docwra).

They got paid out - no witnesses or proof. Just accurate location and time.

The grill & trim are only £78 inc vat from mercs, so they are sending me a cheque for £152.50

A fair result, good they are paying up, could have told you to do one.
Minor damage fairly easy fix!

Amazing result ... Good news.
When I read this thread, I thought the OP was on a hiding-to-nothing.
How wrong I was !

The grill & trim are only £78 inc vat from mercs, so they are sending me a cheque for £152.50
Welll done for being so honest!! :thumb: The company will only be too willing to send you the cheque!!

At least you're not trying to claim for old scratches/damage on bonnet and bumper, a day off work, taxi to and from garage etc etc to bump up the claim!!

We've had people trying to claim all sort!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom