Wood or alli

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

television

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
R230 SL500
My car has the alli trim that I thought was nicer in an open top car,,, some folk like the wood best. Could I have you views please as to what you like best, or what suits this car the best,

Thank you

Attachments

• Picture 633.jpg
    Picture 633.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Picture 634.jpg
    Picture 634.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 275
No poll?
Aluminium gets my vote so that should be the kiss of death

John

I think aluminium goes well with the dark interior.

Always liked the chestnut or the bird's eye maple too .. not keen on the burr walnut, looks too old fashioned

IMO wood looks good on an older car, the ally looks more modern and suits yours well.

Thank you very much ,, there is a wood set on Ebay that ends soon including the steering wheel that is in walnut,, so I could still buy the whole lot and re finish the wheel in black.

If i'm right, your car is an 02 model. In which case the aluminium looks good to me as it makes the car seem newer.

Some of the wood options on the S,SL and CL were plain garish and made the cars look awful IMHO. The aluminium looks good.

We have completely re-trimmed a customers car in wood from aluminium. It was a nice Avantgrade model but the customer wanted the Elegance wood. Its a fairly easy job to do and in that particular car, looked very nice.

I have on order the Designo black wood centre trims for my A class:rock:

Last edited:
Aluminium for me. Looks more in keeping with today.
Wood is a tad old skool and suits cars likes the E and S class more.
I like it the way it is.

Personally - and it's not just because it's what Edna has, I prefer Birds Eye Maple to alli. Don't like the red colour woods and I think the alli can be a tad. Birds Eye is subtle and classy - just like me :D :D

Much prefer the wood and think it adds to the quality, giving it a warm feel.

For me, the ali finish is rather tacky and a bit cheap looking. Reminds me of those peel off adhesive fablon type products. Sorry but just my opinion.

John

Wood for me including a Wooden Wheel, which I think is a must. As long as it is dark, not keen on the lighter colours.

Funny how people differ. To me the polished wooden steering wheels are SO 1990 bling.

Last edited:
Wood for me every time.

Except on a blower Bentley

at the end of the day it has to be you choice malcom as it is your car,you have to decide then either start kicking yourself or kissing the car,but whatever you decide it cannot take away the look of those fab valve caps:bannana: :rock:

Black Birdseye Maple for me.. :rock:

But then you knew that didn't you? :D

My view, it looks good, alli every time for me....wood should be reserved for libraries and board rooms.......oooooh:devil: :devil: :devil:

Expecting exocets my way:bannana:

Black Birdseye Maple for me.. :rock:

But then you knew that didn't you? :D

Yes I did know that :D:D If I buy this lot thats finished in walnut I can respray it all in black ( I cant do birds eye) and that cost me nothing to do that,, I can always use the steering wheel in black, even if I do not use the rest of it

Having studied the pictures, I think the aluminium is a great contrast and actually makes a very nice statement for the whole interior. Black would just make it look.............. black! :) Black Maple might work but it would need a degree of white to set it off, hence Mercedes use white dials. Can you replicate black maple or would you just paint the wood black and then varnish it?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom