Wood varnish 60s Mercs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My W114 coupe interior wood is lovely Zebrano, but the varnish is flaking off and the finish is very flat.

I have seen quite a number of restored Mercedes of this period where the wood is exceptionally polished as per the images below (I think this is too high a gloss and the second is not Zebrano) and others where the varnish is matt and the figure in the wood lost. Does anyone know what level of polish was on the wood originally?

I have an exceptional wood polisher (antiques trade) who can put whatever finish I want on the wood and will bring out all the grain, but I'd like to make sure the result is authentic. My instinct is a medium level of polish.

1961_Mercedes_Benz_W111_220SEb_Opera_Coupe_For_Sale_Interior_resize.jpg

mercedesw111280se35mech.jpg

Edit - a low mileage W114 saloon interior

DKp0tYZ_qtY8pmSYOCKIEmJ_THApzfioloeQrO_2Ae8.jpeg

Last edited:
They look good don't they? Currently doing a W116 which is Zebrano. The later ones which have more veneer are a very high gloss. I think originally it would probably have been a good gloss but I don't like the "watered" look and prefer to see the wood.

I think the small pieces MB used on later cars can be a bit flat (and over-glossed) as they had to use the very linear ones, rather than larger pieces with more figure of the earlier cars. It was unique to MB though, whereas burr walnut is ubiquitous and really a British car thing. Mind you, they would have to have stopped anyway as it is an endangered tropical hardwood.

I have managed to remove the wood from the glovebox with no problem but lord knows how to get it out of the section under the instrument binnacle and the passenger side vent surround.

Last edited:
A good hunt around has found the instrument cluster plastic nut but I'd have to be a double jointed mini-me to get it out - removing the instrument cluster will be the next piece of research as that supposedly gives access from above.

As to the side vent, glove compartment has to come out.

It did give me the opportunity to remove the driver's seat and find the lovely vacuum actuator untouched with pipe still attached. The floor of the car is also in nice condition, no rust patches found anywhere!

The wood kits being sold seem to have a high gloss. Certainly when I first bought my pagoda I thought this was how it should be and so this is what I went for.

I have since learnt that the 50's and 60's wood was never really high gloss at all, it was always a more satin finish as your low mileage example shows.

Looking close up it is just good old fashioned varnish.

This is as far as I got however and I have officially flown the white flag on getting the two remaining panels out. It was even more difficult than getting me out of the car when I admitted defeat. Memo to self, check door opens from the inside if it slams shut.

I'd say Jaymanek is spot on, originally a satin finish rather than a high gloss but, I would be tempted to go gloss now just in case at sometime you decide to sell it.

Last edited:
Using the essential guiding principle of my life and success, if at first you don't succeed, cheat.

I remembered an excellent trade product for touching up chips and scratches in wood surfaces called Scratch Cover - don't bother using it on the thick varnish later MBs use, it doesn't work (nor on Bentley lacquer), but in addition to masking scratches and flaking varnish, it provides a lovely sheen akin to French Polish. Oh DO NOT SPILL IT ON LIGHT COLOURED LEATHER IT IS AN INDELIBLE STAIN! (don't ask me how I know).

And lo, the results. You can see the area of raised and cracked varnish to the south of the lock on the first, but to be honest it is hardly noticeable. Under the instrument binnacle is fine too. If the dash has to come off I can get the wood out then, but this is a pretty good solution pro tem.

w114%20zebrano2_zpsqshaihlg.jpg

w114%20zebrano1_zpsspplovke.jpg

Last edited:
That looks very good - can you still get Scratchcover I thought they had stopped making it?

The glovebox lid still looks fine but the rest isn't great, it just perks up a photo.

It's available from Lakeland and online but a whole load of different brands. For its original purpose it's fine, but I am going to have to get the wood out somehow, it is just tolerable.

Doesn't look much for all the trouble. The zebrano dash on the 116 is much thicker, I am told, and is a job I have yet to do. Decided yet what you are going to re-finish it with?

I know! The veneer underneath is much better but the varnish has to be stripped and the wood re-stained before it will look better. I have some plans for the veneer but they are under my hat at present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom