Wooden House Gates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Calcifer

Car
R107 500SL, W124 E500 LTD, W124 AMG, W211 E55, E30 M3, CSL, Z3M, 355, 550, 360 CS, 964, NSX, RX-7
Morning.

I've been looking into some solid wooden gates for the house for some time now. Anyone had some done, electric or non electric.

I have a double drive way with a 2.5m opening on either side. Possibly a forum member here in the trade.

I'm based in Manchester area. There seem to be a lot of companies on the market so trying to go with a recommendation or forum member.

Thanks a lot :)

Hardwood gates tend to expand/contract less than softwood.
Look closely at ironware, some of the black stuff rusts and peels.
If you have the room I'd go for sliding rather than hinged double gates as a bit of expansion won't matter.
I treat mine every spring to keep looking fresh.

ETA Cannock gates did me a very competitive deal, they hadca sale on which suggests there would be some negotiation on full price.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. I have space for sliding or hinged double. Just that sliding would mean I have to cut around the embankment.

Will give this company a call tomorrow :)

If hinged, make sure any pillars are plenty strong enough.

If hinged, make sure any pillars are plenty strong enough.

My wooden ones lasted 7 years, just about to replace with galvanised steel box, more ugly but can be painted I suppose.

My wooden ones lasted 7 years, just about to replace with galvanised steel box, more ugly but can be painted I suppose.

Indeed. It's surprising how big the torsional forces are with gates, especially if try don't have a jockey wheel.

just about to replace with galvanised steel box, more ugly but can be painted I suppose.

We completed a job last year where we set the box section in a concrete foundation, welded the hanging pins onto them and then built brick pillars around the steal, topped off with sandstone coping stones. A lot of bother but very aesthetically pleasing and very strong. The gates were hardwood but not automated.

I'd be more inclined to go for 1 big sliding hardwood gate. Once set up there isn't the constant need for adjustments through the seasons.

Ant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've bought from Cannock Gates in the past. Quality was ok on a large softwood pair

A previous house with solid electric wood gates was a royal pain in the proverbial. As giant sails wind posed a significant challenge, as did snow. Over engineer... If swinging gates I would prefer rams rather than sub surface electric motors.

Crawling around in the snow taking off plates to access linkages is not fun.

We bought and fitted a 6’ 6” high metal pedestrian gate from Cannock Gates also – 18 or more years ago.

Painted over the production finish with Ronseal (I think) black 'ironwork' paint (like it says on the can!) …. Thick as pig sh*t, absolute pain to put on, but two coats and no obvious rust.

Only one minor point was the locking mech. It looked a bit flimsy, but no issues to date with a (second, as the first one fell to pieces) padlock on it.

Thank you very much! :)

Cannock sending a quote out this week. :)

Didn't have much joy with this as Cannock don't cover the Greater Manchester area. Our driveway is in one side and out the other with each opening being around 2.2 meters wide.

We have galvanised wrought-iron gates on ours. It's dipped, so every 15/20 years we will get them stripped and redipped and they should last longer than we will frankly. IMO they look nicer and will weather better than wood - our wooden ones basically rotted away in about 8 years despite being repainted every so often. Also because they are not solid, but barred, they don't rattle or strain the hinges when there's a storm. Only drawback with that is that our beagle barks through them at the cat down the road. :fail:D

The primary reason for gates in our case is privacy. So it would have to be wooden.

Are you sure that Cannock won't deliver to you? I'm further away from them.

They would deliver but not install.

Ah, right.

I installed myself, pretty easy really if you calculate the right size and take into account post and hinge/pin width.

Adjustments are possible through either the posts or shaving the meeting edges.

Pretty easy DIY if you fancy it?

Ah, right.

I installed myself, pretty easy really if you calculate the right size and take into account post and hinge/pin width.

Adjustments are possible through either the posts or shaving the meeting edges.

Pretty easy DIY if you fancy it?

You can get adjustable gate hinges which can simplify the hanging

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom