Woohoo! and HELP!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

imadoofus

MB Enthusiast
Car
This and that.
Well I got and fitted the new loom in my coupe this afternoon. Took about an hour and three quarters to fit, so I'm pleased.

Don't know if it worked though because I haven't dared refit the battery yet, and here's why:
jq0xmg.jpg

I have three bits left over. One ring terminal, and two barrel plugs
dcxxfr.jpg

73l2xv.jpg

Now I'm assuming the loom is 'generic', because according to the dealer. it's for "Cat equipped cars with aircon without cruise". Which is what I've got - but no more specific than that. If so, then these plugs are presumably for options I don't have.

Is it safe to just insulate these spare plugs and use the car, or will something terrible befall me if I do?

Expert advice greatly appreciated

TIA

PJ

Impressive stuff! Just need to polish the dipstick handle and PAS pump and it'll be a concourse job.;)

I have no idea about the loom, but I expect someone who does will be along in a bit.

Hope it comes together.

Ade

I would firstly check has the old loom got those ends.

I would suspect it is for extras on another model maybe a secondary air pump.

My E55 has the same leftovers from standard factory build

The ring termnal has to be an earth check to see if the terminal has a live

Then like you said tape them up and connect the battery the only real damage that can be done is if the terminal is live and earths out some where.

Can you post the plug part numbers, those can indicate where they are supposed to fit, perhaps you can find that from the Russian EPC too.

PS. this is a C124 car? Is it an E320?

benztech said:
I would firstly check has the old loom got those ends.
With respect; if the old loom had them, then they wouldn't be left over, would they ;) :)

benztech said:
I would suspect it is for extras on another model maybe a secondary air pump.

My E55 has the same leftovers from standard factory build
That's what I was hoping. I haven;t suddenyl got cruise control have I? ;)

benztech said:
The ring termnal has to be an earth check to see if the terminal has a live
You see, it was going so well, and then you had to get all technical... I don't know how to do that :eek:

benztech said:
Then like you said tape them up and connect the battery the only real damage that can be done is if the terminal is live and earths out some where.
So there's no chance I can fry my ECU?

PJ

Can you post the plug part numbers, those can indicate where they are supposed to fit, perhaps you can find that from the Russian EPC too.

PS. this is a C124 car? Is it an E320?

Yes, it's my C124, E320. The plugs are both the same part number (012 545 04 28) which porbably won;t tell us much, because the plug in the top of the windscreen washer bottle is the same P/N (there's also another one behind the ECU bulkhead/cover thing).

I don't know how to search by P/N in the Russion thing. I can only drill down from Chassis #.

Interestingly, as can be seen from my second picture; one of these two barrel plugs is doubled-back on its own cable, and secured with a zip tie. Make's me wonder if it's not supposed to be used at all...

Interestingly, as can be seen from my second picture; one of these two barrel plugs is doubled-back on its own cable, and secured with a zip tie. Make's me wonder if it's not supposed to be used at all...

I agree it sounds like that plug is considered not need for all cars at least.

Still coming back to the car model. The only European car close to C124 E320 I can find is a 124.052 coupe but I thought that was a US model. There is a cabriolet too but that should be called A124, like 124.066). Isn't the marketing name also 320CE (doesn't matter as long as the chassis code was unambiguous).

If it is a 124.052, I can only find part 176 using that part number:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.450&CT=F&cat=15T&SID=54&SGR=120&SGN=06
(detali seems to have up-to-date info here).

In any case, if you have plugged all connectors that you had in your original harness, those left unused must be redundant for your car. It would just be nice to figure out the purpose of those connectors on cars that do use them.

Diesel Benz said:
I agree it sounds like that plug is considered not need for all cars at least.

Still coming back to the car model. The only European car close to C124 E320 I can find is a 124.052 coupe but I thought that was a US model.
No, my car is a 124.052

Diesel Benz said:
If it is a 124.052, I can only find part 176 using that part number:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.as...GM=717.450&CT=F&cat=15T&SID=54&SGR=120&SGN=06
(detali seems to have up-to-date info here).
Interestingly, that's the exploded view my dealer was looking at, but then he found that none of the harnesses shown there have been sold in the past year, and he sold me a different item (with a more schematic drawing) of which 69 or something have been sold. That item 176 doesn't show at all on the second (M104) drawing in your link, although I have used at least two, and have two spare. Of the two I used. on is right next to the ECU, and the other is (I assume) the Camshaft Timing, because it's plugged straight in at the top front of the block.

Diesel Benz said:
In any case, if you have plugged all connectors that you had in your original harness, those left unused must be redundant for your car. It would just be nice to figure out the purpose of those connectors on cars that do use them.

So you also say that I can't damage the car by running it with them unplugged? Should I do anything with the earth, or just insulate that too?

Interestingly, that's the exploded view my dealer was looking at, but then he found that none of the harnesses shown there have been sold in the past year, and he sold me a different item (with a more schematic drawing) of which 69 or something have been sold. That item 176 doesn't show at all on the second (M104) drawing in your link, although I have used at least two, and have two spare. Of the two I used. on is right next to the ECU, and the other is (I assume) the Camshaft Timing, because it's plugged straight in at the top front of the block.

So you also say that I can't damage the car by running it with them unplugged? Should I do anything with the earth, or just insulate that too?

I have not worked with 124 data, the wiring diagrams are not easily available and even EPC feels confusing. The part 176 appears five times in the parts list, named for "idle speed actuator", "on-board computer", evaporator temperature sensor", "camshaft timing valve" and "magnetic fan coupling". The two seem to match with the plugs you connected, do you have AC on your car, or magnetic fan clutch?

I don't dare to advice with the ground wire, is it a ground wire by colour (did they use brown ground at W124 time?). If it is a ground wire and if it anyway is connected to ground at the other end, I would find an appropriate place to connect it.

The two that are together (sharing the loom leg with the Camshaft advance connector) one with ring connector almost certainly an earth as has been said colour code of the insulation should be brown at that age of car. The other has already been "negated for use"since its already doubled back on itself and secured by a cable tie. (My best guess for it would be the connection for a magnetic fan clutch) The next question what do the other lead/s go to on the other leg of the loom the 2nd (non negated) free lead comes from? hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Diesel Benz said:
I have not worked with 124 data, the wiring diagrams are not easily available and even EPC feels confusing. The part 176 appears five times in the parts list, named for "idle speed actuator", "on-board computer", evaporator temperature sensor", "camshaft timing valve" and "magnetic fan coupling". The two seem to match with the plugs you connected, do you have AC on your car, or magnetic fan clutch?

I have climate control. I didn't unplug anything connected to my cooling fan, so I haven't plugged anything new in.

Diesel Benz said:
I don't dare to advice with the ground wire, is it a ground wire by colour (did they use brown ground at W124 time?). If it is a ground wire and if it anyway is connected to ground at the other end, I would find an appropriate place to connect it.

It is black, as are all the other leads. I suppose earthing it can't do any harm (can it?). I'm not sure it'll reach to a suitable Earthing point though.

The two that are together (sharing the loom leg with the Camshaft advance connector) one with ring connector almost certainly an earth as has been said colour code of the insulation should be brown at that age of car. The other has already been "negated for use"since its already doubled back on itself and secured by a cable tie. The next question what do the other lead/s go to on the other leg of the loom the 2nd (non negated) free lead comes from? hope this makes sense.

Yeah, kind of. The wire is sheathed black. I haven't looked beneath the sheathing.

The loom has two 'legs', as you put it. The leg in question connects to the coils, and to six square sockets on the nearside of the block, below the cable tray itself (numbered 53 in the Russian drawing linked to by Diesel Benz), and to the Cam Sensor. It also goes to a plug beneath the manifold on the n/s (can't see what it plugs into because I'm more than three inches tall)

The other leg goes to Waterpump, and to an Earth and a multiplug under a cover on the nearside inner wing.

I would connect up the earth somewhere as you have nothing to risk there and not worry about the rest...

Piers

Have you started it up then? What happened?

Matt,

No not yet. I'll drop the battery in today or tomorrow, and then try it.

Listen out for a big BANG somewhere South East of you :crazy:

Matt,

No not yet. I'll drop the battery in today or tomorrow, and then try it.

Listen out for a big BANG somewhere South East of you :crazy:

It isn't going to go bang, that's just paranoia.

There will be some crackling - you may start to wonder if a nearby neighbour has lit their barbeque - then it will go "whoof" and possibly then, but not before, it may go bang.:devil:

IT LIVES !!!

I zip-tied the spare plugs out of the way (the spare earth wouldn't reach anywhere) - the earths are not brown, BTW, and fired her up.

Everything seems perfect (!) :bannana:

I ran the diag check thing, and all my airbags seem to have packed up. I got one flash off socket 7, and nothing at all off 8, 10 or 13 (ignition, something, and auto trans.)

Oh, and my f****ng aircon has stopped working AGAIN :mad:

Do you think there may be a connection..??

Don't think so. The aircon compressor isn't on the main harness, and I didn't touch the wiring to it.

When the mobile bloke came round a couple of month sback, he showed met hat he could only get the compressor to kick in if he introduced a live feed. But after he'd gone, it seemed to be working OK anyway. Now it isn't, though, so I suspect it's that same problem.

I'll take it to the aircon place next week, and let them tell me I need a new compressor... :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom