Work laptop advice needed

Discussion in 'PC and I.T support/Advice posts' started by SPX, Sep 5, 2018.

1. SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I need a laptop for work, criteria:

1. Every device we own at home is Apple but I don’t want Mac for this, got to be Windows.

2. Doesn’t need masses of memory but if it’s low, the chance to upgrade at a later date would be helpful.

3. Pound for pound just needs to be great value, it’s just literally needed to use for doing bits at home and taking to meetings.

4. Budgetwise as little as I can get away with for the money - it doesn’t need B&O speakers if you get my drift.

Thanks in advance!

2. ph47mf

ph47mf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 335D GT xdrive M-Sport
    I had a quick look at Currys for you, there are laptops with i5 processor and HD screen for £500, decent i7 would be around £700 mark, these should be able to tackle most of your everyday tasks, if you use power hungry softwares for work, i7 might be a good starting point. In terms of brands, if you want to spend as low as possible, don't discount chinese or taiwanese brands - Lenovo/Acer/Asus make good laptops.

I currently have a Surface laptop, i think it's one of the best laptops out there, but it is quite expensive.

SPX likes this.
  3. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    SPX likes this.
  4. pmcgsmurf

pmcgsmurf Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55 AMG W211, E250 Sport W212, E220 Avant. W211 (and some Imps)
    As a rule now I stick with 13.3" or 14" ultrabooks for portables with either full hd or uhd display depending on budget and processor.
    I find anything bigger to be too big as a handy portable and anything smaller is too small for my old eyes.

Last one I bought was a Dell XPS13 for £962 from their outlet, stonking machine but is fully loaded.

For some of the kids I've got them Lenovo Ideapad, think the last one we got was £480 pretty well specified.
    Looking now though it may have to be HP or the likes for around the same sort of money.

clk320x and SPX like this.
  5. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Club Veteran

Car:
    BMW
    Lenovo ideapad here as well.

Can't remember the spec but it is i7 and SSD whatever that means. I was really surprised when I firt used it because it was so much quicker than my old one.

Wasn't particularly expensive around £600 as I recall.

By some coincidence it has Harman speakers, not that I've noticed any difference.

SPX likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
  7. ph47mf

Car:
    SPX likes this.
  8. RonFleet

RonFleet Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W205 C200
    It's always worth taking a look at supermarket/retailer websites. My son has bought his last three laptops from John Lewis and Sainsbury's, getting really good prices.

SPX likes this.
  9. ToeKnee

ToeKnee Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    SL500
    Argos??

10. ioweddie

ioweddie Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    AMG Line Premier Plus Estate C220d
    SPX likes this.
  11. bluestreak

bluestreak Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2015 E63
    I also bought an XPS 13 a year ago, gave it to in-laws as their existing laptop was falling apart. XPS 13 is a joy to use, small but snappy, great keyboard and excellent screen. Father-in-law loves it and absolutely no complaints nor support issues year on. I can also recommend Dell Precision 5510 - this is an old-ish laptop but it is still absolutely awesome. You can pick one up for £690 here Dell Precision 5510 Quad Core i7 6820HQ 16GB 256GB SSD Full HD nVidia Quadro XPS FHD Workstation | in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire | Gumtree from about £2k new.

On 5510 you can replace memory, up to 32Gb, WiFi card if you want, battery and storage. It is a stonking laptop. In some ways i prefer to use it for work to the newer XPS 15(9570)

SPX likes this.
  12. bob6600

bob6600 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    AUDI S8 V10, S210 E320 CDI (R.I.P.)
    SPX likes this.
  13. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    For what you are doing with it, don't rule out an i3 which 8th generation units have quad-cores now which will save on battery life if that is required.

I'd still recommend 16GB RAM though and ensure you buy one with an SSD.

I buy HP Elitebooks and ZBooks now (although these are overkill for your budget but the cheaper ProBooks I've bought are great too) as I've gone off Dell - they screwed me over on a laptop warranty issue and then pestered me with phone calls to buy stuff after not helping.

Maybe HP are the same but in all the HP stuff I've bought over the last 3 years, none of it has broke to find out!

Also agree on ASUS making great stuff although availability can be tricky.

Just go for the screen size you want.

SPX likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    I’ll be going through all your suggestions over the weekend, thank you.

15. Alex225

Alex225 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLS63 AMG
    I bought an Acer Switch purely for work. First Windows machine I’ve spent my own money on since 2010 and very impressed.

It’s very similar to a Surface with a detachable keyboard and touch screen but works like a laptop. Comes with the keyboard/cover and an active stylus. Cost me about £550. Only real downside is only one USB and one USB C.

I mainly log into a virtual environment so onboard performance wasn’t crucial but the i3, 4gb RAM and 256gb SSD seem more than capable. My MacBook Air is double the spec yet the Switch doesn’t feel slow. Which surprised me!!

SPX likes this.
  16. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    I just had a quick peruse and as much as I hate C/PCW, the following new laptop is a good price for the specification albeit an outgoing model:

HP 14" Intel® Core™ i5 Laptop - 128 GB SSD, Silver

Has 8GB which is the minimum I would recommend to anyone these days running Windows 10.

You could load it up and hammer it the most you are ever likely to - then have a quick look in Task Manager to see how much memory you are using as to whether an upgrade is required but my guess is you would not given what you are planning to use it for.

I've bought these fairly recently for lower order staff to use and so far so good!

SPX likes this.
  17. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    Looking back over the brief I wonder if a Chromebook would work for you?

Not Windows, if that's a deal breaker don't read on!

• Massive battery life
    • Light
    • Hardly anything stored on the device so memory not an issue
    • Rapid boot up
    • Simple to use and minimal interruption for updates
    • Chrome, just better than explorer, adblock works a dream
    • Super fast battery charge, 9 hours battery life on mine charged in about an hour
    If you haven't realised, I'm a bit of a fan but I only use mine for personal use, I need to download software for work to use W10.

Bobby Dazzler and SPX like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    SPX

SPX MB Club Veteran

Car:
    That one
    Are they like a cross between an iPad and a laptop - app based?

Either way, I need to be able to use Dropbox, Excel stuff like that on whichever laptop I get.

19. DrFeelgood

Car:
    BMW
    Yes, it's like a massive phone I suppose.

I use Outlook/Office365/Onedrive on it a lot which gives you access to Excel/Word/PP.

I take it on holidays and manage basic work stuff but sometimes have to think about what I'm doing, I put that down to the fact that I'm not using it daily in a business capacity.

20. ph47mf

Car:
    A vote from me for the Chromebook as well, but it's not for everyone. My dad, a long term Microsoft fan, keeps on saying how quick mine is for the price but he just couldn't get used to it even though all he does is browse, use youtube, word and excel, and Chromebook can do all that. Google's Excel/Word equivalent are arguably just as competent.