Work place temps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pluggers

MB Enthusiast
Car
C250 AMG Line Premium Plus. W205
This is a bit of a follow up to" in car temps" It got me thinking .I have been working the last 3 days and tomorrow is my last shift for a bit.I have had a thermometer in my welding bay the last 3 days to monitor the temp,It gets very hot! yesterday was the worst at 94f or 34c. Today was cooler (just :rolleyes: )It makes it worse because the heat from the work you are welding brings up the temp even more. Took the pic at 6.30pm tonight before I left for home.First pic is my welding bay(looks more like the inside of a big oven,Felt like it the last 2 days anyway :( :( :( )Second pic is the thermometer on the wall.I bet no one else has to put up with these kind of temps for 12 hours a day.

bay.jpg

tempinbay.jpg

Nope, afraid I can't compete with that. When I get to escape to our server room, it's generally about 16-17 degrees celsius :) Although I've been in much much colder data centres & comms rooms!

Servers hate the heat more than people!

hot

shorts are the order of the day :cool: ...but a work college commented that it could be a discipline action as its not considered work wear......so I said when they fit AIR CON in my landrover till then shorts and saftey shorts at that if you get to hot you run the risk of dehydration and fatigue which could lead to fainting very dangerous when in controll of a landrover .....and promptly went round to my managers air conditioned office and broached the question...he was well ok with .....if he hadn't been something could have broken his air conditioning...on a regular bases..... :devil: :devil:

If you think THAT'S hot, just come and try changing parts in the flight deck of a Boeing 747 that's been parked out in the sun all day - I've seen 44 degrees on more than one occasion!

Try the Underground, or rather the lines which are still working.

Hot, unventilated other than by the movement of trains and absolutely crammed. Plus of course the remote in statistical terms but ever lingering prospect of you and your fellow passengers being done for by nutters with bombs.

Just what you need to start the day in a pleasant, relaxed frame of mind.

Then you get to the office and find the Aircon was switched off at 8.00pm the previous evening for repairs, will not be back on until 10.30 and the ambient temperature in south facing office is already 31C.

Very miserable temp chained to the copier in a side room producing 75 copies of a report needed for lunchtime. Well, he is an Aussie so he is used to the heat.

An Executive decision required: thus self and other unhappy bunnies sloped off to the nearest coffee bar with aircon and have only just got back. Down to 27 now and dropping so there is some hope!

try the Hong Kong metro underground with all those arms held high and armpits on show . . . uuurrrggghhh :eek:

Our premises are within a huge warehouse, the temp stays fairly constant and takes many hot days before it gets uncomfortable and then it stays sweaty for several weeks after. Likewise in the winter we dont really notice the cold.

Unfortunately we only have doors at one end so it is difficult to get a through draught for ventilation.

As an aside, Pluggers, are you capable of welding cast iron? Like a crack in the side of a big cast iron engine? I know it can be done but it needs special kit I think?

I thought this thread was going to about workplace temps as in ' The Temporary Placement of People in the Workplace :eek: . Oh well, ours are not so HOT anyhow! :rolleyes:

Portzy.

jimmy said:
As an aside, Pluggers, are you capable of welding cast iron? Like a crack in the side of a big cast iron engine? I know it can be done but it needs special kit I think?

Cast Iron can be very succesfully welded back together by using a normal DC Arc Welding machine. I have welded back the side of a Sulzer Marine Engine which decided to throw a piston out. The piston was 18 inches in diameter :eek: Its not a quick job as you have to keep the metal as cold as possible, preferably under 150 degrees C and stress relieve it after each run of 2 inches. I did this job in the desert in Saudia Arabia where the temp outside the power house was 33 degrees C. Inside is was a little hotter. Ok Marine engine, desert etc. The Saudi's use them to power electric generators. There were 4 of these monsters in the power house, 3 running, 1 in bits. It took us a week to weld this back together. have pics if anyone interested.

There is no legal maximum temperature defined but if anybody feels it is getting all too much worth knowing the current HSE thinking:

What is the maximum/minimum temperature in the workplace?

The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

The associated ACOP goes on to explain:
‘The temperature in workrooms should provide reasonable comfort without the need for special clothing. Where such a temperature is impractical because of hot or cold processes, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a temperature which is as close as possible to comfortable. 'Workroom' means a room where people normally work for more than short periods.

The temperature in workrooms should normally be at least 16 degrees Celsius unless much of the work involves severe physical effort in which case the temperature should be at least 13 degrees Celsius. These temperatures may not, however, ensure reasonable comfort, depending on other factors such as air movement and relative humidity.’

Where the temperature in a workroom would otherwise be uncomfortably high, for example because of hot processes or the design of the building, all reasonable steps should be taken to achieve a reasonably comfortable temperature, for example by:

insulating hot plants or pipes;
providing air-cooling plant;
shading windows;
siting workstations away from places subject to radiant heat.
Where a reasonably comfortable temperature cannot be achieved throughout a workroom, local cooling should be provided. In extremely hot weather fans and increased ventilation may be used instead of local cooling.

Where, despite the provision of local cooling, workers are exposed to temperatures which do not give reasonable comfort, suitable protective clothing and rest facilities should be provided. Where practical there should be systems of work (for example, task rotation) to ensure that the length of time for which individual workers are exposed to uncomfortable temperatures is limited.

References

L24, Workplace health, safety and welfare, (ISBN 0717604136 - available from HSE Books)

The HSE guidance publication, Thermal Comfort in the Workplace, seeks to define thermal comfort, and states:

'An acceptable zone of thermal comfort for most people in the UK lies roughly between 13°C (56°F) and 30°C (86°F), with acceptable temperatures for more strenuous work activities concentrated towards the bottom end of the range, and more sedentary activities towards the higher end.'
HSG194, Thermal Comfort in the Workplace, (ISBN 0717624684 - available from HSE Books)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom