Working in Copenhagen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lennox

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
GTD /A6 Ultra - Merc next time!!
Well it looks like I am head East to the beautiful city of Copenhagen. It's initially a 6 month contract that we may collectively extend. (Might even move there if it works out) I say that as there is a huge piece of work running for 2-3 years that I will be supporting but both parties (me and them) need to see if it works.

Anyway, some of you gave me some good pointers re: places to see (didn't do any of it as I ended up interviewing all day, but I will once I'm there) but I wondered if anyone had experience of living there.

Key questions:
- should I get a bike? Everyone cycles and I'm thinking about buying a Cannondale Badboy, I'm not into these sit upright bikes
- hotel or short lease apartment? I have 2 kids (one is 3 days old!!) so the wife may want to come out.
- take a car out there? I'm a hopeless alpha car driver, meaning I don't do public transport but I guess I could change
- taxation? Anyone got good knowledge of the expat deal? I've googled it but still no wiser
- mobile sims? I'm buying a MI MIX phone when I can partially due to it having 2 sims. One will be a THREE all-you-can-eat sims but what should I use locally?
- Banking? About to open a business bank account, which is best?? Happy to switch my main personal account too.

Appreciate any comments.

The city is very flat and is a very bike friendly safe city to cycle in.

I have been there twice in the last 2 years as a tourist and it is no London when it comes to sight seeing.

If you start off using your UK bank account out there get a Halifax Clarity Credit card and use that for everything and I mean everything. The exchange rate almost matches the true exchange rate rather than any tourist rates you might find for converting money and there are no charges unlike most credit cards for using your card abroad. When I go there I don't bother getting any local currency I just use the card but just tell the Halifax you are going there to stop them blocking it.

Everything in Copenhagen is expensive so I can't comment on accommodation but you will see many C Class taxis stripped of all their luxury making the car look very ordinary with their non allow wheels.

Last edited:
Bonecho, thanks for that. Just opened a HSBC business account due the 18 month free banking offer. Credit cards my Barclays looks like it has a similar deal to the Halifax one so will just use that.

Anything else??

I took my SE Floval Flyer (Google it) to ride while iI was staying in Malmo(over the bridge from Copenhage) and it got stolen from outside the hotel in broad daylight, it had a decent lock on it.
Basically if it's not the usual sit up and beg bike the locals will have it away.

The sit up and beg bikes are far more user friendly anyway.

I took my SE Floval Flyer (Google it) to ride while iI was staying in Malmo(over the bridge from Copenhage) and it got stolen from outside the hotel in broad daylight, it had a decent lock on it.
Basically if it's not the usual sit up and beg bike the locals will have it away.

The sit up and beg bikes are far more user friendly anyway.

Ah I wondered. You don't see nice bikes unless they are being ridden. I might wait to long I work out my office and accommodations approach to me bringing a bike inside.

Otherwise it will be a Mary Poppins style bike for me!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom