Working while claiming sick pay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercFanUk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Hey all,

I know of someone who has a regular daytime job, but they are off sick for a month and claiming statutory sick pay - their doctor signed them off. Some evenings they work at a different job, cash in hand etc.

Is that entirely legal? (The working somewhere while claiming sick somewhere else - obviously the cash in hand part isn't legal as it's undeclared income).

Ta!

Thats what I thought - however I wouldn't even know who to report to, and what law is being broken - it just felt... wrong.

It's called doing the double...you don't have to know what the law is to inform.

After some googling, it appears that their main employer would cancel the SSP, and possibly claim for the extra staff cover.

Their side job involves sitting down and talking, pretty much the same as the main job, so theres no way of them saying they could do one while not being able to do the other.

The problem is, if their side job is cash in hand, would the company need proof of it?

MercFanUk said:
After some googling, it appears that their main employer would cancel the SSP, and possibly claim for the extra staff cover.

Their side job involves sitting down and talking, pretty much the same as the main job, so theres no way of them saying they could do one while not being able to do the other.

The problem is, if their side job is cash in hand, would the company need proof of it?

I doubt a company would sack someone on hearsay but I reckon that's the outcome of being off sick when you are capable of being in work.

Not if the boss of that company or HR Rep popped round and actually saw them working. Gross Misconduct - Instant dismissal methinks.

If a doctor has signed him off how can he give a sick note to his employers. Only the first seven days are self certified and a doctors note is needed for SSP

They've been off sick a lot already, but the doctor has now said they are to be off for another month. Not quite sure of the exact way being off sick like that works.

Is he having a rough time at his proper job, being bullied or such like? Yet he hasn't got the cojones to quit and he can't survive on the sick pay?

Unless you know him to be a scammer, tread carefully.

is the work voluntary or for a charity, it may be the case that his GP considers such work as beneficial and likely to assist recovery

is the work voluntary or for a charity, it may be the case that his GP considers such work as beneficial and likely to assist recovery

Why do you assume the doctor knows about the "extra" work? And, does voluntary and charity work get paid?

Seeing as I know the person wont ever be reading this, I feel I can expand a little:

The person is a female. The work for a very large company for their main job, which involves taking phone calls. On a couple of evenings a week they work in a small takeaway earning cash in hand work.

She is extremely overweight, and due to the weight she keeps getting signed off work (Her doctor is at the stage where he thinks she might need oxygen to help her breathe at night). She makes zero effort to lose the weight, (She's mid 20's), and instead eats like it's going out of fashion, and that the only food product that exists is fat. She's aiming to get one of these stomach tie jobs from the NHS instead.

I don't mean to sound nasty, but that's just the type of person she is, and it annoys me that people like us have to pay for an expensive operation like that when there are much cheaper alternatives around - like dieting and exercising - neither of which she is willing to even entertain.

Now I personally don't see how her day job is any harder than her on the side job. I also don't see how she should be getting paid to sit at home all day when she can clearly work. I know people who work with her at her main job, and she's definitely not being bullied, or suffering from anything similar.

The day job is more stressful because there is not a ready food supply like the evening job. Drop her an anonymous note with an ultimatum.

Both places of work are actually pretty close, and about the same distance from her home - so extra travelling etc can't be used an excuse.

I suppose if benefits/HR people were to see her behind the counter one night she'd be pretty much screwed?

Don't you think the poor fat cow has enough problems already sounds like she will not see 30, leave her alone.

we are on this planet for short time so try and make the most of it and enjoy yourself and your Mercedes and think thank god your not dealt such **** cards.

**** that...tell on her...you will be helping her in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom