Workshop horror/funnies/scams (Trade)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E270 Owner

MB Enthusiast
Car
Anything I get my hands on.
I thought it might be fun to share some funnies, scams or horror stories from the trade sides perspective, not sure if others will join in though. !!

So recently, before xmas this came in.

After nearly 9 months a customer proudly returned to us their car stating the clutch had gone "again" and implied we fitted an inferior part (OEM).

After the AA had recovered the vehicle to us stating "clutch cable failure" on the job sheet, I proceeded to remove the gear box and see what was going on inside there.

The customer had also been delivered to us by the AA and was expecting a "courtesy car" to be provided as it was obviously "our fault" the car had broken down, according to them.

I told them there wasn't one available.

Some time had passed and after much arguing and cursing unpleasantness and plain old fashioned rudeness from them, I had removed the gear box, the pushy person was now telephoning her friend on their mobile, (because we refused to allow them to use the company telephone), who is a solicitor and wanted to instruct us on the error of our ways in handling the situation.

I asked them who had been driving the car or had they lent it to anyone, the terse reply was to inform me that they were the only driver and no one else had driven the vehicle and what was I implying by saying that, I told them I was curious as to how in such a short time the new 3 piece clutch we fitted had stopped working, as the removal of the gearbox revealed a little problem.

After refusing to speak to the solicitor on the phone, as my hands were dirty, I offered them to come have a look at the "problem" where I was told they were not interested they wanted it fixed under warranty and a courtesy car provided.

So I bought the parts to reception for them to have a look at.

Here's what I showed them I had found.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/IMG_0726_zps2zoabjqz.jpg

Their face didn't change too much and I thought they would have showed more expression or reaction but instead a hardened Vegas poker faced professional stare was my clue something else was wrong with this apparent problem.

I pulled the original work sheet from the companies new highly efficient computer system, no really its all brand new after the last one was sabotaged with tea accidentally poured in it and a pop tart shoved in the cd tray, the complaining and highly erratic customer was now questioning my actions as I showed her the work sheet and my intentions to check the vehicle and works done, after a brief check I ordered the vehicle to be removed form the post ramps and pushed out side with the gearbox and other parts carefully wrapped and stored in the boot, I then informed the customer that they had better call their solicitor.

I always make sure the vehicle chassis numbers are recorded as well as the vehicle registration marks, simply swapping the number plates on their friends car, same colour etc, wasn't going to get a free clutch out of me.

They quietly left.

The car is still at our premises awaiting collection :)

Push the car into the road and tell the police that the car has been ringed ... That the plates don't match the chassis number.

Should finish them off nicely.

Does the tax disc show the same registration as the plates? If so that must be fraud.
Old Bill would find that interesting.

Police computer will be able to tally vin with plates ( or not )

It's your duty as a good citizen to report it ;)

If the car presented was not the same car that had received a new clutch 9 months earlier , it clearly is an attempted fraud , and not covered under any warranty .

You would be fully entitled to refuse to release the car until they had paid for the workshop time involved in diagnosing the problem .

If only the specific car with the original registration mark was covered under the AA recovery policy , there might have been fraudulent activity there too , which the AA might be interested in ...

I wonder where the original car , to which the registration mark belongs , is ?

Now I don't remember the exact figures and dates, but here we go.

Mrs Ringway's Uncle Alan died in around 1999.
She's a dedicated follower of tightfistedness and here's an example of how she operates.

When going through Alan's belongings (he'd kindly left her some inheritance) she had found a pair Marks & Spencers trousers with the price tags still attached.
I begged her not to, but she insisted on taking the trousers back for a refund.
After presenting at the M&S returns desk for the refund of the £29.99p and claiming to have lost the receipt for the trousers she had "bought as a present 3-4 months ago", the assistant went away to speak with her manager.

Picture the long queue and the customer service lady returning to ask...

M&S Lady - "When did you say you bought the trousers?"
Mrs Ringway - "Erm... not long ago, maybe 6-7 months ago?"
M&S Lady, in a polite but raised voice - Well, we will refund for you on this occasion, but I'd like to inform you that we rounded prices up to pounds (so no 99p's) around 5 years ago."

Talk about wanting the floor to swallow you up.

Now I don't remember the exact figures and dates, but here we go.

Mrs Ringway's Uncle Alan died in around 1999.
She's a dedicated follower of tightfistedness and here's an example of how she operates.

When going through Alan's belongings (he'd kindly left her some inheritance) she had found a pair Marks & Spencers trousers with the price tags still attached.
I begged her not to, but she insisted on taking the trousers back for a refund.
After presenting at the M&S returns desk for the refund of the £29.99p and claiming to have lost the receipt for the trousers she had "bought as a present 3-4 months ago", the assistant went away to speak with her manager.

Picture the long queue and the customer service lady returning to ask...

M&S Lady - "When did you say you bought the trousers?"
Mrs Ringway - "Erm... not long ago, maybe 6-7 months ago?"
M&S Lady, in a polite but raised voice - Well, we will refund for you on this occasion, but I'd like to inform you that we rounded prices up to pounds (so no 99p's) around 5 years ago."

Talk about wanting the floor to swallow you up.

Do you have to don a fake moustache and wear a wig when you need to buy grundies or do you buy online and hope the assistant hasn't transferred to online sales?:devil:

Easily avoided, don't go shopping with any wife.

Last edited:
Most scams though involve garages not doing the work they have charged for or not using the proper parts.

Years ago there was a service garage on Pinner Road in Harrow, in the waiting/reception area it was all Castrol signs, "we only use Castrol" we are Castrol Approved" etc

My wife's car was towed in there after a breakdown, while waiting to talk to the service manager I decided to tidy the car up a bit by removing the worst of the kids rubbish in the back.

Looking for a bin I went round the back of the workshop, there on the wall was a row of empty Woolworths 20-50 5litre oil containers all up-ended over filthy plastic cups to drain out the last remnants

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom