Workshop lift fail - Merc GWagen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That didn't go well :crazy:

Good move to step in and try and stop it falling. Almost a Darwin awards video :doh:

This does not look like a mechanical fault.

It's a two-post lift - if the weight distribution is wrong the car will tilt and fall off the lift.

These lifts are very handy for suspension work though...

You can also see how the other garage staff check on the proccess - it seems they knew it could be problematic - normally it does not take three people to operate a lift.

A (now retired) garage owner once told me that this happened to him many years ago - in the early 80' some new American car models were FWD to compete with Japanese imports - which meant awful weight distribution. One of his mechanics managed to tilt one such car forward off a two-post lift not expecting it would be FWD...

Last edited:
You can also see it !eaning over to the side as it goes up.

Combination of the wrong type of lift and also the lift being rubbish.

As it lifts the front tilts forward and rocks back and forth. The ramp itself seems to be struggling.
Then it appears to slip off the pads and the rear arm shoots out... That should never happen, all lifts I know lock the arm into position once they are lifted off the floor.

I have only ever lifted my G wagen on the four poster ramp.

It looks from the video that they were not happy before they started to lift this.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom