Workshop safety - kids

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by CCAALLVVIINN, Feb 10, 2017.

1. CCAALLVVIINN

CCAALLVVIINN MB Enthusiast

Car:
    GL 350cdi, W126 300SE, Land Rover 109 2.6
    Am after advice regarding the safety of a new home workshop I am building

The workshop is going to contain some pretty dangerous tools, table saw, chop saw band saw etc.

I am putting a stable door on it so as my 7 and 8 year old can't get in but can attract my attention when I'm working in there

My worry is the girls getting in there and pressing buttons, they are very sensible children but better to be safe than sorry

The garage can be isolated from the fuse board in the house, but I was wondering if there was a timer cutout that could be put in to the circuit somewhere that would cut the power automatically if I forget to turn it off and lock the door

I await your thoughts

2. camerafodder

camerafodder MB Enthusiast

Car:
    VW Touareg V6 Altitude, Toyota IQ2
    I grew up with all this sort of stuff and managed to retain my fingers. I think education is the primary thing along with a lock on the door.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  3. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    A padlocked isolator switch.

When you remove the padlock you then padlock the door to the room...you can'
    t forget the isolator because you must remove the lock from the door when you want to leave...and then set the switch.

Cumbersome, but (almost) foolproof.

1 person likes this.
  4. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    My mate Dave (really) wasn't so lucky, he lost half a finger.

His favourite trick used to be to hold his hand up and ask to borrow four and a half quid.

5. Dryce

Dryce MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I'd suggest contacts on the door and a sounder that is powered when the bench is powered.

If the door is opened while you are in the workshop and the bench is powered then you (a) get warning somebody is approaching and (b) if you leave and the bench is powered you get a warning.

6. OP
    OP
    CCAALLVVIINN

Car:
    You're not really understanding my question

7. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E250 CDI; Mini Cooper R50
    And safety switch located high enough so the kids can't reach it or locked in cupboard. There are also advanced versions with id card scan but I think that locked main power switch should be sufficient.

1 person likes this.
  8. MercedesDriver

MercedesDriver MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S212 E250 CDI; Mini Cooper R50
  9. Darrell

Darrell MB Enthusiast

Back in Mill Hill but sometimes in Skiathos
    Car:
    A Jaaaaag, 2016 Dacia Duster and a 2004 Carrera (996)
    My brother has got 3 kids under the age of 11 and has a workshop full of electronic nasties and no injuries so far.
    Education is the key here and also the fact that (according to kids) that machines are boring. Snapchat, instagram etc etc are better.

10. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X4 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport (sorry, guys)
    The stable door could be connected to a sensor that when the door is opened triggers a latching "stop" control that interrupts the sockets which is reset by a control which is either out of reach, key operated or both. Do not allow the lighting to be interrupted.

If you forget to secure the stable door, opening it will cut off the power to tools. Likewise, leaving the workshop will isolate the sockets automatically.

Im concerned about a stable door- they can be climbed over. I would suggest a door with a mesh panel instead.

1 person likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    CCAALLVVIINN

Car:
    That's a simple solution, I think I'll go with it, thank you

12. davidjpowell

davidjpowell MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Range Rover Vogue, Volvo XC60 and crappy Pug 307
    I think so much depends on the kids. My daughter I would be happy with the basic prevention. My nephews who push the rules wherever they can - that padlock seem's like a good idea...

13. Stratman

Stratman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    I'm not sure I'd want to be in a room of sharp spinning things with the door locked, that's if I correctly understand the proposed solution.

Seconds wasted kicking in the door is more claret on the floor.

3 people like this.
  14. st13phil

st13phil MB Enthusiast

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Fine until someone needs emergency access because you have injured yourself, and you're locked in.

If you wish you could implement a simple power circuit that requires the door to be closed to be "on", but unexpected stopping of machinery when someone opens the door can have unintended consequences too.

My personal view is that you can try to get too clever with something like this and box yourself into a problem if you haven't thought through all potential scenarios. If you do want to get (more) clever then perhaps:

1. Start with education, impressing on the kids that the machinery is potentially dangerous
    2. Install a global e-stop system so that hitting any e-stop button in the room cuts power to all machinery. That way, if something does go wrong everything can be isolated quickly
    3. Have the door to the room interlocked and on a powered shoot bolt so that if the room is "live" the door is locked, but if power is cut the door opens
    4. Include an e-stop button outside the room too. In an emergency, hitting that will power everything off and allow access
    For proper safety it should all be dual circuit, properly designed so that fault masking can't occur, and the interlocks mustn't daisy-chained - which is where things start to get a bit ridiculous for a home workshop :crazy:

15. Yugguy

Yugguy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W204 C220CDI Elegance with Comand
    Just talk to them. I have all my weights set up in my garage, with some heavy stuff that could hurt a kid if they messed with it. From an early age my daughter knew never to touch them without me being there.

16. camerafodder

Car:
    Indeed, my suggestion of a simple lock was to use when no-one was in there.

17. camerafodder

Car:
    I do understand. I was simply offering a simple pragmatic approach based on my own personal experience. :)

18. brucemillar

brucemillar MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
    A very sensible question to ask. Thank you.

The best manual safety switches (irrespective of application) are the ones that pull out, as opposed to push in. This avoids accidental tripping in the event that you have deliberately activated the switch to turn off the huge, ugly spinning saw that you are now being extricated from. You do not want a rescuer to trip and fall against the switch, starting everything up again!!

You now want to go the extra mile and get one, that either comes in a box with a spring loaded flap/cover and ensure that it is fitted so the the flap opens upwards!!

Pull switches are normally spring loaded and require a fair force and a bit of (do I want to do this) thought, to pull them out. This gets by, the natural inclination of most children and ALL males to, push the DO NOT PUSH button.

Education is paramount and can never be underestimated (I know, that you know this). The more we label "Do Not Touch" the more the temptation will grow to touch. Yes I do this for a living....

If it were me.... I would do the above. Then only have it on when I am in the room/workshop. Not 100% but nothing is.

19. renault12ts

renault12ts MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2005 W215 CL500.
    Do your daughter's friends also know this?

20. Pontoneer

Pontoneer Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '99 S320 W140 ; '93 300SL-24 R129
    I'd have though a simple 'emergency stop' push button near the door would cover the most likely emergency : that of you being injured using the kit . A secondary , key operated switch , to prevent unauthorised use in your absence , could be wired in series .

The 'stable door' , to keep kids out , should not be too obstructive in case anyone needs in to help you in the event of an accident , but could itself trigger a bright strobe , rather than an audible alarm ( which might be masked by machinery noise ) so that you are alerted if anyone opens it .