World Kidney Day - Thursday 8th March 2012

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by npuk, Mar 3, 2010.

1. npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180 CDI Avantgarde SE (2008)
    [​IMG]

World Kidney Day - 8 March 2012 / http://www.worldkidneyday.co.uk

Many of you probably dont even know there is a World Kidney Day. It was only launched in 2006.

The purpose of World Kidney Day is to raise awareness about the importance of our kidneys – an amazing organ that plays a crucial role in keeping us alive and well – and to spread the message that kidney disease is common, harmful and treatable.

WHY SHOULD I CARE

Anyone anytime can be struck by kidney disease. Over 3 million people face chronic kidney disease in the UK today; and this number is expected to rise over the next ten years. Meanwhile, an estimated 13,000 people are killed by the disease annually in this country.
    Yet, the British public awareness is low and most people know very little about what their kidneys are and what happens when they start to fail.

WHAT IS WORLD KIDNEY DAY?

World Kidney Day is a joint initiative organised by the members of International Society of Nephrology and the International Federation of Kidney Foundations.

In the UK, it is represented by the members of the Kidney Alliance. This health day aims to increase public awareness of the importance of our kidneys and promote preventative measures, early detection and treatment of chronic kidney disease.

EARLY DETECTION CAN SAVE LIVES

Kidney disease is often ‘silent’, causing few symptoms, especially in the early stages. If left unchecked the disease can progress or lead to kidney failure. It can severely impact on quality of life and ultimately can cost lives. Very often it comes along with other health threatening conditions, such as cardiovascular disease and diabetes.

If kidney disease is detected early, appropriate treatment can delay or even stop chronic kidney disease. It is easy to detect early signs of kidney problems by using simple tests performed by your GP.

If you want to know more about it and about events in your area please see: www.worldkidneyday.org www.kidneyresearchuk.org World Kidney Day 2010

-------------------------------------------------------

1 in 10 adults have some form of kidney damage. It can happen at any
    age. Every year the number of people suffering kidney failure is increasing. I wont post a list of facts and figures as those who are interested will read the information on the links above.

I am posting this to help raise awareness. I help raise for Kidney Research UK. They dont have big celebrities backing them, or money to do TV advertising. All the money raised is from voluntary donations / fundraising.
    Kidney Research UK is the leading UK charity funding research that focuses on the prevention, treatment and management of kidney disease. The charity also dedicates its work to improving patient care and raising awareness of kidney disease.

I have had ESRF End Stage Renal Failure since 1995 and have been on dialysis since then (15 years). It has not been easy and I have had many problems along the way. Lately I seem to having more and more problems. It is not something I would wish on my worst enemy. There is no cure for Kidney Failure. Even a transplant is not a cure. It brings about its own set of problems.

I hope this will help raise awareness and make people realise just how serious it is. It can happen to anyone, any age and can happen suddenly.
    Help spread the word about World Kidney Day.

If you would like to donate some money to help fund research please see: www.kidneyresearchuk.org / UK National Kidney Federation - run by kidney patients for kidney patients. Kidney Disease Information.

To see if there are any events in your area on World Kidney Day see: Events - World Kidney Day and World Kidney Day 2010

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
    11 people like this.
  2. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    A post very close to my heart and all the points stated are extremely valid. My father suffered renal failure at around the age of 45 and was on dialysis for a few years when dialysis was in its infancy and machines were huge, I remember as a kid our back bedroom was turned into a home dialysis room and my father was hooked up 3 times per week, doing everything putting in his own needles cleaning the arificial kidney and rebuiding the membranes in it. A much braver man than I will ever be.

Also during this time he and my mum were big fund raisers for Kidney Research organising disco's, pie and pea suppers etc.

He was then lucky enough to get a transplant and as npuk said that does bring its own issues but also with it a new lease of life. Until he died a few years ago (ironically of cancer) he was the UK's longest transplant patient having had his kidney over 20 years.During that time he had travelled the world, Australia, New Zeland USA something that would never have been possible on dialysis. So I must pay tribute to the surgeons, doctors and staff at all the Sheffield Hospitals that were involved

So if you only do one thing today read npuk's post and consider how lucky some of us are. If you want to do something really good and give something back then please join the organ donor register. I know it's a personal choice and not for everyone but when you see first hand the new lease of life a transplant brings you realise just how importsnt this is.

Alternatively please spare a few coppers for an extremely worthwhile cause.

With kindest regards
    Ian

4 people like this.
  3. flango

flango Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes SLK R171
    Bump (All in a good cause)

4. crankiejohn

crankiejohn Active Member

Car:
    2002 180 elegance auto estate
    i had my kidney transplanted 01 03 2001 and its running fine,the best used part iv ever had.a great big thanks to everyone involved in organ transplant

3 people like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ^^^ ttt ^^^

6. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    ^^^ TTT ^^^

Can a mod please edit title too: World Kidney Day - March 10th 2011

Thanks.

7. Shude

Shude Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK55 AMG
    Least I can do!

1 person likes this.
  8. Frankie

Frankie Active Member

Car:
    E230 Elegance Ford Ka Honda Z50x3 ATC70
    My friend at work has been waiting for a Kidney for some time, he has been on Dialysis at home. He took a turn for the worse a few weeks ago and was rushed into hospital,turned out he had a blood infection. The upshot of all this was that a kidney became available,what was shocking for me was that it was donated by an anonymous stranger.
    I'd donate anything when I pass,if a member of my family needed a kidney while I'm alive,I would offer mine. For a stranger to offer their kidney while they are alive is something truly special and that person deserves a special place in heaven when their time comes.

1 person likes this.
  9. gina2201

gina2201 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
    A very worthy cause. I've had my fair share of kidney problems, won't go into details as I consider myself a lucky one! Just a good job we have two to begin with, well most of us at least. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. jonnyboy

jonnyboy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    I lost my dad last year to Kidney problems folowing cancer four years ago.

Close to my heart this.

1 person likes this.
  11. snoop51

snoop51 Active Member

Car:
    MB E350 CDI Sport w/ command & leather
    Just had my photocard licence renewed. All parts of me are now available for use in any way if I "pop my clogs" so to speak.

Will also be making a donation to kidney research! I already do this for Cancer research having also lost my father to this 7 years ago.

Donation made.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. EDZ649

EDZ649 MB Enthusiast

Car:
    R129 SL600 V12
    I didn't see this thread when it was originally posted but have been reading with interest.

Two and a half years ago my Dad was told that within 5 years he would have complete renal failure. We were all devasted of course but soon realised that all was not lost.

Anyway to cut a long story short, I put myself forward to be a living donor. Last year I had to make several trips to the Sussex Kidney unit in Brighton, where I had to undergo all sorts of tests to see if I would be compatible. The upshot was that I am a good match and we are now waiting until such times as my Dad's kidney filtration rate has fallen below a certain level and then we will be given approx two months notice to do the transplant.

As others have said it's not a life saving proceedure, more of a life prolonging one. My Dad is going to be 65 this year so if he can live a normal/active life for the remaining time he has left that's good enough for me.

The more donors that come forward the better life can be for thousands of people. A pre-dialysis transplant has a greater chance of sucess than one carried out after the patient has started dialysis.

Even if you are not compatible with a loved one, you can donate via a pool where there may be say three people willing to donate and can't donate to one of their relatives but could donate to someone else in the same pool. Likewise, someone esle in the pool maybe a suitable match to your relative and so on.

Thanks for highlighting this cause, most people don't even think about it until it actually affects them personally. I know I didn't.....

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. jonnyboy

jonnyboy MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
    Good on you Leigh - I wish that had been an option for us.

1 person likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This is tomorrow.

^^ BUMP ^^

15. Spinal

Spinal MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Smart, S320 and C180 with 3-pointed stars amongst others
    Just saw this thread! To be honest, my first thought was... steak & kidney pie... Especially following the world pancake day!

16. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
    World Kidney Day is on Thursday 8th March 2012 this year.

The 2012 Campaign will focus on the positive outcome of kidney transplantation and the life-saving aspect of organ donation. The slogan for this year's campaign is Donate - Kidneys for Life - Receive.

Can a mod please edit the thread title to 'World Kidney Day - Thursday 8th March 2012'.

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  17. OP
    OP
    npuk

npuk MB Enthusiast

Car:
  18. lesithmaria

lesithmaria New Member

Car:
    no one
    hey thats a great awareness program!! a speacial day to be celebrated on the importance of kidneys...
    i think you people also know that the same day is "world womens day":):):)

1 person likes this.
  19. LESTAYLOR

LESTAYLOR Active Member

Car:
    W210 E320CDI 7 seater Estate, 2004 SL55 with F1 performance pack and a 1985 Mercedes 508D self conve
    I donated a kidney in September 2008. It was the best thing I ever did. Karen is still doing well and enjoying her life. If you are ever asked seriously concider donating. :D

1 person likes this.