World War II Airplanes! Are You Ace Enough to Take this Quiz?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Added name of Wing Commander Ken Wallis

Ken Wallace really was one of aviation's unsung heroes and ought to be more widely recognised as such. As said, a real gent who was interested in all aspects of aviation.

IIRC at least a couple of the 'right' answers weren't actually correct! ;)

Any you can recall?

I stumbled on the US big bomber stats and thought also that the Mustang would have carried canon, but guess long range was afforded by the use of machine guns - but even so, 4 x .50 cal? Was surprised also not to see questions dedicated to the Battle for the Atlantic - although maybe that was part 2, if as suggested, other folks qualified for the next level? :dk:

I read Max Hastings' Bomber Command not so long ago and interesting to read some of the revelations about Harris and his manipulation of statistics so that Churchill would continue with funding.

Also became totally absorbed in Requiem for Battleship Yamato - not dedicated to aircraft, but a beautifully written insight into the air sea war in the Pacific.

Suspect more than one of you have also read the above. Would be very interested in your take.

Any you can recall?

Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't done the quiz yet, but ...
  • The Ju 87's sirens weren't mounted on the wings - they were on the undercarriage legs
  • The B-29 wasn't the first aircraft with a pressurised cabin - the Constellation was pressurised and in service long before (and that may not even have been the first)
  • The XP-82 was arguably not a WW2 aircraft - the first prototype did fly just before VJ day but it didn't go into service (as the P-82) till after the war
  • The C-108 (B-17) wasn't the largest US transport aircraft of WW2 - the C-87 (B-24), Douglas C-54 and C-69 Constellation all had significantly greater wingspans
Those are the ones I remember, possibly others!

Last edited:
My friend went all over the country for most of his life just taking photoes at every air show .He left lots of pictures of planes on discs when he passed away 2 years ago ,.His wife asked me if i wanted them at the time,, i said no ,, .I am not that interested in them, cars then the answer would have been yes. She may still have them if there is any interest i can ask .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom