Worlds Biggest Aircraft

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

riceboy

Car
C270 CDI Avantgarde SE
Hi guys,

I'm pretty new here but thought i might aswell share this: YouTube - Antanov 225

Its a video of an Antanov 225 taken by my buddy while in Florida. Couldn't beleive the size of the thing, meant to be the worlds largest aircraft.

We've just started up our own youtube channel so keep checking back as I'll upload a walkaround and some vids of my w203 shortly.

Thanks

Andrew

Wow...

Though, apparently, the record for the largest wingspan is still held by Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" - 319 ft 11 in (97.54 m) - compared top the AN-225 wingspan of 'only' 290 ft 2 in (88.4 m).

Nevertheless... the AN-225 is BIG.

Last edited:
AN-225 is heavier though ;) The AN-225 is the heaviest airplane in the world :p

There was a second one that was due to be finished in 2010... but never heard of it since...

Have to say, that spruce-goose is unreal. First one made of wood too :S

Thanks for the views guys

I live near Airbus (Broughton). I watch the Beluga several times a week landing/taking off. Not sure how this compares but it is a large aircraft.

I live near Airbus (Broughton). I watch the Beluga several times a week landing/taking off. Not sure how this compares but it is a large aircraft.

Not big at all really. Good enough for a wing section off most planes and some fuselages...looks the dogs though and you understand immediately why they named it.

take off weight is about 160 tonnes compared to an A380 @ 500+

An Antanovs visits East Mids Airport on a regular basis to collect engines from Rolls Royce.
As it takes off it looks like its going in slow motion. It is slow in the air too and just looks like it is hanging in space.

Have to say, that spruce-goose is unreal.

Indeed - but it's all up weight is overshadowed by a modern mid-size airliner.

(Concorde - smaller was probably heavier too).

First one made of wood too :S

If you mean first wooden aircraft - it wasn't.

Indeed - but it's all up weight is overshadowed by a modern mid-size airliner.

(Concorde - smaller was probably heavier too).

If you mean first wooden aircraft - it wasn't.

Sorry, i meant that atleast the first spruce goose was meant to be wooden.

The Spruce Goose is one of a kind .

Wood was chosen for construction - partly for suitability as with other flying boats , but largely because metal was in short supply and required for the war effort , wood was available in abundance .

It was a prototype made for the US military , as a means of transporting large numbers of troops very quickly over long distances . The project was never taken up and the one prototype only ever flew once .

After that , Hughes maintained it in flight ready condition until his death although , sadly , it never flew again .

Last edited:
Sorry, i meant that atleast the first spruce goose was meant to be wooden.

Presumably had they built more they would all have been wood?

The supposed advantage in wartime was using alternative materials and factories so maximising your use of your whole manufacturing base.

The same was said of the De Havilland Mosquito.

I hadn't realised it was a one off as I hadn't heard much about it before now. Its a fascinating aircraft and story though that I'll definately go and look into.

Thanks for the information guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom