World's Fastest Crarsh Test ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is interesting to watch, but I imagine an extremely small percentage of accidents hit an immoveable object at 90 degrees.

Most will be glancing blows, rolls, other vehicles, walls (that at least collapse).

Or two cars approaching each other at 60mph, a more usual scenario. Makes you think though.

Or two cars approaching each other at 60mph, a more usual scenario. Makes you think though.

I made that observation on seeing this video and it was argued that each vehicle still only sees a 60-0 deceleration? I'm not 100% convinced but just found this..

"A common misconception is that this over-representation is because the relative velocity of vehicles traveling in opposite directions is high. It was previously thought that a head-on crash between two vehicles traveling at 50 mph is roughly equivalent to a vehicle hitting a 'wall' (a stationary near-immovable object) at 100 mph. However, experimentation in 2010 showed that due to Newton's Third Law, the actual result of such a collision is equivalent to hitting a stationary near-immovable object at 50 mph"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head-on_collision

Last edited:
35mph rigid wall impacts are still used today as a representative crash test for the above reason.

But whilst they simulate a head on crash, not all accidents are head on. For this reason a 40% offset deformable barrier test, as used in EuroNCAP is also now used. This has the added difficulty of only engaging one of the vehicle's longitudinal crash members, so the deformation is typically higher than in the rigid wall test.

Mythbusters did a faster crash test than that on the last episode on monday night.

They crashed a pickup truck into the back of a saloon car at 300mph.

The pickup was rocket powered and went down a monorail at New Mexico Tech proving ground. Made a right mess.

I once fell of my BMX at about 12mph. Lost some skin on my right knee cap. Bike was fine. Horrendous! :p

I once fell of my BMX at about 12mph. Lost some skin on my right knee cap. Bike was fine. Horrendous! :p

You and this chap need to get together for a drink and compare stories.

[YOUTUBE]JLRDRzMWIsg[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom