Worlds most expensive fuel can

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SGCW124

Car
W124 estate
Gulp!......

took a fancy to an all metal MB emergency fuel can .........very neat as it fits inside the spare wheel.

So..........ordered one and collected today.........

Blimey 40 quid.... shame I didn't have the B*ll**ks to ignore the raised eyebrows & smirk of the bloke behind me in the parts dept

I supose ........some saving grace is that it can fit most mercs, so when I eventually swap cars...........

it is also an engineering tour de force and MB overengineered .........(.author trying to rationalise the purchase here folks.......)

going for a large drink now............... is there anyone else on here got one of these things or am I completely in barmy isolation? :eek:

Steve W124 Estate

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see picture of what it looks like in place when you get it.

James

SGCW124 said:
Gulp!......

is there anyone else on here got one of these things or am I completely in barmy isolation? :eek:

Steve W124 Estate
I think you must be in barmy isolation :p I've neverheard of one until this week.Sounds a good idea tho,No fuel can sliding all over the boot and possibly leaking if it turned over!
Got to agree with JOM on this,Would be interesting to have a look at one.

Oh and welcome to the forum or madhouse or whatever :D
:bannana: :bannana:

Fuel Can

Will try to post pic ASA I can borrow a digital camera

Next time your at the stealers pop into the parts dept ....they can show you one or at least a "parts drawing" on one, or indeed pick up an accessories brochure which might possibly show one..... it really is a piece of work..............designed to fit inside the spare wheel- whatever orientation the wheel occupies..mega secure closure seal too.

The guy said there's a variety of fitting bolts you order to enable it to fit whatever model of MB you drive

Steve

with a price such as that 40 quid if i had bought this can i would probably treat it as a a sort of "novelty" item , the sort of thing you keep and show people at GTGs and so on !

PPS. welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Im sure mobilo come with fuel anyways if youre silly enough to run out.... :crazy:

This is the 7 litre fuel can from the a-class accessories brochure:

Attachments

• fuelcan.jpg
    fuelcan.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 187
YUP

thats the very same.............

I'm going to fill it up tomorrow.............not that I'm silly enough to run out of fuel you understand......but I am married,,,,,,,,,,,and have errant children................ :eek:

Steve

Last edited:
SGCW124 said:
YUP

thats the very same.............

I'm going to fill it up tomorrow.............not that I'm silly enough to run out of fuel you understand......but I am married,,,,,,,,,,,and have errant children................ :eek:

Steve

I ment that in as much as if you run the tank right down youre sucking all the krud up from the bottom of it .... I was more getting at the Reserve dodgers .. or orange gamblers trying to work out how many more fresh air miles they have left :D Rather than the odd forgetful moment

fuzzer said:
I ment that in as much as if you run the tank right down youre sucking all the krud up from the bottom of it ....
If you always run it low then it's no problem, you get an even amount of crud/fuel so it doesn't accumulate and become a problem. If you don't run it below a quarter for 10 years THEN decide to run low, you suck all the crud up then you might be in trouble. Also, the crud will probably be floating on the top, not the bottom ;)

I like the idea of the oem fuel container, it would not only be a saviour for yourself, but also maybe for another motorist in trouble, much like the first-aid kit, which I hope I will never have to use.

It's Mobilo Life's job for me :D

Although must tell you this - the other day saw a brand new MGTF, with two young guys in suits with boot up. Hot day - had a hard top on :crazy: - looked like someone showing off his new shiny toy - fair do's. Until another guy arrived - with some petrol in a can :D :D :D :bannana: I reckon it was the sales guy on a sales pitch - that'd go well with a customer - not!! :D

fuzzer said:
I ment that in as much as if you run the tank right down youre sucking all the krud up from the bottom of it ....

hmm, i thought the fuel filter takes care of this crud ??

10l metal fuel can - halfords £16 or 10l plastic diesel can £10
Can't justify getting a smaller can for £40
Rgds
Les

I saw one in the accessories catalogue. It does look very neat.

I would not buy one - as I have never run out of petrol (so far in 30 years of motoring). :D

But if a 10Litre can from Halfords is £16 then the Mercedes accessory can is very much worth the premium in terms of design and utility (hiding in spare wheel). As you move on, as long as you buy another Merc, you can move your elegant can with you.

I doubt Merc are making much of a profit on these.

MM.........

think you might be correct about the elegant bit as my mates have dubbed it the stuttgart Handbag !

Steve

Last edited:
SGCW124 said:
Gulp!......

it is also an engineering tour de force and MB overengineered .........(.author trying to rationalise the purchase here folks.......)

going for a large drink now............... is there anyone else on here got one of these things or am I completely in barmy isolation? :eek:

Steve W124 Estate

No, you have done well! Next time touring in Europe I shall get one. Look really neat and I think a good solution to a practical issue. (If anyone dares to complain, I shall get it chrome plated, put some blue lights under the luggage floor and tell them it is a rare show car feature.)

Yes, you can get plastic cans from Halfords much cheaper but where do they go? Answer: sitting in the boot or luggage area looking all cheap and nasty waiting to fall over or leak

That is a quality product, so be proud!

ok ok , i must admit that the more i think about it, the more i am tempted to get one. As has been mentioned before, its a neat way of filling the space in the middle of the spare tyre. Having said that, in the boot of a W202 (and I assume any other merc) there is a large space on the right of the boot, next to the battery, which looks to be made for putting in ordinary shaped fuel cans or other water/liquid containers without ever falling over.

The other thing is that the fuel consumption of my C43 is pitiful. Last time i estimated it, a full tank lasts about 170 miles :eek: (the fuel tank of the C43 is the same size as any other W202, ( i think about 45L-50L, even though the engine at 4300cc is considerably more thirsty).

Although it hasnt happend yet, its only a matter of time before i forget to fill up and i am caught out in the middle of somewhere with v. little or no fuel.

Last edited:
I was more getting at the Reserve dodgers .. or orange gamblers trying to work out how many more fresh air miles they have left Rather than the odd forgetful moment

Yep ur right there Jason.
My wife thinks I'm crazy but I always go thro the red b4 I fill up :eek:
I have got caught out once and swore I'd never do it again but ....I just can't help it I gotta get the last bit out b4 I fill up.. :crazy:
I think I should invest in something like this! What a great idea but not for £40 squids!!

John Peerce said:
The other thing is that the fuel consumption of my C43 is pitiful. Last time i estimated it, a full tank lasts about 170 miles :eek: (the fuel tank of the C43 is the same size as any other W202, ( i think about 45L-50L, even though the engine at 4300cc is considerably more thirsty).

I would have liked the fuel tank to be bigger too, however, for a 306 bhp beast I think consumption is very reasonable.

Did a return trip from Denmark to Belgium this w/e with cruising speeds around 180 km/h with the occassional run to 240+ km/h, and it returned about 8 km/l (no idea how much this is in MPG :crazy: ).

Driving it gently on A roads with speeds around 110 km/h it returns 10 km/l.

That said, I think I will get this fancy fuel cannister :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom