Worldwide Ebay strike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
that will be about as popular as the last round of petrol protests or the "don't buy from BP/Esso/Shell" campaign.

It would also help if the "facts" they quoted were true which of course most of them weren't.

Please buyers go on strike, it will mean more bargains for those wo decide to carry on shopping

I would love all the dodgy sellers who are the target of his latest blitz to go on strike and never come back

Sounds like a win win for honest sellers and buyers

:D

Andy

I have far more trouble with deadbeat buyers than troublesome sellers.

I have more hassle with dishonest/deadbeat sellers than buyers so what does that prove? that there are a lot of crap eBayers around? How does going on strike solve that?

I LOVE this idea!

All the sellers who are outraged by the new feedback system dissapear, so a load of sellers I would have quarells with anyhow dissapear. At the same time, a load of buyers leave - hence less people to bid against...

I look forward to some bargains between the 18th and the 25th!

Michele

I have more hassle with dishonest/deadbeat sellers than buyers so what does that prove? that there are a lot of crap eBayers around? How does going on strike solve that?

I don't believe I said it would.

I was merely making an observation based on hundreds of ebay transactions, 90% of which are as a a seller.

I'm with Andy on this and have been ripped off a couple of times, but I know that if I give the seller a bad feedback, they will simply return the compliment even though I have paid for the goods straight away.

Ebay is a great place to shop but it is also seventh heaven for a large criminal element to prey on the innocent and naive.

Complaining to Ebay is as much use as asking the police to deal with a hit and run incident :devil: :devil:

John

Can you go off topic on off topic posts?
Background music is of course Beethoven's 9th. Question is what version?
Well it's not the relentless drive of NBC/Toscannini, so maybe Klemperer or Furtwangler? Or maybe a modern set up?
Suggestions please.

I know what you mean. I sold an item to someone who disappeared after winning the auction. One week after the auction, he had neither paid for the item or answered any of my e-mails.

He then contacted me to say he would use his mates PayPal account to send the payment as he did not have one (or a bank account, I suspect, or even any money). This payment never arrived as promised and a further week of ignoring my e-mails passed.

I then gaven him an ultimatum, if he had not paid within a further week, I would relist the item and report him as a non-paying bidder and leave negative feedback. No money arrived and he ignored my latest e-mails so I reported him as promised.

He then returned negative feedback to me stating "expected payment within one day, unreasonable e-bayer". Despite making no attempts to pay for the item & over three weeks passing since he won the auction!

This is the only negative I have ever recieved, so do the E-Bay changes mean he could now leave me negative as a buyer and I would be unable as a seller to warn others of his e-bay behaviour?

Having recently had my Paypal account hijacked through no fault of my own, I think I will join this strike against E-Bay (as owners of Paypal), but will seriously consider any alternatives for buying & selling in the future, mainly due to the attitude of both e-bay & Paypal when you have any kind of dispute with them.

Russ

My personal experiences with EBAY have been mixed over the years. It was certainly loads better 10 years ago than it is now. EBAY don't help themselves either since they do little to improve the flawed system for disputes, feedback, etc. Nor do the exhorbitant charges help either, small wonder they're called Fee-bay.
I was sort of hoping that more of the smaller auction sites would gain momentum although for choice none can match ebay. But, perhaps some clever **** will develop a nice front-end site which searches all the auction sites at once for your desired items. Sure Google will find certain auction items but it also finds a lot of unrelated stuff as well. What we need is a site (could be an option on Google even) which searches ONLY auction sites and maybe even gives a load of checkboxes so the user can specify which sites to search.
But, EBAYs' recent antics, particularly their protection racket otherwise known as PAYPAL, does lend credence to the theories about the death of EBAY. It is too expensive by and large for sellers, there are too many idiots going unchecked by EBAY, the feedback system is all wrong; it should be a series of straight YES/NO questions, i.e. was payment received within 48 hrs? Y/N etc. It should also be monitored for untruths with the suspension of dodgy accounts etc. But of course, this would not increase the fees EBAY receive so that is never going to happen.
Plus of course, if there was a site for searching all auctions then perhaps more sellers would be encouraged to use the smaller ones since they would get just as much exposure and thus they could leave EBAY with the confidence that they would not be starting from scratch.
For what it's worth, I personally feel we should join the boycott and maintain some solidarity in showing EBAY that they are not our masters. They are providing a service which makes them servants who should be doing their best to earn our business, not dictating to us and riding roughshod over all moral correctness and generally treating their customers shoddily.
I don't sell much on EBAY, mainly because there are too many timewasters on there but I shall not be buying anything during that week for sure. I am but one man, but then, so was Spartacus! EBAY need taking down quite a few pegs, Fact.

Very supportive of you :rolleyes:.
I try my best...

I know what you mean. I sold an item to someone who disappeared after winning the auction. One week after the auction, he had neither paid for the item or answered any of my e-mails.

He then contacted me to say he would use his mates PayPal account to send the payment as he did not have one (or a bank account, I suspect, or even any money). This payment never arrived as promised and a further week of ignoring my e-mails passed.

I then gaven him an ultimatum, if he had not paid within a further week, I would relist the item and report him as a non-paying bidder and leave negative feedback. No money arrived and he ignored my latest e-mails so I reported him as promised.

He then returned negative feedback to me stating "expected payment within one day, unreasonable e-bayer". Despite making no attempts to pay for the item & over three weeks passing since he won the auction!

This is the only negative I have ever recieved, so do the E-Bay changes mean he could now leave me negative as a buyer and I would be unable as a seller to warn others of his e-bay behaviour?

Having recently had my Paypal account hijacked through no fault of my own, I think I will join this strike against E-Bay (as owners of Paypal), but will seriously consider any alternatives for buying & selling in the future, mainly due to the attitude of both e-bay & Paypal when you have any kind of dispute with them.

Russ
This post, along with many others makes me wonder how many people have actually bothered to read exactly what the changes are.

For those that haven't read them; surf here:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/businesscentre/2008bsrl/feedback-update.html

To answer your questions (I'm assuming they are not rethorical); in your case, you would not have been able to leave feedback to the buyer, but - you would have reported him as a NPB. eBay would then either ban him or "warn him" (i.e. ban him if it happened again).

100% feedback? Well, your feedback percentage will now be based on the last 12 months; so after 12 months of making your buyers happy, you will be back to 100%.

Should you find yourself with a deadbeat buyer and a name/address (usually registered with eBay) an investment of £25 can do wonders. See:
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/infoabout/claims/index.htm
http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/onlineservices/mcol/index.htm

To put it simply, if you own a store on the high street and someone walks out without paying; you don't spray paint him red for other shops to see. You call the cops, and they will give you a reference number to claim off insurance. In an ideal world, they will even make him/her return/pay for the item... eBay is doing precisely that. You will get your fees refunded by eBay; your negative feedback will be removed should you be able to prove the seller didn't pay and everything will proceed as normal. Similarly, if you don't satisfy your customer, even if they were being unreasonable - you can bet your store they will tell all their friends to avoid you!

As a PRIVATE buyer and seller on eBay, all I can say is: eBay was designed as a way for individuals to trade collectables - not as a marketplace for large traders. If a few large traders stop using eBay for a few weeks, all the better.

Do you seriously screen all your buyers? If someone bids on my items and has the odd negative - I won't care. If he has excessive negatives.. well, under the new system he would have been banned by now! I often add BIN prices - its pretty hard to read their feedback before they bid...

I for one commend eBay on FINALLY listening to buyers complaints! (That said, eBay isn't guilt free... I still want to see google-checkout allowed as a form of payment, and have quite some qualms with paypal)

Michele

Nice idea in theory, but can't see it will happen.

Russ

If he didn't respond to a NPB dispute ebay will remove his negative FB if you request it.

I have made it a point to neg anyone who doesn't pay me & have stuck to that rule. I've negged about 12 people out of 800 odd transactions. Nothing personal, just the facts

I figured anyone who bothers to read my fb will see I'm OK & recognise retaliatory fb from peeved, negged non payers.

If you don't neg these buttholes they'll just continue to do the same again & again.

So far I've received no negs in retaliation.

To answer your questions (I'm assuming they are not rethorical); in your case, you would not have been able to leave feedback to the buyer, but - you would have reported him as a NPB. eBay would then either ban him or "warn him" (i.e. ban him if it happened again).Michele

Yeh right, this is the same e-bay who has refused to ban someone after sending me a box containing an old book instead of a TomTom. Despite paying out the maximum to me in compensation for "item not as described", the other party was left to carry on as normal. Very reassuring I don't think.

Russ

just got another neg off a deadbeat seller :( - advertises a "high quality print" sends crappy photocopy on paper so thin you could see through it and with the artists signature tippexed out.

I complain and get a rude email in which they offered to refund just my postage otherwise they will be out of pocket and saying if i leave negative feedback they will do the same for me!

The sooner the better eBay kick these morons off the better

Andy

I complain and get a rude email in which they offered to refund just my postage otherwise they will be out of pocket and saying if i leave negative feedback they will do the same for me!

Andy

Forward the email to eBay - they say that they take feedback blackmails quite seriously...

Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom