Worried/confused about gearbox noise

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Dizz, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Dizz

Dizz Active Member

Car:
    CLK320 (w209)
    I have had my 2004 CLK320 for about three weeks and on the test drive the automatic transmission made no noise and had very smooth gear changes and kick down.
    On about week two I noticed a feint speed related rubbing/chaffing sound coming from the gear stick/selector when slowing down and excelerating but not noticeable above 20-30 mph, at first I thought it was just me getting to know the car better, little noises and rattles etc.
    Week three it got a little louder but I then noticed it was worse on a right hand bend or roundabout and could vanish completely at any point in my journey for no apparent reason.
    Also be it cold or warmed up the noise can still be heard.
    Now in the last two days I have been to Nottingham and back (260 miles) and coming off the motorway on the way home and slowing down to 20-30mph it was a lot louder and very noticeable (even the wife committed on it) we carried on for about 2-3 miles and it went quite again, the gear changes and kick down are still as smooth as ever......what's going on?
    Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Stratman

Stratman MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200 CDI '04Estate
    No need to worry, it's highly likely to be the parking brake cable rubbing on the propshaft. It's held in place by plastic clips which are famous for breaking, allowing the cable to cause alarm and despondency.

You'll need to remove the exhaust heat shield under the transmission tunnel to see the various bits and bobs and take remedial action.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Dizz

Dizz Active Member

Car:
    CLK320 (w209)

Thanks, I'm feeling a bit more positive now, that would explain why is gets worse on right hand bends, G forces pushing it against the prop shaft perhaps?
    I planning a transmission oil change as I have no service record showing it's been done in the 91,000 miles, probably get it fixed/checked out then.

4. Nigelbilly

Nigelbilly New Member

Car:
    2003 c180 kompressor
    Sounds like the same problem that I have.
    Have you looked at yours and found the problem?

5. OP
    OP
    Dizz

Dizz Active Member

Car:
    CLK320 (w209)

Not yet, but I'm sure that's what it is as I can make it come and go by turning either left or right.

6. OP
    OP
    Dizz

Dizz Active Member

Car:
    CLK320 (w209)
    Right it's booked into PCS for investigation, will update when it's resolved (hopefully)