Worrying engine noise - video link

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr. shr

MB Enthusiast
Hi All,

For the last few days I've noticed this worrying noise on my W202.
Here's a YouTube link.

A couple of weeks ago the engine oil level light intermittently came on and off. The onboard digital level meter said to add 1.5L.
I drove the car about 80 miles before getting to add the 1.5 litres.

So I'm wondering if that temporary shortage of oil has upset the tappets or something?
Not really sure how to proceed.
I've had it on STAR and a compression test was fine. What other STAR tests can I do?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
shr.

A selfish bump here, hoping someone can offer some suggestions?

Hi All,

For the last few days I've noticed this worrying noise on my W202.
Here's a YouTube link.

A couple of weeks ago the engine oil level light intermittently came on and off. The onboard digital level meter said to add 1.5L.
I drove the car about 80 miles before getting to add the 1.5 litres.

So I'm wondering if that temporary shortage of oil has upset the tappets or something?
Not really sure how to proceed.
I've had it on STAR and a compression test was fine. What other STAR tests can I do?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks,
shr.

Sounds like a dry tappet to me. I assume they are hydraulic in that engine. Does the oil light come on after you added oil?

Might be just the purge valve, at least 2 threads on this in the last week with ways to confirm.

Sounds like a dry tappet to me. I assume they are hydraulic in that engine. Does the oil light come on after you added oil?

Engine oil light not coming on at all since topping up the oil.

Yesterday, I put a bottle of this tappet cleaner stuff from Helfrauds.
I've noticed it's only excessively noisy on start up for a few mins. Then it quietens down. (Not sure if that's as a result of the cleaner stuff).

Tomorrow I plan to change the oil. I also bought a can of this stuff to put in before I do the oil change.
Not sure if doing this will make any difference or not though. :dk:

Might be just the purge valve, at least 2 threads on this in the last week with ways to confirm.

Will have a search for this.
I think I saw something about a purge test on STAR. Will have a look at this again too.

Just had a quick search. I've come across that purge MOT valve before wondering why it click click clicks so much.
I understand that clicking from there is normal.

I don't feel the noise I'm getting is from the purge valve.

The Purge MOT Valve ticking is normal. Regarding the tapping noise I have used the Wynn's Hydraulic Valve Lifter cleaner previously and it is good at reducing the lenth of time the tappets are noisy .

Mine only lasts for a few seconds and not minutes. I personnally don't like the engine flush products as it could dislodge sediment and block channels but thats only my opinion.

I would drain the oil and when adding the new oil put in another dose of the valve lifter cleaner product.

hope this helps

brendan

Update:

Hi again,
Did the oil change 2 days ago:
Initially, the tappet noise was still there and quite apparent. Drove around for a bit (combination of town and dual carriageways) and by the time I got home, noise seemed to have stopped.
I let the engine cool off for a couple of hours, and started her up again in the evening when she was cold. Still no noise.
Put her to bed in the garage overnight. Following morning, still no noise on start up.
Same again this morning.

So hopefully, the combination of the Lifter Cleaner solution, the Engine Flush product and the oil change have done the job (or maybe just the oil change on it's own was enough to cure it?)

It might well come back again, but it's a 16 year old car worth about a tank of petrol!!!!
I'm happy enough for now until mrs. shr buys me an S500 later this year for my big (old man) birthday!!!

Thanks for the support everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom