Worrying Noise....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paulrstaylor

My car has developed what I would describe as a knocking noise over rought road surfaces, cats eyes etc. from the drivers side fromt wheel area.

The car has covered about 80K motorway miles, so I guessed it was either a shock or a bearing.

Jacked it up tonight, to check for play. There was a couple of mm vertical play on the driver’s side, only about 1mm on the passenger. So I think it is looking more likely that the noise is the bearings have worn.

Any other suggestions, is this a common problem?

My car has a few months warantee left on it, so I guess I will book it in at the stealer.....

My guess would be track rod...:)

Similar symptoms on the 300TD were diagnosed as that at last service - completely cured now :D

Sounds like a track rod, the ends do tend to go a lot. ;)

Originally posted by Lust4Life
We were helpful, weren't we :)

Hope it's not too bad.

Cheers,

Phil

I'm not to fussed how "bad" it is, so long as they find a fault. I only have a few monthe warantee left before I get to pick up the bill !

Well, took my car to the dealer yesterday, and as is always the case the noise dissapeared as soon as the service manager got in the car.

As the car is under warantee, and MB were paying he agreed to replace the front roll bar bushes today.

I took it in this morning, and they have done this work. They valeted the car for me to!!

But, I realised as I got home the locking wheelnut "key" was at home! Can this work be done with the wheels on the car, or am I being led down the garden path??

they do not need to take the wheels of afaik.

Well the noise seems to have gone anyway....:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom