worrying time in my Mercedes 270 clk

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajenks

Hi Guys

I have just completed my first week on the road in my 2003 270cdi CLK. as I am sure you know it's been raining almost everyday this week and the roads have been wet, I have driven about 600 mile and on three separate occasion I have managed to induce a small slide at the back (little kick out)

It has always been as I was exiting a roundabout (on very we road), the car shifts (auto box) and there has been a momentary slide before everything gets back into shape, I have new tyres on the back (P600's)

haveing just come out of a long spell in Audi A4's (company cars) and drove these a lot harder then I have been driving the Merc on it first week.

I don't believe my expectation were higher than the cars capability, the car should go through the bend at the sort of speed I was traveling at in the dry or wet without any problems.

I was wondering if tyre pressure is critical on the CLK or if it has anything to do with gearbox changing characteristics, the box has a much more snappy change when compared to an Auto Audi I recently drove, I have been leaving the shifter in D (not used the + - manual shift) and I have left it set to S (standard) as I found C (comfort) usually struggles to get up and go from a standing start.

Really appreciate your thought's

You need to adapt your driving style to that of a rear-wheel drive.

You are probably getting on the throttle a tad earlier than you should be.

^ Agreed. You do not seem to be compensating for the RWD. On the other hand enjoy it.

Your rear tyres may be new but Pirellis are not great in the wet which will not help.

Russ

Thats quite a torquey car and as such will need a modicum of respect in the wet.
Tyre pressures should be checked and make tread sure wear is even.
The front tyres should always changed at the same time as the rears. To have new rear tyres and oldish front tyres is a recipe for sliding in the wet especially.
Obvious really, but make sure your ESP is switched on.

You need to adapt your driving style to that of a rear-wheel drive.

You are probably getting on the throttle a tad earlier than you should be.
Hey thanks, I have considered this but as I wasn't really heavily accelerating was looking else where. you can usually tell when an acceleration induced spin is going to occur and the first time it happen i was a little shocked.

thanks for the advise though I will take it on board

Aj

Last edited:
As post #5 and the Link in #6 Pirelli P6000's are absolutely shocking particularly in the wet and coupled with a brisk driving style sooner or later that back end will kick out and you won't get it back. I had a full 360 on a roundabout by putting it in at what I thought was moderate, never been anywhere near them since, a cheap fleet tyre not made for performance driving IMHO

^ Agreed. You do not seem to be compensating for the RWD. On the other hand enjoy it.
There seem to be a theme running through this thread Aj has a heavy left foot. Must admit the only rear wheel vehicle i have drive over the last couple of years had a gross weight of 40 ton

Cheers guys, start wearing my carpet slippers when driving from Monday

As post #5 and the Link in #6 Pirelli P6000's are absolutely shocking particularly in the wet and coupled with a brisk driving style sooner or later that back end will kick out and you won't get it back. I had a full 360 on a roundabout by putting it in at what I thought was moderate, never been anywhere near them since, a cheap fleet tyre not made for performance driving IMHO
Thanks for info, i am worried enough to be considering throwing the new tyres away, i am not looking forward to a whole winter on them especially as the car is new to me

Take a look at this thread.

LINK
Thanks for link, general view seem to be either i have a heavy foot or p600 are not a lot of good, i know which one i believe

Shame the tyre are new i believe they cost the previous owner £170 a corner

Thats quite a torquey car and as such will need a modicum of respect in the wet.
Tyre pressures should be checked and make tread sure wear is even.
The front tyres should always changed at the same time as the rears. To have new rear tyres and oldish front tyres is a recipe for sliding in the wet especially.
Obvious really, but make sure your ESP is switched on.
You make a valid point i will have a closer look at the front tyres, i like to fit a new set, but as they are quite an investment nowadays you can't afford to change them if they still have a lot of tread.

Cheer

Aj

I've got well worn Michelin Primacy HP's on the back of my C270CDi and drove an unusual way home the other day due to a road closure.

I had to drive 3/4 around a pretty tight roundabout in the wet and the back-end stepped out sharply as I went around the roundabout - first time that's happened in the 4 years I've had the car.

What was really embarrassing is that facing me, at the straight ahead point on the roundabout, was a Police car. :doh: I was all set for a "discussion" but it just drove off the other way. Phew!

Perhaps you should do most of your driving in'C' until you get a feel for the car (or the roads dry !) Or you could try learning the stock car driving tecnique for cornering 'Chuck it in sideways, & sort it out later' :thumb:

As long as ESP is kept on its should bring a little [safe]excitement to a drive. Probably worth while getting used to rear drive though, as I did when i got my first MB. Have to say, I have a similar feeling about P6000s too - could just be me, but if others are thinking the same.....also, aren't new tyres a bit slippery anyway? I've foudn that with all new tyres until they're scrubbed and bedded in.

My Michelins behave nicely !

CAMBRIDGE(shire) GTG This Saturday (21st)

If the roads are wet many cars will step out. I can do it easily, but the esp catches it. As I said before, enjoy (but not too much).

It might be the case that the P6000s aren't the best tyre out there, especially in the wet - but we're talking a contributory % here out of a number of factors - road conditions (ie raining), temperature (I assume cool/cold), the lateral force applied from cornering (fair-moderate considering it's a roundabout), the applied torque (a fair bit from a 270CDI) etc.

In short - you'll need to get used to that regardless. It possibly wouldn't have happened or been so dramatic on another brand/type of tyre, but with a little more rain, or a bit less tread, bit more speed etc it'd have happened sooner or later.

Try and adapt your driving technique slightly to that of RWD, especially now the winter is coming. And if you're not happy with the tyres, change them. I expect if they're nearly new you'll get a reasonable amount back for them S/H on eBay or similar.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom