Worst Cars Of All Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Currently driving an 18 ton Iveco truck. With an auto gearbox. Useless isn't a strong enough word.

I nominate it

Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk

But for almost none of the reasons you mention, except the last.

It had the potential to be a very good car indeed, otherwise ruined and consigned to a laughing stock by finest BL bodging and "that'll do" attitude.

Its "laughing stock" reputation is very much a later trend and often perpetrated by people who have never driven one, let alone owned one.

By the late 70s, many of the early problems had been addressed and the car was at #5 in the best seller list so it can't have been as bad as people perceive it today.

And with its transverse engine / fwd set-up, front disc brakes and hydragas suspension it was also more advanced in engineering terms than most of its competitors.

Its "laughing stock" reputation is very much a later trend and often perpetrated by people who have never driven one, let alone owned one.

By the late 70s, many of the early problems had been addressed and the car was at #5 in the best seller list so it can't have been as bad as people perceive it today.

And with its transverse engine / fwd set-up, front disc brakes and hydragas suspension it was also more advanced in engineering terms than most of its competitors.

A great use of 'Turd Polish'

The worse car I have driven personally was a brand new 1998 Kia Shuma 1.6L automatic (rental) .

I generally love to drive all sort of cars, big and small, fast and slow, but this one was just bad in every possible way....

A Ford dealer lent me a manual Kia Shuma as a courtesy car while they sorted out electrical gremlins on my company Mondeo. I couldn't wait to give it back.

Citroen Picasso. If you park next to one at a supermarket you just know you're going to come back to a ding in your door.

Citroen~Xsara~Picasso~(4).jpg

Renault lol

I disagree with the w168, i love ours, I also loved my Xantia lol

But i think this is the biggest sack of .... to come out for ages

avantime_6.jpg

In my 6 months ownership , from new , I had numerous electrical issues , the oil filler cap melted , causing oil to spew all over the engine bay , both rear hydrangeas suspension units failed on separate occasions , the back seat collapsed - I'm sure there was more , but it was 40 years ago and my memory isn't that great ...

I had planned to buy one of the last German built VW Beetles , but my dad persuaded me that this was a much more modern car , cheaper to run and would serve me better !!

The Beetle I had been looking at was one of the silver final edition with the plaque on the dashboard certifying it was no 98 of the last 100 officially sold in the UK !! What would that be worth now ? And I bet it would still be running ...

Last edited:
garycat;2478451[IMG said:
https://images.honestjohn.co.uk/imagecache/file/fit/730x700/media/5099647/Citroen~Xsara~Picasso~(4).jpg[/IMG]

All the understeer in the world, contained in a single vehicle.

garycat said:
Citroen Picasso. If you park next to one at a supermarket you just know you're going to come back to a ding in your door.

so true

They used to say in the 70's that Ford Cortinas were bought by people who didn't like cars, to confirm their prejudices....

Nowadays, the Citeron Picasso fills that need, together with a few others (anything Peugeot, Dacia, etc, etc)

The Dacia is well engineered, cheap and honest.
The Avantime, a bad car? Somebody missed the point. Although it is too big for four (But not an exercise in obesity like certain Audis or MBs,) it was comfortable, and handled crisply for a fast van. Not bad at all. AS for the Allegro making number six in the sales charts, it was once considered a good thing to buy British. There are few poorly engineered cars these days but the W210 series have not stood the test of time like certain other cars.

Out of the MB's I'd have to say the original CLC is the worst :ban:

Thankfully , not in my ownership .

It was traded in to Lyndhurst Motors in Tillicoultry ( VW dealers ) against the Audi 100 - RLS 767P , and I never saw it again :D

Sadly , I don't have any pictures of the All-Aggro ( never kept it long enough , nor became at all fond of it ) , but here's one of the Audi - which was just such a good car , and ran alongside my Ponton and my 280E .

Were they all that colour...an uncle had an identical one in the early 70s (without the spot lights).

What about the abomination, that is the B class?

Sent from my Apple product using Crapatalk
Utter nonsense - excellent car, especially before 2011. W245 transports 5 people and their luggage in comfort, with the footprint of a Ford Focus. Handling is fine for such a car and the SE ride on decent tyres is fine. They are also proving robust and long-lived. What's not to like?

Anything at all with one of these nailed to the front

Attachments

• 01vauxhallnewbadge.jpg
    01vauxhallnewbadge.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom