Worst Cars Of All Time

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So that All-agro was 8 years old when it hit the great scrapyard in the sky (Coventry more likely).
All-agro would be consistent with my family's experience.

It's the only car my father ever bought brand new, and the reason he'd never do it again. - The short version is the engine was terrible, and he had to pay to replace it himself because the dealer couldn't reproduce the fault in a drive around the block.

The car which most disappointed me was the Toyota Celica (RA60). - It looked quite good compares with other cars of the same age, but never delivered with any "go". Coupled with poor functioning power windows and sunroof, and capped-off with the alternator falling off the engine.

Dad had the much later Mk5 crusader. Postbox red. Nice car in its day I guess.

Yeah my dad had a Cortina Ghia estate in brown then a Granada Chassuer....
1abe0cfcf09a63a2159626783b568e5a.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Volvo 345DL
b4336c0c0a54d150e5fa278c816dea62.jpg

I had one of those! Not the best to drive but it was exceptionally comfortable. Far better seats than most other mid size family cars.

It isn't easy being beige! Were Itals and Allegros usually beige or is that just association of ideas? My parents had a "sandalwood" Austin Metro for a year or two - horrible thing, think my Dad was secretly relieved when some idiot nicked it.
Other examples abound here: Blog : BL - 50 Shades of Beige - AROnline : AROnline

Last edited:
I had a MKI Cortina, when they were relatively new cars. Great to look at with their CND rear lights and fun to drive, they could sniff rain in Africa. AT that point any attempt to start them was doomed to failure. Industrial vats of Damp Start were your only hope - I still have the bald eyebrows from the backfires.

I had no idea you were that old. I'd have put you in your 60s.

It isn't easy being beige! Were Itals and Allegros usually beige or is that just association of ideas? My parents had a "sandalwood" Austin Metro for a year or two - horrible thing, think my Dad was secretly relieved when some idiot nicked it.
Other examples abound here: Blog : BL - 50 Shades of Beige - AROnline : AROnline

My All-Aggro was a sort of metallic blue .

The worst I've driven was the Talbot Solara

Talbot~Solara~(4).jpg

We had them as pool cars in the early '80s. I had the gearlever come off in my hand in one, and another (almost brand new) stopped without warning in the outside lane of the M1. Hideous things. We also had the Alpine which was the hatchback version but at least that wasn't quite as ugly. There was also a single Avenger, which I always tried to book. Happy days.

I do think we're rather spoilt when it comes to cars these days because the age of the truly awful ones is firmly in the past.

OK, there are still some with questionable aesthetics, but I honestly can't think of anything currently that achieves the heady top step of turd-dom by combining horrendous looks, rubbish engineering and awful build quality :(

The BL offerings of the 1970's such as the Marina, Ital and Allegro normally feature high up on these threads because they majored on awful build quality. In terms of aesthetics they were often no better nor worse than their contemporaries, while in terms of engineering they were in some respects quite advanced, but in others hamstrung due to lack of development funds.

Right thinking about it, here is the worst car I ever drove:

FSO Polonez
e144ce0b2177049148127dabf33d9d0f.jpeg

ee8a087d214ebe9f0e47c917827d32b3.jpeg

The interior was horrific

I win !

:fail

My partner had one of these in the early 90's. It was awful.
When we came to sell it my dad bought it off her, took the back seats Out, put metal plates over the back windows and sold it on as a van for more than double what he gave for it.

I do think we're rather spoilt when it comes to cars these days because the age of the truly awful ones is firmly in the past.

OK, there are still some with questionable aesthetics, but I honestly can't think of anything currently that achieves the heady top step of turd-dom by combining horrendous looks, rubbish engineering and awful build quality :(

The BL offerings of the 1970's such as the Marina, Ital and Allegro normally feature high up on these threads because they majored on awful build quality. In terms of aesthetics they were often no better nor worse than their contemporaries, while in terms of engineering they were in some respects quite advanced, but in others hamstrung due to lack of development funds.
Hmm... Land Wind?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Right thinking about it, here is the worst car I ever drove:

FSO Polonez
e144ce0b2177049148127dabf33d9d0f.jpeg

ee8a087d214ebe9f0e47c917827d32b3.jpeg

The interior was horrific

I'm not sure why or how I remember this but my dads Polonez cost him £2495 brand new. :eek:

If that rear window thing closed downwards it would look like the GLS / X6, no wonder they are considered ugly. They are a Rhodius without the pop up rear window :eek:

Assume you have seen this:
37818d921c8490ee0cc52703e14badcd.png

https://youtu.be/iG7rR-cjnx8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom