Worst Engine Ever Made?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My girlfriend (now wife) had an old Imp we bought for pennies at auction, other than replacing the partially seized bushes and pins on the steering and messy interior carpet, I remember it had grease nipples :) It ran fine and drove well.

Until we sold it to a friend of ours - giving her strict instructions on how to manage the potential overheating issue - who overheated it to death on a run to the airport giving her friend a lift while running late. :(

The Audi 100LS I had from '76-'79 would oil up No. 5 plug regularly due to the rearward engine slant and tilt. Eventually replaced all the piston rings with Heppolite items and it was a little better, but clearly Audi had a built-in design flaw in the early 5 pots.

Lovely car apart from that. Remember replacing the heater matrix which failed during a trip to Yorkshire in the bad winter of 78/9 with one from a scrapyard ... had to climb up 4 cars high and take it out myself ... those were the days!

Scrapyards. They were an essential part of motoring for an average working man. Spent many hours in the pouring rain wrestling with scrap cars to get the bit i needed. Seem to remember taking my young son with me, both of us scrambling over swaying piles of scrap cars to find what we needed. Health & Safety? What’s that?

There was no other choice. Couldn’t afford new parts. I suppose the nearest equivalent now is ebay.

Mitsubishi L200 2.5 TD. Not only the engine was poor, but the entire ride of the vehicle. Poor

Scrapyards. They were an essential part of motoring for an average working man. Spent many hours in the pouring rain wrestling with scrap cars to get the bit i needed. Seem to remember taking my young son with me, both of us scrambling over swaying piles of scrap cars to find what we needed. Health & Safety? What’s that?

There was no other choice. Couldn’t afford new parts. I suppose the nearest equivalent now is ebay.
Grim.

Mitsubishi L200 2.5 TD. Not only the engine was poor, but the entire ride of the vehicle. Poor
I think that it depends on the environment. Loved my 2009 L200 in Barbados, just right for the cane roads and the less than perfect ABC Highway. Sold it after 3 years for $3000 more than I paid for it.

I think that it depends on the environment. Loved my 2009 L200 in Barbados, just right for the cane roads and the less than perfect ABC Highway. Sold it after 3 years for $3000 more than I paid for it.

Had the 1999 to 2006 2.5 TD was awful in my opinion.

A fair few BMW engines of the last 10 years. Any engine where the timing chain is at the rear next to bulkhead (some recent Audis). And the Honda VF 750 motorcycle engine from the mid 80s (chocolate cams & timing chain tensioner problems).

They weren't quite the same engine. They had similarities due to Ricardo being involved in the conception of both. I suspect the Stag V8 has more in common with Triumph's slant four than Saab's eventual development did. The Stag unit being a doubled up version of the Triumph four of 1850cc displacement IIRC, it is staggering that Triumph made such a mess of obtaining 1500cc in each bank when it enlarged it to 3 litres. Theoretically at least, that engine could have been a 3.7 litre unit.

I am (or rather, was) intimately familiar with both engines :)

In the early eighties I helped a friend who had a TR7 with the Triumph engine, replace it with the SAAB engine. The Triumph engine kept giving him grief, and when two exhaust valves burnt he decided he had enough and fitted the SAAB engine instead. It was hard work, the block was the same but the location of ancillaries was different - water pump, alternator, etc - which required fabricating flanges and brackets. But the SAAB engine never missed a bit. He also considered a V8 upgrade, but it was too complicated and too much work, so it didn't happen...

Scrap-yards ... Much of my early life was spent in scrap-yards.
My taxi-driving friend offered to take me into partnership with him running a yard.
Luckily I didn't accept his offer.
Life could have been very different.
Happy days !

I am (or rather, was) intimately familiar with both engines :)

In the early eighties I helped a friend who had a TR7 with the Triumph engine, replace it with the SAAB engine. The Triumph engine kept giving him grief, and when two exhaust valves burnt he decided he had enough and fitted the SAAB engine instead. It was hard work, the block was the same but the location of ancillaries was different - water pump, alternator, etc - which required fabricating flanges and brackets. But the SAAB engine never missed a bit. He also considered a V8 upgrade, but it was too complicated and too much work, so it didn't happen...

I did the V8 conversion on a TR7 in my 20's - it was pretty straight forward IMHO.

Aside from their sojourn in the RO80, was the ****el Engine, ever used in any other context? Or did it just die a natural death?

Scrap-yards ... Much of my early life was spent in scrap-yards.
My taxi-driving friend offered to take me into partnership with him running a yard.
Luckily I didn't accept his offer.
Life could have been very different.
Happy days !

Now that would be a proper man cave, just with a large outdoor bit!

Aside from their sojourn in the RO80, was the ****el Engine, ever used in any other context? Or did it just die a natural death?

Mazda had several successful and reliable rotary engines right up to 2012 but for all it's positive qualities like smoothness and power they never manged to make it competitively economical on fuel and emissions were also a problem which eventually sealed it's fate. There is talk of a rotary engine being used as a range extender in an electric hybrid vehicle. In that role I imagine it's attributes of being small, smooth and quiet would make it a good application.

Suzuki used a rotary engine in one of their motorcycles - the RE5 I think it was.
Also Norton spent a lot of money on one for their motorcycles. I think it went into service with the police for a short while but never made it to the general market.

Edit: what a memory for useless information I have.

What do you guys think is th engine we do the most work on in the MB range? Thats over the last 23 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom