Worst meal I have EVER HAD

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
Recently my job took me to Norway for 3 days. Lovely country and really lovely people (all the ladies are drop dead gorgeous and blonde - but I digress). While there I was wined and dined by the client and had a couple of unusual dishes. One was nice and was Reindeer Stroganoff. Really delicious. Then I was "treated" to THE Scandinavian speciality dish, Lutefisk.
If you EVER go to any of the Scandinavian countries DONT EVER order this.
Its revolting to point of being ill (get my drift?). Its basically a white fish, usually Cod, but prepared to make it totally inedible (look it up).
Has anyone else tried this?
No wonder they wash it down afterwards with Aquavit (similar to Vodka but stronger).

Not tried that, but cow skin floating in greasy warm water was my worst culinary experience in Jakarta, yeurggghhhhhh

Recently my job took me to Norway for 3 days. Lovely country and really lovely people (all the ladies are drop dead gorgeous and blonde - but I digress). While there I was wined and dined by the client and had a couple of unusual dishes. One was nice and was Reindeer Stroganoff. Really delicious. Then I was "treated" to THE Scandinavian speciality dish, Lutefisk.
If you EVER go to any of the Scandinavian countries DONT EVER order this.
Its revolting to point of being ill (get my drift?). Its basically a white fish, usually Cod, but prepared to make it totally inedible (look it up).
Has anyone else tried this?
No wonder they wash it down afterwards with Aquavit (similar to Vodka but
stronger).

You should have asked me first Dave, That is the worst thing going, their fiood in general is very nice

Yuk! :eek:

Hmm.

I'll try most things, but I'm not that keen on fish at the best of times. I've just looked this up on Wiki (see below), and it seems fish dishes have reached a new nadir... thanks for the warning.

Cheers,

Gaz
"Every Advent we entered the purgatory of lutefisk, a repulsive gelatinous fishlike dish that tasted of soap and gave off an odor that would gag a goat. We did this in honor of Norwegian ancestors, much as if survivors of a famine might celebrate their deliverance by feasting on elm bark. I always felt the cold creeps as Advent approached, knowing that this dread delicacy would be put before me and I’d be told, "Just have a little." Eating a little was like vomiting a little, just as bad as a lot."

While visiting Poland last year i was at the house of my friends wife`s parents and sat down to a soup of uncertain ingredients which appeared to contain the remnants of some kind of animals internal organs.
I tried it,i really tried to eat it (had a few spoonfuls of the `juice`,but avoided the `frilly` bits of floating giblets),and decided the embarassment of declining to finish the offering was better than the potential embarassment of vomiting at the dinner table.....

While visiting Poland last year i was at the house of my friends wife`s parents and sat down to a soup of uncertain ingredients which appeared to contain the remnants of some kind of animals internal organs.
I tried it,i really tried to eat it (had a few spoonfuls of the `juice`,but avoided the `frilly` bits of floating giblets),and decided the embarassment of declining to finish the offering was better than the potential embarassment of vomiting at the dinner table.....

That was actually "Flaczki", or "Tripe Soup". The tripe is meticulously cleaned before cooking. It's considered a delicacy, and is actually extremely good. One of my favourite dishes.

Much better than the fried tripe and onions as they eat here in the UK...

-simon

Who on earth eats tripe in the UK? :confused:

Simon - if that's one of your favourite dishes, what's the worst ones? :eek: :eek:

I'm only jesting - each to their own I guess, doesn't sound like my sort of nosh though.

Will

You're right, I wouldn't feed Lutefisk to my dog - even if I had a dog.

The women are absolute babes though :D

You're right, I wouldn't feed Lutefisk to my dog - even if I had a dog.

The women are absolute babes though :D

So would you feed your women Lutefisk or would you feed your women to your dog?

Who on earth eats tripe in the UK? :confused:

Anyone north of Watford actually. It's actually not bad when well prepared, although it needs a good cook to do it properly.

-simon

I remember in the early 60s when working in a local butcher's shop, having to go down in the van to the local slaughter house to collect some cow's stomachs & bring them back to the butchers yard. Give them a wash down, look for holes, sew them up., except for one which we we used to put a hosepipe in & fill the stomach with water. Then turn it inside out all to wash the sh1t off.:eek:

Then into an old boiling pot to cook, then to sell.All in deepest Cornwall, always sold very well. Likewise sweetbreads & "lights" Don't see them much about these days. Likewise Rabbit or Hare (lovely jugged Hare haven't had that for ages):)

Anyone north of Watford actually. It's actually not bad when well prepared, although it needs a good cook to do it properly.

-simon

My apologies Simon, it appears that tripe isn't dead as I thought.

I wouldn't say that 'anyone' eats it. In fact, I reckon hardly anyone does - certainly the majority don't.

Bit like jellied eels in London - don't think that out of the millions of people living here that many ever buy or eat them?

Will

My apologies Simon, it appears that tripe isn't dead as I thought.

I wouldn't say that 'anyone' eats it. In fact, I reckon hardly anyone does - certainly the majority don't.

Bit like jellied eels in London - don't think that out of the millions of people living here that many ever buy or eat them?

Will

Cor Blimey me old china.............I do ! ! ! ! ! They are well luvvly jubbly.

That was actually "Flaczki", or "Tripe Soup". The tripe is meticulously cleaned before cooking. It's considered a delicacy, and is actually extremely good. One of my favourite dishes.

Much better than the fried tripe and onions as they eat here in the UK...

-simon

Yes Simon,i learnt later on that it was in fact,tripe soup...

One of my travelling companions earned great respect from me by tucking in and clearing the lot.
I see you like it,too.:eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom