Worst Top Gear ever tonight

Top Gear

• As good as it always used to be.

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Not as good as it used to be.

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Threads about TG not being as good as it used to be, aren't as good as they used to be.

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • Top What?

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I love Vicky Butler Henderson.

Votes: 27 26.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Wasn't Woolard on Tomorrows World also?

Back when men were real men, women were real women, and early evening TV programmes were real early evening TV programmes.

Our greatest loss as a country was undoubtably when James Burke moved to doing programmes for the US.

There should be a campaign to reinstate that pinnacle of 70s TV 'The Burke Special'.

TG was at its best when the presenters did things that the viewers themselves would like to do (ie. Ferrari vs. train to Vebier, supercars to Millau Viaduct etc.) and combined the intrinsic appeal of the activity with some amusing banter from the hosts.

Unfortunately, the spreadsheets showed that more money was coming in from Stig-shaped bottles of bubble bath and pencil cases which resulted in them making a vaguely car-themed variety show for all the family.

It's a shame because the presenters do genuinely know quite a bit about cars (despite pretending otherwise) but I imagine the paychecks soothe any issues they have with the current direction it's taken.

And (warming to my theme) why does old Top Gear always get mocked for showing the engine bay? I love engine bays and - in fairness - in the days when Top Gear used to show them, my Dad always wanted to see the engine bay because that was where most owners spent their weekends.

Looking in the engine bay prior to purchase used to be quite normal.

These days they homogenise them with these internal plastic covers and even under the covers there may not be much to see with all the piping and wiring.

Ohhhhhhhhh. I'm getting all nostalgic for Maxis, Marinas, and Rover SD1s. Where are my pills?

Back when men were real men, women were real women, and early evening TV programmes were real early evening TV programmes.

Our greatest loss as a country was undoubtably when James Burke moved to doing programmes for the US.

There should be a campaign to reinstate that pinnacle of 70s TV 'The Burke Special'.

Oh, I remember Burke. The U.S.'s gain.

Still have a copy of his fantastic book "Connections". A completely fresh take on the history of invention.

A bit tenuous at times - but nonetheless an interesting way to present things. Thought provoking - especially compared with the simplistic 'then everything changed' and 'it changed everything' cliches of modern programme making.

Just watched it. Not bad I really. Some funny moments - maybe I'm childish too, but the race at the end did make me laugh!

I also enjoy old TG and enjoy watching YouTube TGs from the 80s and 90s a lot! :D

I thought that the show was very funny, especially the question thrown to Daniel Ricciardo.

....and his response! :)

im glad it isn't just me ...it really annoys me when there are some top new cars coming out and all there interested in is pissing about

Top gear

It's getting worse and worse

I watch it as more of a comedy show now days and often makes me laugh but bored looking at super cars and who can do the fastest lap round the track.
Very little of the programme is aimed at the average motorist and I would also like to cast my vote for a new generation 5th Gear.

The problem with Fifth Gear is "ex-F1 driver" Tiff Needell... can barely talk about the cars between commenting on his excellent driving. I have seen lumberjacks saw less than he does at the wheel.

VBH and gone off the boil a bit too... ;)
I couldn't agree more. There's only so many times you can see how daft an angle and how long you can drift £100k of car round a corner before the tyres explode.

And nowadays, when VBH squeals it sounds more like your Mum scared of a mouse than someone keen to help you make a mess of the upholstery.

But it's still way better than TG. Clarkson has a countenance so annoying that you'd happily kick him in the peas until your foot broke and then keep on going.

Why have a pop at William Woollard discussing drag coefficient? Not sure how old you are, but drag coefficient (or, more specifically, the difference between two seemingly similar cars) was a major aspect of car design and marketing at one point and thus would have quite rightly been addressed in a Top Gear report.

You have to consider it in context: manufacturers were just latching onto the importance of drag in terms of fuel consumption. At that time, you could buy a car with a CD of 0.3 or another, apparently similar car, with a CD of 0.8. Huge difference in fuel economy, top speed, etc. No wonder Top Gear covered it.

Audi's entire launch campaign for the Audi 100 was entirely based around its CD. Nothing else was as important about that car (in Audi's eyes).

Important, yes, but the utterly dull delivery makes an already not-very-exciting detail seem far worse.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Important, yes, but the utterly dull delivery makes an already not-very-exciting detail seem far worse.

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

OK, so I just went to YouTube and watched a couple of clips of William Woollard, including - conveniently - a clip in which he mentions the CD of and Opel concept car at the Frankfurt motor show.

Woollard was articulate and engaging. He didn't hesitate or repeat himself. He didn't speak in a monotone or have an annoying accent or any particular vocal tics. He certainly wasn't particularly boring or dull.

What more do you want from a presenter of a serious motoring programme (as opposed to a programme comprising some men messing about)? :dk:

Have you seen the clips on YouTube of Jeremy Clarkson's first appearances on Top Gear? He was nervous, clunky and not particularly engaging. He also dressed terribly, but I do concede that William Woollard was wearing a grey suit and matching grey slip-on shoes in his report from Frankfurt, so I'd call that a no-score draw on the sartorial front.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom