Worth delaying Reg by 2 weeks..???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MercA

Car
Merc
My Merc is expected to be in Feb second week. Is it worth waiting another 2 weeks and get it registered in March 2016 to get '16' plate...?? Is there any danger in keeping vehicle @ dealer for 2 weeks ..? Will they use new car as 'test drive car'..??:devil:

If you're buying it cash, I'd wait.

If leasing though, there's no point; just get it as soon as you can, the 'newer plate' residuals will only help the supplying dealer/broker.

If leasing though, there's no point; just get it as soon as you can, the 'newer plate' residuals will only help the supplying dealer/broker.

yes...

Certainly delay it. I did that very same thing on dealer recommendation.

Whilst you will lose a couple of weeks in the date that the servicing is required, you will win in both street kudos and also in the future trade-in value.

As for 'test-drive' - it should have no more than the PDI mileage on the clock.

Exactly what I'm doing, it'll be in dealer 12th Feb, I'm collecting 1st March.

James.

This, top advice :thumb:

But does their benefit come at the customer's expense?

If you're buying, will the dealer agree to delay? It's probably helping this quarter's figures.

If leasing, it's not your problem, except for the "first day of a new reg" feeling.

Malcolm

With recent used purchase, dealer want us to take it 1 week before end of month. We wanted it to have road fund licence starting 1st of the following month. Compromise was that we paid dealer on last day of the month, they delivered it the next day.

Certainly delay it. I did that very same thing on dealer recommendation.

Whilst you will lose a couple of weeks in the date that the servicing is required, you will win in both street kudos and also in the future trade-in value.

As for 'test-drive' - it should have no more than the PDI mileage on the clock.

Thanks...PDI mileage means..???

If you're buying, will the dealer agree to delay? It's probably helping this quarter's figures.

If leasing, it's not your problem, except for the "first day of a new reg" feeling.

Malcolm

dealer is fine...in fact he suggested it.

With recent used purchase, dealer want us to take it 1 week before end of month. We wanted it to have road fund licence starting 1st of the following month. Compromise was that we paid dealer on last day of the month, they delivered it the next day.

hmmm..haven't said that so far...

But was planning to check car before payments made...

up to 50????
most cars are delivered on transporter, but occasionally they are driven from 1 dealer to another, usually within the same dealer group

Last edited:

Pre Delivery Inspection, relating to the short test drive that every new car is subjected to before it is approved for delivery to the customer.

Delivery Mileage on the other hand is the mileage that the car covered when it was driven to the dealership (i.e. if it was not delivered there by transporter).

up to 50????
most cars are delivered on transporter, but occasionally they are driven from 1 dealer to another, usually within the same dealer group

Agree, if i turned up to collect my new, factory order, car and it had 50 miles on it I'd want to know why. When I've bought brand new before they have all been <20 miles on the clock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom