Worth keeping or cut losses ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jakerook

Bought my 2003 C180 coupe about eight months ago for £1000.00. So far it's had drop links and bushes front and back , lower suspension arms both front sides. It's now needing rear brakes completely overhauled , discs , pads , callipers and handbrake shoes. Also spotted it needs a shocker on the back too !

Paintwork ain't great either , rear bumper will need completely re sprayed. Finally the heater doesn't work !

Other than that it runs great :D

Discs, pads & shoes are all service items no matter what age the car is. As your car is twelve years old consider shocks (you'll really need two) as a service item also.

You've already replaced many of the wearing parts associated with age.

Once they are done then you can enjoy some trouble free motoring on the cheap and then contemplate refurbishing or restoring.

A month or two replacing nothing would be nice !

It sort of goes with the territory, old and cheap car. Out of curiosity what mileage is on it?

Keep!!! As stated, everything that has been changed are wear and tear items that would need to be changed on any car. Once you get on top of it you will have trouble free motoring :thumb:

Mileage is not everything but it is a rough gauge as to what may be required, so I'd say your past and current issues should not be unexpected. But if you are feeling unlucky with the car maybe best to sell it?

Is it worth painting a sub 1000 pound car? My e class has apalling lacquer flake on the rear, and im not going to bother fixing it, on a 3 to 4 grand car.

If you're going to be reasonably happy to keep the car a while , then it's worth doing ; but if you tend to change your cars every couple of years or so , then perhaps not .

Relative to the value of the car , if you can DIY and buy the parts from a motor factor the brakes won't cost much to do ( pretty easy job ) , but if you have to pay a garage to do it , it might not be economic .

guydewdney said:
Is it worth painting a sub 1000 pound car? My e class has apalling lacquer flake on the rear, and im not going to bother fixing it, on a 3 to 4 grand car.

Yeah lacquer flake is bad on this old fella.

Hi,
The big problem with older cars is that whilst a £40,000 when new car can now be bought for £1000 - original replacement parts are roughly the same price today as they were when new.
A new fuel pump on an older common rail diesel car would cost more than the car is worth!
A new alternator on your car would not come cheap nor would a new gearbox or clutch.
Cheers
Steve

Hi,
The big problem with older cars is that whilst a £40,000 when new car can now be bought for £1000 - original replacement parts are roughly the same price today as they were when new.
A new fuel pump on an older common rail diesel car would cost more than the car is worth!
A new alternator on your car would not come cheap nor would a new gearbox or clutch.
Cheers
Steve

Indeed ! That's why it is sometimes a good idea to compare prices at motor factors such as ECP or GSF , not forgetting to ask at the dealer , and ask for discount as they will often compete .

Then for some items the breakers yard can be a good option ( most of the scrappies round here are full of 202/203/210 cars and a smattering of others .

Hi,

And it still costs the same to keep on the road as a £40,000 car, even though it only cost £1000.

This is why there are so many poor condition used cars around, as some people only do the bare minimum to pass an MOT, and a car with an MOT can still have a lot wrong with it.

They are not that expensive to run. Lots of aftermarket parts, lots of old cars being broken for parts too vs new models only dealership, will not find aftermarket parts
It is just a matter of finding your way around
For example my cl500 had a problem with valve block for abc suspension, new part in MB 1400£ we fixed it for 5£ changing seals on it (thanks to nice diy write up on US forum)
That is why we have forums like this to help each other
On the other hand there are bargains out there thanks to "I cannot be bothered attitude" and mechanics who I call "part replacers" quoting ridiculous prices for repairs

Top chat guys thanks. It's being kept !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom