Worth rescuing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Love that shape always reminds me of when I was a kid first falling in love with my uncles white one he had, where my love of mercs began.

Wasn't that the C36?

Thought the C36 was supplied as a rolling bodyshell which AMG then modified, and the C43 was totally built at Affalterbach but I'm happy to be proved wrong...

Love that shape always reminds me of when I was a kid first falling in love with my uncles white one he had, where my love of mercs began.

Mine began when I had a 600 pullman Dinky toy when I was little, which I much preferred to my toy Silver Shadow. But the first new Merc I could picture myself driving was the W210; admittedly history hasn't been kind to the W210 but it's lines really grabbed my attention.

Mine began when I had a 600 pullman Dinky toy when I was little, which I much preferred to my toy Silver Shadow. But the first new Merc I could picture myself driving was the W210; admittedly history hasn't been kind to the W210 but it's lines really grabbed my attention.

Yeah when I was about 12-14 years old the 210 was only about 5-6 years old I think, I remember seeing a saloon one around and thinking thats bad ass almost reminded me of the new style old gangster mercs in the Jean-Claude Van Damme films lol, think thats why I got the 211, it reminds me of the 210 with the headlights ect that I found myself falling for when I was younger but yeah the 210 hasn't aged that well, not like the late 90's c class that things awesome looking, but saying that I was born in 89 so most 90's cars and motorbikes have a soft spot for me of that era.

Thought the C36 was supplied as a rolling bodyshell which AMG then modified, and the C43 was totally built at Affalterbach but I'm happy to be proved wrong...

I'm not sure what you mean as AMG has never "totally built" anything.

AMGs fall into pre and post merger and the C/E36 was the first post merger car as far as I'm aware.

I'm not sure what you mean as AMG has never "totally built" anything.

AMGs fall into pre and post merger and the C/E36 was the first post merger car as far as I'm aware.

I did read somewhere that AMG assembled the C43 from scratch using a bare shell, whereas the C36 was re-engineered from a C280.

The C36 may have been jointly developed by MB / AMG but the C36 must have been supplied at least partially built since AMG was still legally a separate company 'til 1999, therefore needing some sort of financial transaction between the two companies for each component supplied.

The C43 started production after the MB takeover, so presumably that'd have made it easier to ship bare shells / components to AMG rather than having to jump through financial hoops for every last little screw.

Maybe a more pleasing description would be the C43 was the first car produced by Mercedes-AMG GmbH rather than AMG Motorenbau und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH, which would therefore make the C36 more of a 'purists' car, like MGs produced before the 1935 merger with Morris.

One thing I do know for definite - there was no C36 estate :)

Last edited:

The C36/E36 is the last "proper" AMG, the straight six engine was bored out to 3.6 by AMG.

The C43 engine is essentially a slightly tuned version of the 430 (standard 280bhp, C43 310bhp) in the W208 CLK - W210 E, in fact it's possibly the least AMG car of the last 25 years.

Purist (see above) :D

I owned a C36 and three C43's and, hand on heart, I miss the C36 the most and will definitely own one again in the future and get my old friend on here Simon to fit me a dogleg manual gearbox.

I owned a C36 and three C43's and, hand on heart, I miss the C36 the most and will definitely own one again in the future and get my old friend on here Simon to fit me a dogleg manual gearbox.

How do you miss the c36 but owned 3 c43's? Surely your doing something wrong here lol.

That will be rotten to the core, god knowns the horrors under the sideskirts.

I just bought this little beauty. Along the same lines as these cars being an older AMG c class.

Attachments

• image-3504499242.jpg
    image-3504499242.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 48
i just bought this little beauty. Along the same lines as these cars being an older amg c class.

c32?

Heh, this thread may have resulted in a rare car facing the crusher being saved, but not the one I expected! I spotted a V6 6 speed Alfa Spider on copart (cat c) and posted about it on an Alfa newsgroup, and it looks like somebody from the group has bought it :thumb:

So doesn't look like I'll have managed to save the C43 at the top of this thread (if the seller really is off to Spain I can't see him spending ridiculous amounts of money having it restored, only to make a significant loss when selling it on) but I might well have saved another worthy rarity...

My work is done

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom