Worth rescuing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mj2k

Car
2000 Subaru Legacy GT (remapped to 300bhp)
mercedes c43 amg estate

Had a quick chat with the vendor via Ebay, sounds genuine enough...

Not sure what sort of reserve he's put on it and it's definitely going to need some work, but that's quite a rarity.

I so wish I had the time, space and money for this one.

Waste money. It should be scrapped. The rust you can see will be the tip of the iceberg.

Not too sure about the 'scrapped' bit - there weren't many C43 estates to begin with, let alone now rust's eaten away at the remaining ones. But yeah, somebody'd need to spend a lot of time with a welder and spraygun on it.

That's quite a challenge and it looks like the reserve is around £5,000.

Yeah, that's going to be the real sticking point to anyone who bids on it - not sure if he meant that really was the reserve, or if he was just trying to discourage the 'how much do you want for it mate? I'll give you £500' questions you always get.

If the reserve is 5 grand it's def on the high side even if it is currently MOT'd - there's a seemingly decent one on Pistonheads for £7500, though interestingly there aren't any pictures of it's exterior...

All academic to me though, no matter how interesting the project is, it'd be very hard for me to justify picking up another small silver high performance estate to my other half when I can't shift my Alfa GTA.

Heading for 200k miles too, so a proper restore would likely involve some mechanical work as well due to wear & tear.

mj2k said:
there's a seemingly decent one on Pistonheads for £7500, though interestingly there aren't any pictures of it's exterior...

Exterior pics on eBay of that c43.

this is a MY2000 tiptronic car.
it seems to have been very neglected over the years

You have to go and see these cars,it is a big risk getting anywhere near 5 grand for it,you have visible rust on a fair bit of it plus all the rust underneath,it will not start,it does not have 4 matching wheels and so needs recovering another expense unless you live round the corner,and the car has done 200,000 and has been on LPG with the problems that can cause plus no MOT ok that is not so important as by the time you get this car ready it will be off the road for at least 18 months,you are a brave guy to take this on.

You would have to be bat **** crazy to pay £5000 for this. It's a high mileage, badly kept turd.

Poor thing!

Still, I hadn't noticed the mileage so you could easily spend £7-10k bringing it up to scratch if you didn't do the work yourself. But if you did it yourself, besides spraying / welding skills and a decent silver W202 estate donor, you'd potentially need a W210 E430 donor too for the worn oily bits, so personally I wouldn't go much over £2.5k despite it's rarity (even if I was in the market).

Give it a couple of years though, and I reckon 5k will seem a bargain!

...And it looks like someone is enthusiastic enough about it to bid it to over 2k. Just hope it does go to someone who knows what they're taking on and not some numpty who sees the £12k one, snipes at the last minute and thinks they'll be able to make some easy money out of it.

...And it looks like someone is enthusiastic enough about it to bid it to over 2k. Just hope it does go to someone who knows what they're taking on and not some numpty who sees the £12k one, snipes at the last minute and thinks they'll be able to make some easy money out of it.

I'm afraid I'd rather it went to a numpty who will get his fingers burned.

What a total rotter.
I know 202s ... I've never seen a door corner go like that.
Tip of the rust-berg.

What a total rotter.
I know 202s ... I've never seen a door corner go like that.
Tip of the rust-berg.

Heh, highly likely :)

Still, it's one of those projects which you could throw yourself into knowing you're rescuing a rare bit of MB-AMG heritage (first AMG-built car, first AMG use of the M113, presumably first MB-AMG estate); perhaps not as important as the W124 Hammer or W109 Red Pig, but still their first mass-produced model.

But yeah, given I don't have a bottomless wallet, enough space for the donors, infinite time or a significant other with infinite patience, def not one for me, even if it does appeal to my 'rescue a stray' mentality :D

... first AMG-built car ... presumably first MB-AMG estate)

Wasn't that the C36?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom