Wot! Still no Mercedes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I honestly hadn't anticipated this bit, but due the sharp rise in used and nearly new car prices, my A8 could be sold for just £240 less than I paid for it using the average of a number of used car valuations. But it is certainly staying with me.
So for the last 15 months the car has been costing me a whole £15 per month in depreciation.
I can live with driving the current best limo on the market at that rate:cool:
It certainly makes some of those PCP and similar deals look just a little steep......I'll even put up with the hard to clean wheels.

Service time for the A8 this morning. Decided to book in for 8am and wait for the car. A nice girl served me tea and updates on service progress.
I was on my way home after an engine/transmission software update and all physical service by 10:30. The car will be 2 years old at Christmas.
The cost for this bi-annual event just £365. That's just 50p a week. Most of my Mercedes servicing has averaged £1.50 a week.
No issues to report from either side.
The Audi service experience is certainly not making me regret my purchase.:)

I just discovered this thread and it's fabulous. What a way to travel...
It is not as quick as a VFR1200, because it does, unfortunately recognise traffic.
Doesn't take as long to dress up before and after a journey and you can take more people and stuff in comfort:thumb:

IMG_1324.JPG
The A8 surprised me again today with some really silly figures on the dash!
Almost 200 miles from home returning from Wales the mpg figure is indicative of what the mild hybrid system is capable of.
Yes, it really is a 4WD 2 tonne limo....
On the stereo is John Mayer, 'It shouldn't matter but it does' from the excellent Sob Rock album🙃

Was that 81.9mpg over 200 miles or 7.7 miles and 9 minutes?

My c220 does 240 mpg in very selective parts of my journey, sadly not the whole thing.

Vera, our 1997 Land Rover Defender has now been sold, and been replaced with something that is capable of carrying the dogs without actually deafening us on a longer journey. The BMW X3 is not quite as refined as the A8, but gets a lot closer to being a car of this century than Vera.
I did look at a GLC having had ML's and GLE's in the past, but they just didn't fit into the budget I was working with. The X3 has become my wife's daily driver whilst the the MX-5 and the bike are still fun vehicles, and the Audi the long distance limo.
Vera has been fun and cost effective, selling (in 7 minutes!) on eBay for the same price I paid 8 years ago. My wife will be sad to see it go, but I'll be quite happy not to be fixing something every other week....
I can only apologise for still not being a current Mercedes owner, but I have had a total of 14 previous ones.

Rosie.JPG

I have finally seen a car measured to have a quieter interior noise level than my A8 which runs 60.5 db at 70mph. Perhaps not too big a surprise to find it is another Audi, but this time the fully electric Q4 e-tron at a whole 1db lower as tested in this months What Car.
The fact that the range is just a quarter of what the 'wood burner' A8 will achieve on one 'fuelling' and the total costs over the first 3 years of ownership would be in excess of £30k certainly won't have me rushing to my Audi dealer just yet for an extra 1 db of peace and quiet:eek:
The fact that the winter range in EV's tends to take 25% drop is also unwelcome.
The diesel A8 dropped to a 'dismal' 49mpg over this winter, but mainly due to shorter journeys, but is now back to 55mpg on a 300mile round trip last week.
I'm still very happy with the mild hybrid technology.:cool:

I've been a Porsche owner for almost a month now, but it was slightly amusing to see my 'old' Audi A8 come on sale again for just £1k less than I paid for it almost 2.5 years (and 15k miles) ago.

Big luxury salons traditionally take a huge depreciation hit, but if you shop carefully and play the market correctly, then it does appear you can enjoy a really great car for very little outlay. I know I did:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom