Would anyone buy a e63 private sale?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-durham

Car
2005 CLS55 AMG
Hello guys,
Not posted in a while, currently have the cls55 and a 2018 mustang v8, but fancy changing the mustang for some kind of amg. Ive got a real soft spot for a 2015 ish e63 (s maybe), but seems the dealer prices are a bit inflated and carry a hefty margin. I tend onto to keep a car 1 to 2 years so depreciation is a big factor for me.

so the question is, would anyone consider purchasing one of these private sale, given their complexity and without the backup of a main dealer warranty?

The two year main dealer warranty is probably factored into the windscreen ticket if you consider that to buy that warranty would cost £5k+!
An MB warranty for an E63 is £2600 a year:crazy: so may be worth considering if you want some kind of warranty if buying privately.

I bought mine from an independant dealer with no warranty and decided to put by a decent amount should the worst happen. I'd consider a privately owned one, but the service history would have to be spot on and maybe an inspection by an indy beforehand.
A forum owned car would give me a little more reassurance it hasn't been abused.

I guess it depends on the model, but from when I’ve been looking at certain cars many that I saw advertised at main dealers were no more expensive than a lot of private sale examples or from less reassuring trade outlets.

In other words, I don’t think MB approved used cars would typically be £5k more expensive, and if you find something you like at a decent price then you have a pretty decent benefit there. Of course you can be lucky and not need the warranty but you can bet you’ll be pleased to have it if it’s needed.

I wouldn’t rule out a private purchase but for me they need to be priced accordingly - seems like many sellers think they can expect retail money for their car with zero comeback/no warranty for the prospective purchaser, which obviously doesn’t make sense!

I bought my C63 with the two year AMG warranty simply because i wanted the benefit of the warranty should it be needed.

Looking at the price saving versus a private sale wasn't enough to make me not go for the dealer car.

Personally i would only consider private sale on members forums, its easy to see the history of the vehicle especially if the owner posts alot.

Plenty of cars which are passed on here which are in great condition.

As depreciation is a big factor, and you are only keeping it for the short term. You should not buy the AMG... newer models and age will kill your re-sale value quickly.

As depreciation is a big factor, and you are only keeping it for the short term. You should not buy the AMG... newer models and age will kill your re-sale value quickly.
I agree, in fact don't buy any car if your worried about depreciation, what's the point, if you really want a particular car, then get it, enjoy it, keep it nice, maintained etc, then when your ready, sell it, and what you get for it, well that's what you get, simple really, I see you run two V8's so presuming money's not to tight. :) As for buying private yeah, why not, I've had several privately owned cars, had no trouble at all, maybe I've been lucky? If it's got a FULL service history and is a minter, then why not. 👍

I bought my last E63 from a non MB car dealer, but I did get a years warranty with it, and I used it once during that time

As depreciation is a big factor, and you are only keeping it for the short term. You should not buy the AMG...
There's truth in those words, but a five year old E63 has already taken a massive hit, so it's all relative: any £25k - £30k car is going to cost £££'s in depreciation, but a five year old E63 is much more fun than a brand new euro-box for the same money.

So, back to the "would you buy one privately?" question.

I think this is defined by attitude to risk. I've run two W212 E63's as daily drivers over more that 70k miles in total and in my experience they are well screwed together and reliable. That said, the potential for ruinous expense (just ask @E55BOF) exists and it would be foolish to ignore that - even if the risk is very low.

Regarding main dealer prices, as others have said the MB two-year warranty that you get on used AMG cars isn't cheap but does give peace of mind, so has to be factored in to the whole deal. If you're happy to carry the risk yourself then all the normal buying rules apply: check the car over thoroughly, make sure everything works properly, satisfy your self that it has a solid maintenance history and if the price is right buy it.

Not sure I agree - I bought an E63 and only kept it for a year, sold it back to a trader for cash a year later and it lost only £750 in that time. It was due a major service (spark plugs/brake fluid etc) and MOT so I guess you could argue the actual cost to me in depreciation was pretty much nil as the service bill would probably have been more.

Almost all cars depreciate, older AMGs don’t tend to be too bad in my experience. But I doubt the OP is looking to buy an E63 for economic reasons alone? :thumb:

Your Point Is ??

eyes wide open re forum vehicle or not, but you’d like to think buying a known car yeals a better result. I think Ive said that in a polite way lol
Personally all the cars I own I make sure there fault free and or worts disclosed to any buyer. I can’t stand the agro later if not.

@Will

Well done on that one, a bit of Lady Luck on your side. It will also depend on when the next reg. plate is out and when the next model is out.

Of course most cars depreciate, my point was that a five year old AMG can actually be a surprisingly good buy :thumb:

I would consider a private one if the price was at a significant-enough saving over a main or trusted inde dealer example.

However, it's always caveat emptor no matter who you are buying from!

I'd never assume all individuals on a forum are scrupulous as in the main, this forum is anonymous.

That said, I would feel less risk buying a from a fellow forum member (from those who participate more) and I've even found cars from forum members which have been bought by people who have asked me to help them!

There can be quite a saving although of course there won't always be a flurry of what you are looking for when you are looking.

Buy a car that you require, and have the urge to own. Private or not. Owning such a high performance car for such a short period of time should not lose a massive amount come for sale time.

It's not ideal circumstances to buy such a car and sell on in such short period time in the first place so depreciation is a major factor. You might full in love with the car in question and own it much longer than you first estimated.

Many privately owned cars are tuned and modded so wouldn't that also affect a mb warranty, over a standard mb vehicle for sale. Also the cost of these mods would be increased on the privately owned cars I would have thought also.

thanks for all the comments and feedback guy, much appreciated. I guess its also a question of how much you consider acceptable to run one of these, before the mustang, i had a 640d gran coupe, this cost £7k in dep in one year. The mustang might probably be a bit less, i guess im just enjoying the relatively low dep of the cls55 :)

yes if the condition service history and most important the price was right. Only reason to buy privately is to save (a lot of ) money. depending on your level of knowledge get it checked by an expert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom