Would I get £11950 for my E320cdi estate??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gIzzE

MB Enthusiast
Car
65 plate BMW F11 Touring (165k miles) + Porsche 911 Carrera 4 (140k miles) Doing my bit to be green.
Was thinking that I either need to either sell my E320cdi now as it is at 91k miles or keep it for another 4 years and do 200k in it.

I bought it last May with 59k miles on it for £18k, I have since fitted the latest Comand NTG2.5 to it and managed to to 30k miles in it.
I have loved every minute and still love it now, it feels as good as the brand new 5 series we just bought and no real need to change it other than it is approaching the dreaded 100k mark that the UK seems so scared of.

It is Indium Grey with Pebble Grey leather, and is an avantgarde on a facelift 56 plate.

I called about a nice looking C350cdi sport estate at £31k, and asked what they would give for mine, was offered £11800 from Mercedes Norwich last month against an E350cdi estate. They called back an explained because they were Mercedes direct they would have to auction it as they wouldn't sell it with 90k on it and because of this £10k was their best price even though Glasses books it at £11700.
I thought that would be it, however he really threw a spanner in the works and said that because they had far too much stock due to last months trade ins and all the new demo cars with dealers he would do a deal on the C350cdi and asked how much discount I would want to do a deal.
I said I would want £5000 off at which he laughed, pretty hard. he said he was thinking more like £1000, maybe £1500, but not £5000.
I told him to consider it.
Got a call tonight saying they could take £4000 off if I gave them a deposit tomorrow and collected the car before the end of April.
Bugger!!

So the Question is, how well are E Class estates selling privately??

Do you think an E320cdi avantgarde estate in Indium Grey with nothing wanting for it would get £11950 privately??

Just had new tyres on rear, fronts have 5.5mm, new discs and pads front and rear, air filter, cabin filter and fuel filter being done next week and will be serviced in 500 miles along with ATM fluid change at Mercedes.

And also, do you think I would regret going to a C350cdi after the E320cdi??

Sorry for so many questions, need to make a decision tonight.

The C is noticeably smaller than the E - much more of a "lifestyle" estate car than the E, which is a load lugger par excellence. If you need the E's load-space then I'd suggest that you'd regret a move to the C, however... The C feels much more nimble than a W211 and you will probably also get better fuel economy, but... Unless the C has the Dynamic Handling Package which will allow you to select a softer ride you may find the sport suspension somewhat firm by comparison to the E Avantgarde.

Finally, I'd say that the spec needs to be good on the C for it to be a £27k used car. The facelift is now available which will not help residuals on the pre-facelift cars.

Not an easy decision. Sorry if haven't helped :(

I agree the C class is small.... so if its space you need.... you Will miss it.

I cannot see it being better mpg not by anything worth worrying about.

If you think its worth 15K to swap then all good, to some a C class may seem as a down grade from the E purely as its smaller.

I like the sport C class estates and funny enough they had a few for sale at my local Chester dealers all on low miles the other week and all sold...Maybe they are getting rid of stock?

Look on piston heads for prices for yours, depends if you need to have sold it before buying the new one?

Whats the full spec? does it have a sunroof or 7 seats?

Just to throw a spanner in the works, what about an S212 at that sort of money?

I think you should get £11 - 12k pretty easily for your car privately - private sellers are asking more than that for e220s.

Quick search shows the price to be about right but given your a private seller it may have to wait for the right buyer as trade cars similar price..

is it the newer wedge shape front? 7 speed auto

As above how about the S212?

Mercedes-Benz of Liverpool : MERCEDES-BENZ E CLASS ESTATE E250 CGI BlueEFFICIENCY Sport 5dr Tip Auto (2010/60)

Only a quick look but I wouldn't rush if your not sure. Main thing is size, have you sat in it and drove it?

the 250 is almost the same performance as the old 320 and if you chip it......

I think the problem is I feel I should change as this is an older model and now nearly at 100k miles, but I guess I still love the E320cdi and that is what is making this a hard choice.

Normally it would be a no brainer as I would be bored by now, but I love it more than ever.

Looking round the C350cdi is better specced than most out there and is around £3000 cheaper than the next one as well. It is only 10 months old with 6k miles on it and was £41k list from what I can work out, so aorund 37% off list.

To me the E25o makes no sense, I do alot of long journeys sitting at 80mph and the E350cdi returns around 2mpg more at that speed.
Plus an E350cdi can be had for the same sort of money, have been a couple of avantgardes on 10 plates for £31k, so if I went with another E I would do that I think.

I think I know deep down that I want to keep this car, just that when I go over the dreaded 100k I will be keeping it for a while.

£4k more for the E350cdi estate would be what I would choose having had the E class.

Currently my E320cdi estate is on 128K miles :) collected from the factory new by my dad.

Both our cars losing very little now...

If you love it more than ever...
Keep it!
U won't regret it!
I wouldn't be happy with a c class :)

If it's running well and you still like it, keep it, the depreciation curve slows the longer you keep it, irrespective of mileage.

Iirc. You once said you would never buy a diesel... ;)

If you want to keep it, keep it.

Try not to think so much of the cars value to someone else, but what it is worth to you as a car.

Repeatedly you have said you love this car, its fit for purpose, you like driving it and owning it for what it is.

The C350cdi is belting car, brilliant as an estate too if you can forgo the room but unless you want a new car how can it be £20k better than the car you have.

Even if your current E320cdi is worth £0 at 200k miles, its still cheaper to stay in it now, and run it till it dies, and buy a C350cdi later down the line.

That is of course, if you want to keep the E320cdi, if you don't then you have a very good deal on a car you want to buy.

Personally my view is I don't know how well the 7g box holds up with big miles, as well as the V6 engine. We have a few high miler v6 cdis and they seem fine, so it should do you well for a while yet.

Thanks all. My mind is made up, as nice as the C350cdi looked I think I would regret it once the honeymoon period was over.

I said I would never take a diesel over the petrol if money is not involved and that is still the case, I used to get around 25mpg round town in my E320 and 33mpg on a run, and I get 28mpg in the cdi and 37mpg on a run, so don't think the cost benefits are as great as many think they are when it comes to economy, but I would only buy the petrol if older and taken the big hit.
And it is still no where near as refined, but I do like them and it suits the big auto Merc.

I have had plenty of diesels in the past though, always have at least one and think they do a job and do it well, I think my point was they have pushed petrols away with an unjust fear from the UK public and I really can't see why.

Last edited:
For what it's worth I think your making the right choice. Yes the C350 cdi would be a lovely car, I'm just not sure when like you say the honeymoon period is over you will be happy?

You should feel 'excited' and 'wow must have that' to want to move from what you have to the c class..... I'm I'm not sensing that. It's just a good deal on a newer car as your concerned 90k in yours will worry people.

I would think there are a lot more people willing to spend 11k than 27k on a second hand car... :)

Private sales are pretty flat, people are being very cautious with the cash. At the end of the day it will be your choice. Work out the numbers and see what it's going to cost you, then decide. If you choose the privat route be prepared to wait and by then the other cars you are interested in will have gone.

Not sure why the number 100,000 matters? its not a Ford Cortina, the E class should go for two times that, and more without many issues.

if its running fine and you are happy, keep it. its just a few numbers on the dash.

Not sure why the number 100,000 matters? its not a Ford Cortina, the E class should go for two times that, and more without many issues.

if its running fine and you are happy, keep it. its just a few numbers on the dash.

I agree, the 100k thing is crazy. If it had 98k and was running like a dream, would it self-destruct as the clock ticked over the 100k mark....I think not?

Just keep it.....in my opinion the 211 is a nicer looking car than the new C or E class. I know that I am not alone in thinking this either. :thumb:

I'm personally not worried about the 100k mark, but it seems that it will loose a big chunk of money overnight when it hits that magical 100k miles, probably get £12k for it now and in another 6 months with maybe 105,000 miles it may only be £9k, so I guess I am thinking "Hmm, still love it now, but what if I do suddenly get bored in 6 months, it will be too late to change then!!" :D

However, there will be E350cdi estates under £30k then so I guess it is not really an issue. I think it was the fact they came back and said they would take £4k off it that appealed, I see they have now reduced the sticker price to £29,000 anyway, but £26,900 is a good price for a year old car.

I've not read the whole thread but be careful if the W212 you may be contemplating is a basic spec.

After the honeymoon you'll be missing some of those W211 AG features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom