Would like to meet..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
Who would you like to meet, spend the day with and why?

Obviously, many people will spring to mind..

Racehorse trainer Henry Cecil, David Gilmour and David Attenborough would be high on my list.

But if I had the chance to spend the day with anyone, it would be BBC World Affairs Editor, John Simpson.

Briefly.

An immensley charismatic gentleman who has led the most interesting of lives which has involved interviewing world leaders, reporting from many warzones, being punched in the stomach by Harold Wilson and (after trying hallucinogenic drugs in a jungle) being cuddled by a six-foot goldfish that was wearing dark glasses and a straw hat.

John Simpson must have an abundance of stories that would keep me entertained for many an hour. His books make for good reading too. Wikipedia LINK.

Your candidate can be from past or present. So, who would you like to meet?

Last edited:
For me it would have to be David Bowie. His creativity has inspired me for many years.

Both my older brothers were obsessed with him during the 70's, and I can barely remember a day going by without the music of David Bowie echoing throughout my parents house.

I remember him saying once in an interview that he can't remember writing & recording his album "Low" !!

I imagine he's got some very interesting stories to tell.....the ones he can remember anyway!

Last edited:
Winston Churchill and Adolf Hitler, both great leaders of men, but with differing agendas.

My Grandfather, Ernest Arnold Ridgeway.

He was badly injured whilst fighting in the 8th Army. He was blown out of an open topped APV that struck a land mine, sand a shards of metal and mine peppered his whole body, yet in true brit style, returned to active duty when recovered.

My Mother tells stories of when she was a child and being able to write her name in the sand left at the bottom of the tin bath as it worked its way out of his body many years later.

I know he got busted from Sergeant to Private for punching out an Officer who wanted him to lead a white donkey carrying ammunition up a hill in front of the enemy in the dark of night!

After the war he ran a greengrocers in Forestgate's Upton Road E7. Everyone who knew him tells me what a wonderful character he was and many hundreds attend his funeral.

Sadly he died when I was a child and too young to ever recall him, I would love the opportunity to sit and talk about his life.

My Grandfather, Ernest Arnold Ridgeway.

He was badly injured whilst fighting in the 8th Army. He was blown out of an open topped APV that struck a land mine, sand a shards of metal and mine peppered his whole body, yet in true brit style, returned to active duty when recovered.

My Mother tells stories of when she was a child and being able to write her name in the sand left at the bottom of the tin bath as it worked its way out of his body many years later.

I know he got busted from Sergeant to Private for punching out an Officer who wanted him to lead a white donkey carrying ammunition up a hill in front of the enemy in the dark of night!

After the war he ran a greengrocers in Forestgate's Upton Road E7. Everyone who knew him tells me what a wonderful character he was and many hundreds attend his funeral.

Sadly he died when I was a child and too young to ever recall him, I would love the opportunity to sit and talk about his life.

What a great post that is, JBR. Thank you. :thumb:

Bruce Lee.

After my Dad, he was my hero when I was growing up.

It shouldn't be underestimated his influence on breaking down stereotypes...

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank Sinatra The man the voice imagine him in todays world along side Dean Martin .No one comes near him

Frank Sinatra The man the voice imagine him in todays world along side Dean Martin .No one comes near him

Frank Sinatra.

Whilst on holiday in America I fell in love with a beautiful young woman called Sophie. I needed to impress her to have any chance of spending the night with her.

I knew Frank Sinatra was playing at our hotel that evening and managed to have a word with him at the stage door during afternoon rehearsals.

“Frank, do you know I have all of your records and I’ve been to over a hundred of your concerts?” The great man was impressed, so I asked him if he could do me a huge favour during that nights performance by coming over to my table where I’d be sat wining and dining the very beautiful Sophie. He agreed to this and I thanked him very much.

Halfway through the performance after singing on top form, Frank left the stage with his microphone and from a distance shouted “Hey, Paul!” and made his way over to our table.
Leaning over myself and Sophie Frank said “How’s it going my good friend?”

To which I replied....

"Bugger off Frank, can’t you see I’m busy? I promise I'll call you next week".

Tony Blair , ask him to explain his real motives for military actions , and how much of the money he now has , will be donated to "Help for Heroes".

I did once very briefly meet Rudi Uhlenhaut , but would have loved to have spent time to get acquainted .

The other person who comes to mind is L J K Setright .

I've been lucky enough to have met (and played0 with most of my heros but those missing from the list would include Robert Johnson, Isambard Kingdom Brunel and Django Reinhardt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom