Would love MB owners thoughts on whether the AMG a180/a200 is a semi sensible purchase in my situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ammb89

Car
A180/a200
Hi all

Hopefully a potential long term MBO member.

In the market for a new car.

2 adults + 2 kids (3.5yr + new born).

Originally had a budget of 15k but decided to purchase 1 car together with grand parent instead of 2 separate putting budget to ~25-27k.

80% of the journeys will be 2mile each way to school runs , 10% 5mile each way journey to big box stores and remainder being the occasional trip from SE London to Brighton / coast during summer. Ie we won't be lugging loooads of luggage at any point and if it gets to it we could always add a roof rack presumably

Looking for automatic & petrol.

Would we be crazy to get a 2019/2020 low milage <20m a180 / a200 AMG line exec / prem car? Depending on car I see them from 25-27k online and fit all the criteria.

Been doing loads of research and can't help but feel that the smart choice would be some Kia niro or ford puma or vauxhall grandland but I feel like those cars would be so boring to own and not ones that we'd love or want to keep long term.

My thinking is that an amg a180/200 would keep value better long term and being newer would break down less. Plus once we have a 3rd kid (in 4-5yrs) we'd need to get a new 7 seat car either way...this way we could keep the MB as a second car, add some Mods / tuning from a hobbyist perspective to breath some life / love into it.

I'm sort of looking at it same way as I did my laptop purchase - bought a completely unnecessary 18.4" Alienware 10-11 years ago but it's still serving me brilliantly, I recently modded and upgraded it and don't see it needing replacing any time soon.

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

I’d look at an estate - much more flexible in my opinion

The W177 A-Class is a pleasant car to drive and from an ownership experience
perspective - although some examples are plagued by interior trim rattles so take a test drive on some uneven roads before buying.

The luggage area is reasonably sized, though not massive, but if you’re looking for a car with lots of interior cubby holes and storage for kiddy clutter, then you should look elsewhere.

Used prices are stupidly inflated for most cars at the moment, and the A-Class is no exception. Unless you’re in a hurry to purchase for other reasons I’d be tempted to wait until at least Q3 of 2022 in the expectation that prices will fall back to more usual levels otherwise you'll be sitting on a big depreciation hit whatever you buy.

I HAVE A SOFT SPOT FOR THE LATEST MASDA 3 Mazda 3 Review (2022) | Parkers

BEST TO TEST DRIVE EM ALL- SOME WILL TICK THE BOXES OTHERS WONT

ps if buying new check delivery lead time after ordering---best from stock--if they have any?

Last edited:
The W177 A-Class is a pleasant car to drive and from an ownership experience
perspective - although some examples are plagued by interior trim rattles so take a test drive on some uneven roads before buying.

The luggage area is reasonably sized, though not massive, but if you’re looking for a car with lots of interior cubby holes and storage for kiddy clutter, then you should look elsewhere.

Used prices are stupidly inflated for most cars at the moment, and the A-Class is no exception. Unless you’re in a hurry to purchase for other reasons I’d be tempted to wait until at least Q3 of 2022 in the expectation that prices will fall back to more usual levels otherwise you'll be sitting on a big depreciation hit whatever you buy.
No immediate pressure / reason other than wife being mad that I've delayed it so long. 🤣
This 2nd hand inflation is presumably due to chip shortage and supply chain issues impacting new car market? Why the expectation that it will improve by Q3?
What about buying direct new one? Saw a very nice brand new RAV4 excel for 33k...the Toyota warranty is tempting!

we are on our 3rd Rav , albeit an old 3 door auto model, they are bomb proof and actually I don’t mind driving it even after my SLK 55 😂, doubt I would risk spending your budget and a nearly new A class but at the end of the day it’s only money 🙄

No immediate pressure / reason other than wife being mad that I've delayed it so long. 🤣
This 2nd hand inflation is presumably due to chip shortage and supply chain issues impacting new car market? Why the expectation that it will improve by Q3?
What about buying direct new one? Saw a very nice brand new RAV4 excel for 33k...the Toyota warranty is tempting!

This is a good time to sell a second-hand car, not do much to buy one, as you pointed-out. But the obvious catch-22 is that there's a long wait for (most) new cars, which is precisely why second-hand cars have gone up in price.

Conclusion: Go for a new car from stock - if you can find one...

In other words, I would start with checking what new cars are available from stock within your price range, then take it from there. I.e. instead of choosing the model first. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
80% of the journeys will be 2mile each way to school runs , 10% 5mile each way journey to big box stores and remainder being the occasional trip from SE London to Brighton / coast during summer. Ie we won't be lugging loooads of luggage at any point and if it gets to it we could always add a roof rack presumably

Looking for automatic & petrol.

That's classic for an EV... and no need to worry about carbon build-up on the direct-injection engine.

..the Toyota warranty is tempting!

I had a Kia that came with 7 years warranty, and I now have a Hyundai that came with 5 years warranty.

I think that Western car manufacturers offering only 3 years warranty really need to up their game.

EDIT: in the US, Kia offered 10 years 100,000 miles warranty on new cars - very impressive.

Answered in part by @markjay’s post above, but in addition many dealers are now over stocked with late(ish) used metal that people are increasingly unwilling to buy at the inflated prices.

I was talking to one of the Business Managers from a large motor group before Christmas and they said that they are no longer buying in used cars for cash (that includes auction vehicles) and will only consider buying in a used car against a sale from existing stock or a firm new car order.

In short, the bubble will burst - possibly sooner than the supply of new cars returns to normal - and my guess is that is likely to happen in the second half of 2022.

Answered in part by @markjay’s post above, but in addition many dealers are now over stocked with late(ish) used metal that people are increasingly unwilling to buy at the inflated prices.

I was talking to one of the Business Managers from a large motor group before Christmas and they said that they are no longer buying in used cars for cash (that includes auction vehicles) and will only consider buying in a used car against a sale from existing stock or a firm new car order.

In short, the bubble will burst - possibly sooner than the supply of new cars returns to normal - and my guess is that is likely to happen in the second half of 2022.

Hmm I can try and see if wife is willing to wait. Granny has a 1996 E class elegance a petrol with 136k miles. Hasn't been used in 2 year's so needs to pass MOT etc but otherwise perfectly useable.

Had another chat with wife and she's Def against any MPVs/estate class but is ok with look / style of saloon (c class). Had a quick look and a <30k mile 2019/20 c class saloon is same price. Would it fit our needs?

Just a bit worried the used car market will be like real estate - stay constantly frothy! I guess atleast with cars there is constant new supply.

Is it pretty much guaranteed to cool down h2-22? Amy suggestions on data / articles I can show her to support this?

Welcome. :) 👍

With a young family, plans to grow further, and potential for grandparent to travel with the family at some point, I’d be looking at something bigger, or at least taller. Taller cars enable occupants to comfortably sit in a more upright position enabling more interior space for other things (not just limbs).

How about a GLB?

The only advice I would give is be prepared to travel for the right car. I have travelled the length and breadth of the country buying my cars and vans…..I treat it as a day out😉

With a young family, plans to grow further, and potential for grandparent to travel with the family at some point, I’d be looking at something bigger, or at least taller. Taller cars enable occupants to comfortably sit in a more upright position enabling more interior space for other things (not just limbs).

How about a GLB?

granny using it at same time will be super rare tbh. wife is super petitite so she could def fit in middle seat in that scenario (50kg 163cm)...but we'll def get a 7 seater at some point. just a tiny bit too early at this point imo. If anything would simply make more sense to prob get 2 separate cars at 25k & 10k in that scenario. have to admit i hate how the GLB looks like though! Would def be getting a XC90 at that point i feel. GLC / GLE look much nicer but i imagine even then would be out of price range!

The only advice I would give is be prepared to travel for the right car. I have travelled the length and breadth of the country buying my cars and vans…..I treat it as a day out😉

yep. i think the dealers "Big Motoring World" have a very good selection. I guess at the end of the day just need to test the same model, not necessarily same car surely? if i like the look and feel of model but dont like colour / milage / additional specs, could just order from somewhere else to be delivered (assuming return available for unpredictable / unmentioned issues like rust etc)

Last edited:
Yes I get that the big players are willing to move cars to other branches, but keep your options open, the right car at the right price could be sitting at a smaller independent garage with a much better reputation than your Arnold Clarks, Evan Halshaw’s of this world. If you can get a car local great, if you can get a better car by travelling, travel.

Your use case and being in London is perfect for an EV. Get the old mercedes on the road as a back up ICE car if needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom