would the police act upon a report of bad driving?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AbbieCadabra

Car
E350CDI
i know this is a bit of an obscure question, humour me if at all possible please. :)

if the police received a report of bad driving, but not dangerous/life threatening nor high speed, would they act on it? no CCTV in the area where it occurred but possibly more than 1 witness to the event. it was outside a school which makes me think it might be taken more seriously?

Possibly - but unfortunately I am under the impression it depends how bored they are - give it a go ?

Would it not depend on if an offence has been committed?

If yes then I believe they have to look into it and at the very least it gets recorded.

If it's not an offence then I doubt they will do much.

If it wasn't dangerous/life threatening nor high speed then why bother.

Very unlikely they would act if there is only one other witness. This is to avoid malicious complaints. However if you are credible and your witness is credible then give it a try. I am assuming that you have all the details, registration number etc.

I reported a driver for doing something that was potentially dangerous. The police told me that if they do not see it with their own eyes they will not do anything about it. I guess it could be seen as a motive to get someone into trouble who you may have an issue with out side of this incident. So much for citizens rights to arrest...

I got badly cut up - but not hit - by a car driver whilst I was cycling where I used to live in Essex. I was close to my local police station, so I reported it at the desk, with just a registration and description to go on.

A few days later I got a call saying the police had shown up on his doorstep to discuss it. Obviously, he denied it and they understandably couldn't take it further, but it might make him think a bit more - the incident was caused by carelessness and inconsideration rather than malice.

Can't complain about the police there!

thanks for your replies :)

this was another 100% carelessness & inconsideration from one driver that caused (what i would consider) a little over-reaction from the other driver (perhaps even self preservation from the other driver as he just wanted to get away from the one who'd caused the incident).

will see what happens...

Your not trying to get your better half banned from driving your new car are you Abbie?

As above I very much doubt they would do anything.

Some Police forces operate a sort of 'neighbourhood speed watch' scheme, where residents are given a laser gun and trained to use it. But even this 'hard evidence' is not admissible - the most that can happen is that the reported driver gets sent a warning letter.

But having said that ... nothing to lose in giving it a go. If it did result in the driver getting a 'visit' it would have been worthwhile. Good luck!

As above I very much doubt they would do anything.

Some Police forces operate a sort of 'neighbourhood speed watch' scheme, where residents are given a laser gun and trained to use it. But even this 'hard evidence' is not admissible - the most that can happen is that the reported driver gets sent a warning letter.

But having said that ... nothing to lose in giving it a go. If it did result in the driver getting a 'visit' it would have been worthwhile. Good luck!
This sounds like another example of what a truly nasty society we've become.
So now we're all going to report examples of bad driving to the police and they're going to visit the perps, whether guilty of anything or not.
I'll take a stab and suggest most of us will get the odd visit,including all of the fully paid up members of the "holier than thou" brigade.

I'd rather Plod put a speed camera or had checks on my road than neighbours do it ineffectually. I estimate at least one car has come round the blind corner from which I have to reverse at well over twice the speed limit, and most cars do 40 +.

They won't do so though until someone is killed or badly injured.

I make no pretence of being totally punctilious myself, but wish I didn't have to dice with an accident daily.

I got a 'telling off' from an officer who had to drive 30 mins to my home and 30 mins back just for a 5 minute word.
What a waste of police time in my opinion.

My drive to work happens at the same time every day and passes a police station, surely waiting the next day and stopping me at the police station would have been better use of police time and money.

I didnt mind the telling off, but got annoyed when at the officer once he tried to imtimidate me saying today its a telling off but if it carries on will get worse like summons.

I asked surely you cannot take someone to court over a driving offence, which is someone's opinion with no video evidence, my dad backed me up but he didnt really answer the question saying the road will be 'monitored', which it hasnt.

I got a 'telling off' from an officer who had to drive 30 mins to my home and 30 mins back just for a 5 minute word.

In my opinion, if they felt a visit was worthwhile, then it wasn't a waste of time.

You implied that you're relatively young by mentioning your parents. It seems likely that the police officer came to see you because they wanted your parents to see that your behaviour warrented a visit from the police. The hope is that after that, your parents will have a word with you without the need for further police involvement.

Advice here from an old fogey (feel free to ignore if you like), listen to what the police are telling you. There's obviously a good reason for them to talk to you, and they don't often talk just for the hell of it.

In my opinion, if they felt a visit was worthwhile, then it wasn't a waste of time.

You implied that you're relatively young by mentioning your parents. It seems likely that the police officer came to see you because they wanted your parents to see that your behaviour warrented a visit from the police. The hope is that after that, your parents will have a word with you without the need for further police involvement.

Advice here from an old fogey (feel free to ignore if you like), listen to what the police are telling you. There's obviously a good reason for them to talk to you, and they don't often talk just for the hell of it.

The officer did give me the choice of speaking to me alone or with my parents so i dont think that was the reason.

I did speak to him with my parents though as i wasnt quite sure why he was there or what he was going to say, it wasnt like i had been dreading a visit for something i had done. When he asked do you know why i was here i did not, to which he said its about your driving, then went onto explain the complaint.

I did say well thats an opinion and seemed ott about the complaint but did listen to his advice.

Sometimes there are great benefits to having a lease car. If the police want to 'have a word' they have to put it in writing to the lease company first etc. Yes I'm sure for a serious ofference it could be done quicker but not for something routine.

Only downside is the lease company charge you to provide your details!

My drive to work happens at the same time every day and passes a police station, surely waiting the next day and stopping me at the police station would have been better use of police time and money.

I didnt mind the telling off, but got annoyed when at the officer once he tried to imtimidate me saying today its a telling off but if it carries on will get worse like summons.

I asked surely you cannot take someone to court over a driving offence, which is someone's opinion with no video evidence, my dad backed me up but he didnt really answer the question saying the road will be 'monitored', which it hasnt.

did someone inform on you?

The police take bad driving reports very seriously.

Someone called the police in me for what they percieved was dangerous driving, some git doing 30 in a 50 DCW zone in the outside lane got treated to my Xenon light disco. They moved off and because there was no other traffic, I was on full roundabout attack. 10mins later I was in the back of a traffic car, but was let go as I explained the outside lane hogging by the copey dunt.

did someone inform on you?

Yes they did. I drive to work the same time they do and they must not like my driving.
I love the road to work though, dead straight and enough room for 3 cars seperated by two round-a-bouts. Massive 'hard shoulder' lanes even though its a single carriageway road. Lorries usually move right over to the left for you and let you past. Not sure why its not a dual carriageway tbh.

The police take bad driving reports very seriously.

Someone called the police in me for what they percieved was dangerous driving, some git doing 30 in a 50 DCW zone in the outside lane got treated to my Xenon light disco. They moved off and because there was no other traffic, I was on full roundabout attack. 10mins later I was in the back of a traffic car, but was let go as I explained the outside lane hogging by the copey dunt.

Wow didn't realise they took it that seriously. But thats why its slightly annoying. Someone could make something up or be wrong, like they were in your case. Not sure what you mean by roundabout attacks? driving down the same road then going to the roundabout and going the way you just came?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom