Would there be an aerial wire around my windscreen?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beaker218

Car
C257 CLS 2019
Hi

Could someone help me please.

A flying stone cracked my front windscreen on Thursday on my 2012 E250 CDI Sport so I contacted my Insurance company (LV) who put me through to Autoglass for a replacement.

Autoglass asked 2 questions:

Firstly, Do I have a piece of wire going around my windscreen? I said I didn't because I thought that it was the rear windscreen that contained the aerial for the radio. I have just now had a look at my front windscreen and I can't see any wire (although the perimeter of the windscreen has a black coating so it is a bit difficult to see) but I also can't see any wire within the rear windscreen either. However, I'm now wondering if the wire they were talking about was for the sat nav as I have an Audio 50 but I don't know if the fin thingy I have on the roof acts as the sat nav antenna.

The second question they asked was if I had the adaptive lighting system which I told them I did have.

So, basically, I would be grateful if anyone here could advise me if I am likely to have aerial wire going around my front windscreen or not. Autoglass aren't replacing the screen until next Saturday so I have a bit of time to change the order.

Thanks

Wow thanks for the quick answer Dieselman

Hi, I too just had a new screen fitted into my Ml350 bluetec and noticed elements in the lower part (darkened area) also. No idea what they do or even if they're connected, any ideas please?

heating elements?

Maybe, but how do you switch it on?

OK, apparently it's a heating element to stop wipers sticking to the windscreen in winter, and all replacement screens now have this fitted as standard whether you have a switch or not. Guess the dealer could connect it up if you needed it.

If connected I imagine it would come on automatically same as with the heated door mirrors

Newer cars with TV have some of the TV antenna in the windscreen (MY14 onward I think)
Cars with headlamp-assist/lane-assist/speed-limit-assist are different at the top of windscreen (i.e location for camera), and if you have this they need to supply one with the heating for the area around the camera
Cars with Night Vision also have different at the top for the Night Vision camera

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom