Would you buy a CAT N C63?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

illusion

Car
Clio 182
Hi All,

I’ve been lurking around the forum for a few months now, as I’m looking to buy a face-lift C63.

My question is, would you buy a Cat N (Non-structural damage) C63, if the car had been professionally repaired by Mercedes?

Welcome.

No.

I'd imagine that you could buy an undamaged car for a similar price. Personally, I would never knowingly buy a car that had been in a big accident and rather pay a little extra.

Clearly a Cat N can’t have had any structural damage and ought to be ok to buy. However, I don’t expect one could be economically repaired by a Mercedes garage or it wouldn’t have been written off in the first instance.

I wouldn't on a car like that.

I've bought what was a CAT D in the past and it was fine but it was a 900 quid Mundano.

I'd wait for the right car personally.

I'd wait for a clean car to come along. I've seen how some of these back street garages carry out poor repairs on damaged vehicles and put them back on the road.

Unless it was half the price of an undamaged one, no. Someone has been fully paid out in the past, therefore I'd feel ripped off and if I had to claim, I wouldn't get full value for it.

No.
There are dozens of C63's flooding the market now, some as low as £15k+
It's probably fine, but will always have the Cat N marker against the car and may be difficult to sell later on down the line.

Don’t buy it’s a insurance right off

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks All.

Im happy to play the waiting game, it seems that most which are for sale at the mo’ are up north, which is no good for me being down south.

Thanks All.

Im happy to play the waiting game, it seems that most which are for sale at the mo’ are up north, which is no good for me being down south.

No to the Cat N

Trains/Planes travel the breadth of the UK, good luck.

Personally no, but in general a CAT N yes, depending on what it was written off for and price. Cars can get written off for silly things

I bought a Cat N Audi A6 Avant Ultra a few years ago. It had been rear ended and then very well repaired. I paid £12k for a car great 2 year old car with less than 30k miles. It served me well for a year, I put another 12k miles on it and sold it year later with no loss!
However, I come from the world of motorsport where we expect to put 'write offs' back on the track for the next session....
I saw pictures of the damage, inspected the repair, test drove it and it was fine. The guy who bought it from me was a builder of race engines, and 2 years later is still really happy with the great car he got for way under the market price.
If you have the tech savvy and right mindset they can be real bargains, but I understand they are not for everyone.

Thanks All.

There’s one located in Manchester that I’m tempted with, may have to train it up there.

Also consider renting a car one way, you can just bring it back if you don't buy.

Generally, it would have to be at a price that I couldn't refuse to even be interested. I've bought cat d equivalent cars in the past, they tend to be littered with minor issues which you understand over time. Usually relating to shortcuts in repair or things that have been missed during the repair cycle.

That said, I didn't lose money on any of the cars that I bought and they all ran well enough mechanically.

On a C63, I don't think I'd chance it

They are usually fine but it would need to be at a very very good price to compensate for any difficulties selling it on later. There is still, I think, a huge stigma generally against such cars

It's a bit of a lottery... not all cars will be repaired to the same standards by people with the same morals, and whilst there could be some bargains out there which are no doubt fine, there are also deathtraps waiting for you to learn the hard way how unsafe they were in a crash because they've not been repaired to the same standard.

I even know of the latter where the car has gone abroad and been repaired on the cheap and then come back.

That said, this can happen to cars with unrecorded damage too so a bit of luck is required not to buy a duffer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom