would you buy a press release car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pagzzy

out of interest would you buy a press release demonstrator from a main dealer if there was a good discount involved? or would you worry it was abused.

Have found a reasonable amg car 2013 plate with 11,000 miles but debating whether its worth it .... generally abused cars will call issues later on ? or not?

out of interest would you buy a press release demonstrator from a main dealer if there was a good discount involved? or would you worry it was abused.

Have found a reasonable amg car 2013 plate with 11,000 miles but debating whether its worth it .... generally abused cars will call issues later on ? or not?

Probably had at least a 100 different drivers, who all drove it like a hire car?

Neil

pagzzy said:
out of interest would you buy a press release demonstrator from a main dealer if there was a good discount involved? or would you worry it was abused. Have found a reasonable amg car 2013 plate with 11,000 miles but debating whether its worth it .... generally abused cars will call issues later on ? or not?
normally mb extend the warranty in that type of cars if is cheap enough is might worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

debating offers pretty good but nothing over the top ..... just about 2k off extra.... having issues over the number of drivers and how the cars been treated so I will request additional warranty as part of the sale so that should keep me covered and new tyres.... but already had the speal of a halo product we cant offer anything further nonsense.

Offer £5k less than you have as a best price so far...

Actually, make it £10k, then sit and wait.

Often good cars to buy. As well as hire cars.

Lots of different drivers from new means it's well run in.

Who dares wins, Rodney...

Spot on.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. Either way you'll spending a good few bob, why possibly detract from the ownership experience with a nagging doubt in the back of your mind.

Now, if was a humdrum 15k car and it was offered for 10k, I'd be more inclined.

They're usually fully optioned so that's a plus point

Yes, but similarly some of them are pre-production models and may have bugs that were fixed on later cars.

On balance though I would buy one if the discount was substantial enough.

Keeping in mind that if it proves to be a lemon then you could always trade it in and buy a new one instead, as long as you paid well under retail price in the first place.

FWIW, I owned one of two green P reg Ford Explorers which were press demonstrators, though only worked it out from pictures in the press, had a good deal from a car supermarket. It was a pretty reliable car. It had obviously been off-roaded before we had it, they hadn't sprayed the underside clan so there were some chunks of mud. Traded it in for a 3 year old 52 reg VW Golf in 2005, so it survived about 8 years with us and about 80k - just before getting rid of it I discovered it had a speed limiter at 115mph so it still went though it had all the mechanical refinement of the Model T chassis it seemed to be built on. It did have 52 buttons on the dashboard though.

The main problem we had was getting it insured as it was a Nov 96 reg and it wasn't released onto the market until 1997.

Attached picture is on is last day, looks tidy you can't see the complete lack of brake pads.

Attachments

• IMGP0506.jpg
    IMGP0506.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I worked at Jaguar during the release of the X-Type (a very under-rated car in 3.0 AWD form).
We had all press cars back each week to change parts and retune the engines.
Press cars were tunned to 20 or 30 bhp more than standard and had lots of mods to fix squeaks and rattles that production cars never had. Even had some resprayed (to cover chips and marks) in the factory.

I would buy one of those no problems...... if I could travel back in time to 2001.

It's like meeting that outstanding looking young lass in the pub, the one you and all your mates have always fancied. Dripping with fine clothes, she's inexpensive to buy drinks for and tremendous entertainment. But, at the end of the day, she's got rather a lot of early miles on the clock and been used and abused by more than a blaggard or two.

She's not the sort to take home to meet your Mum, let alone have a long term relationship with. Before long she'd leave you broken hearted with empty pockets.

It's like meeting that outstanding looking young lass in the pub, the one you and all your mates have always fancied. Dripping with fine clothes, she's inexpensive to buy drinks for and tremendous entertainment. But, at the end of the day, she's got rather a lot of early miles on the clock and been used and abused by more than a blaggard or two.

She's not the sort to take home to meet your Mum, let alone have a long term relationship with. Before long she'd leave you broken hearted with empty pockets.

Then you grow old wonder what you did in your life and look back on that day in the pub wishing you took the plunge so to speak ...... But great advice if I can get extended warranty and looks okay maybe worth it.

Many people have a largely irrational fear that such a car may have been in some way abused in a way that affects its future longevity. If it looks straight and clean, you should use this as a lever for a discount that you're happy with and then buy it.

Just check obvious things like brake discs, pads and tyres which would have taken a hammering if it's been on a track for performance testing and if they're all good then what else is there to be concerned about?

Excellent. Coffee all over me bleedin keyboard.

Aston-Martin-Sexist-Ad.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom