Would you buy one....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hideous.

I digress but personally wouldn’t touch anything VAG with a barge pole anyway. Every one over about 3 years old you drive behind seems to leave a smoke trail behind it worse than any other brand. Pretty much always hit the recirc button when I see one on the horizon. Friend has an A4 that fills its own cabin with smoke periodically and has had numerous hideously expensive repairs over the years but seems to love the car anyway.

Hideous.

I digress but personally wouldn’t touch anything VAG with a barge pole anyway. Every one over about 3 years old you drive behind seems to leave a smoke trail behind it worse than any other brand. Pretty much always hit the recirc button when I see one on the horizon. Friend has an A4 that fills its own cabin with smoke periodically and has had numerous hideously expensive repairs over the years but seems to love the car anyway.
My S203 filled the cabin with smoke a couple of times wen one or another of the diesel injectors started leaking ; won't have diesel again .

Having had VW's since the air-cooled days , I like the solid engineering .

It's not quite the 10sec 'roof rescue' of the MX-5, a feature much used here, even in the alleged summer months!
Indeed , kind of like when I used to undo 8 bolts and remove the roof from my Triumph Herald .

I don't get how many more fringe or niche fill in models can be created. Surely there can't be a big market for something like this can there?

I can't stand the thing or the Evoke convertible either. Firstly I don't quite see the need for a convertible in this country half the time anyway. Secondly an SUV is surely not an obvious choice or model to lop the roof off is it?

There are occasions when a blast in a nice sports convertible makes sense. I prefer a Targa really. The Chimaera works really well.

I don't get how many more fringe or niche fill in models can be created. Surely there can't be a big market for something like this can there?

I can't stand the thing or the Evoke convertible either. Firstly I don't quite see the need for a convertible in this country half the time anyway. Secondly an SUV is surely not an obvious choice or model to lop the roof off is it?

There are occasions when a blast in a nice sports convertible makes sense. I prefer a Targa really. The Chimaera works really well.
You also have your R129 ; I drive mine roof down whenever it isn’t raining .

You also have your R129 ; I drive mine roof down whenever it isn’t raining .
I did have my R129.....sold it about 2 months ago I'm afraid. Just wasn't using it and did circa 1500 miles in 4 years. Never really drive it much with the roof down either as always don't feel comfortable in a full convertible.

Just on my way up to Morecambe Bay to trade in the TVR for a new toy. A nice V8 manual coupe ;)

Reactions: 219
Hideous.

I followed our 2010 Golf TDi the other week and it doesn't smoke. The inside of the tailpipes have never been cleaned and they are still clean.

I did have my R129.....sold it about 2 months ago I'm afraid. Just wasn't using it and did circa 1500 miles in 4 years. Never really drive it much with the roof down either as always don't feel comfortable in a full convertible.

Just on my way up to Morecambe Bay to trade in the TVR for a new toy. A nice V8 manual coupe ;)
Knew you were looking to sell it , didn’t realise it had gone .

Is it made by ‘TONKA’ :D

Knew you were looking to sell it , didn’t realise it had gone .
Afraid so. Just noticed Nigel's SL60 up for auction on The Market. Suspect it will go for too much money that I can justify at the moment.

Whenever I see things like the Evoque and this T-Roc, my brain instantly thinks:

sandringham_castiron_bathtub.jpg

Preordered a MK3 Scirocco before release date.

Massive pile of shite.

Would never own another VW again.

I may go against the grain here and say it makes more sense to me than the likes of the gle / x6 type of SUV.
Least you are actually gaining something (open top motoring) whilst on the gle all you do is lose practicality without gaining anything.

I personally wouldn't have one and think it's fugly but people probably thought that about the Vitara fat boy when people started buying them instead of hot hatches in 1990 :)

A convertible SUV - the final taboo?

No.

For me it's a pointless and stupid concept a convertible SUV. To make this work it's has to go beyond pointless and stupid, it had to be completely batshit stupid, laughable lunatic of an idea. A full size SUV a proper off roader convertable but with a 500+bhp NASCAR snarling V8 under the bonnet. Now there's a proper off the scales stupid idea. Convertable G63 AMG anybody?

Careful what you ask for!
Mercedes-Benz G 500 Cabriolet - GCC Specs for sale: AED 599,000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom