Would you buy this Grey Import?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

norustplease

Car
W124 230CE
I have recently been offered a W124 saloon (a 320E) which has been imported from Japan. It is a tempting prospect, completely rust free, extremely low mileage and very clean and tidy with service records, etc.
I have asked the dealer about anomalies in specification and he assures me that apart from the speedo head being in kilometres, this will be indistinguishable from the equivalent model marketed in the UK at the time and will have an age related registration, etc.
Are there any potential traps if I buy this car (assuming that the speedo head is changed to MPH)? Will there be spare parts issues, or insurance problems?
Any feedback would be welcome before I jump in and then regret it!!!

No parts issues as they would have been produced in Europe. Driving issues, none.

Just remember:

118km - 70mph
80kmh - 50 mph
50 kmh - 30 mph

I honestly think you will have no regrets.

You will pay a bit more to insure an import. Also they usually come with no history so tempting for some dealers to give the mileage a haircut.

Being a 320 it will most likely require a replacement loom as although most Japan cars are low mileage they spend all the time in traffic which is no good for the loom (So ive been told!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom