Would you curb an alloy for an ambulance

Would you risk curbing an alloy for an ambulance

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It would certainly be very interesting.

I don't have time at the moment but would it help if I wrote a longer post about driving an ambulance under emergency conditions, from the driver's point of view?

Would be fascinated to read it

The NEW Highway Code Rule 219 says :- Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

Just resurrected this as I was stuck in traffic the other day and was approached from behind by an ambulance. 3 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic at Earls Court, me in lane 1, and I seemed to be the only person making an attempt to create space. I say bumper to bumper, but I always leave enough room for me to get around the guy in front - force of habit. The tail of traffic behind me up to the ambulance was static and I felt for the frustration it must have caused the crew. It's easily wide enough for 4 abreast if everyone moved over; I thought my maneuver to the nearside would have encouraged the guy behind to do the same, but no, he was stuck in some other world tapping on the steering wheel and staring blankly ahead.

Anyway, I'll just add this quote taken from the MET police website, which comes after their quotation of Highway Code Rule 219:

"We would further add;

We do NOT expect you to risk damage to your tyres, wheels or steering by bumping up kerbs to make way for us.

We do NOT expect you to put yourself in danger by crossing red traffic lights to make way for us.

We do NOT expect you to risk road camera fines by, for example, moving in to bus lanes during hours of operation to make way for us.

We would however, appreciate your co-operation by looking well ahead and choosing sensible places to pull over. If possible avoid stopping before bends, brows of hills or narrow sections of roads where we may have difficulty passing."

I think that at least would give the argument not to cross at lights on red some sway, as I know some members on here have been prosecuted having done so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom