Would you like £500? We are hiring!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes, it’s such a common story. My indie in Carlisle had a stand at a Careers evening at the collage. 3 hours sat there and no one approached the desk. 🤷‍♂️

Very strange.
Wow - my son is desperate to do mechanical engineering at Uni - but he wants to work on STEAM engines , he already has two small ones !

Are they? or are they in education? Especially as young people can't leave education until 18
That's why I'm 66 and not yet retired : no 1 son is still only 15 !

That's what you get for having children later in life , but H was an unplanned , but still very welcome , surprise !

Last edited:
Different industry, but I've seen a definite increase in crazy expectations of late when recruiting for IT engineers.

People expecting to walk into a £50k+ job straight out of education
CV's that are pure works of fiction - you will get found out at interview, and you'll look like an eejit.
We had a role that required a certain amount of clearance, we make this very clear in the job spec and it gets raised more than once during the interview process. We made an offer to someone, only to have them baulk when it came to submitting for clearance and they admitted they wouldn't get it. Do you think it was optional, that we mentioned half a dozen times just for sh*ts and giggles? :mad:

I don't know who is filling heads with these delusions, but they must be getting them from somewhere.
A bit like my son thinking he'd get a Lamborghini for his first car , when i told him to think again , he modified his request to a 5.0L Ford Mustang , eventually that came down to an MX-5 . When i still tell him to expect a VW Polo , same as his older sister got for her first car , that is met with derision ....

Great expectations ...

That's a good project for him, a steam engine Polo:rolleyes:
Remember the pics:thumb:
He currently has a Mamod steam lorry , and a Wilesco Steam traction engine , both operational ; plus at our local miniature railway , he helps to look after a 7-1/4" gauge Gresley A4 Pacific Steam Locomotive , and has helped me drive full size steam locomotives on the SRPS line : Maud , No 673 , which I helped restore and met with General Maud's grandson on recommissioning , also Union Of South Africa , No 60009 . He's doing OK . Oh , and we have a couple of steamable appliances in the Fire Service museum - although he hasn't yet been let loose on them , but members do know of his interest and abilities .

Oh , and he has a sizeable collection of OO and HO gauge model railway kit , 100+ locomotives , and a commensurate amount of track buildings and rolling stock ...

Why do people keep saying the model railway hobby is dead ?

I just have my very modest collection of Hornby Dublo kit , which is 60+ years old , from my childhood , and Harris knows he isn't getting it until I croak , though i do run it on his track ....

IMG_0143a.jpg

And here are his miniature steam appliances , he lives with his mother , but the models live with me ; I won't yet get into his RC warships

IMG_0145a.jpg

IMG_0144a.jpg

Last edited:
He currently has a Mamod steam lorry , and a Wilesco Steam traction engine , both operational ; plus at our local miniature railway , he helps to look after a 7-1/4" gauge Gresley A4 Pacific Steam Locomotive , and has helped me drive full size steam locomotives on the SRPS line : Maud , No 673 , which I helped restore and met with General Maud's grandson on recommissioning , also Union Of South Africa , No 60009 . He's doing OK . Oh , and we have a couple of steamable appliances in the Fire Service museum - although he hasn't yet been let loose on them , but members do know of his interest and abilities .

Oh , and he has a sizeable collection of OO and HO gauge model railway kit , 100+ locomotives , and a commensurate amount of track buildings and rolling stock ...

I just have my very modest collection of Hornby Dublo kit , which is 60+ years old , from my childhood , and Harris knows he isn't getting it until I croak , though i do run it on his track ....

View attachment 154542

And here are his miniature steam appliances , he lives with his mother , but the models live with me ; I won't yet get into his RC warships

View attachment 154543

View attachment 154544
You can tell from the drips in the above picture that they do get regularly used !

And , he may have the model of Tornado , but

21_IMG6016a.jpg

And

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Of course , interest in steam power is not limited to land traction , this was taken two weeks ago

10_IMG8220.jpg

I have to admit that , after inspecting the engines , the nearby whisky bar , below the forecastle , holds a certain interest for me ...

Another steam railway video you don't see everyday

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's why I'm 66 and not yet retired : no 1 son is still only 15 !

That's what you get for having children later in life , but H was an unplanned , but still very welcome , surprise !
I ‘retired’ when I was 50.

My youngest daughter was born when I was 68! Planned but still a wonderful surprise.

View attachment 154542

View attachment 154543

View attachment 154544
Kit steam engines, schmit steam engines. When I was young H’s age I made a model traction engine from scratch at school. Formed and soldered the boiler from sheet copper, turned bearings and governor parts from brass, sand cast flywheel and vehicle wheels from aluminium using wood patterns that I also made.

Took me a year to make. Took just one night left on display at school for it to be stolen 🤬. Making it taught me a lot. So did losing it!

… us poor pensioners who after a lifetime of paying NI and tax are still paying 40% tax on part of our pension.
I don’t class myself as a poor pensioner; not rich but comfortable. How I’d love to be paying 40% tax on part of it. That would mean me getting over £50k a year! If only.

Steering back the thread drift here, I was out with a supplier last night, a claims handling & legal firm (one of the good ones)

Same challenges in getting 18 year olds into the firm, not helped by them then needing to do professional qualifications.
Back in the day, it's what you understood was needed, but less seemingly have the stomach or ambition for it. Some safe, secure and well paid careers are available there though.

Any update, Alex, on your search?

Steering back the thread drift here, I was out with a supplier last night, a claims handling & legal firm (one of the good ones)

Same challenges in getting 18 year olds into the firm, not helped by them then needing to do professional qualifications.
Back in the day, it's what you understood was needed, but less seemingly have the stomach or ambition for it. Some safe, secure and well paid careers are available there though.

Any update, Alex, on your search?

So, no further applicants via organic means.

We have a new part time helper coming in 2 days a week. Currently studying motorsport engineering and keen to learn the basiscs.

We have also bitten the bullet and taken on the services of a motor industry recruitment company to try and get some feet through the door. With a fee payable immediately upon employee start, which is 18% of their annual wage, its a big commitement. Especially as if we terminate their employment within a month, we only get 50% of that back.

That said, we have 6 interviews lined up. Interestingly of those 6, 5 are currently employed in the same roles in other companies and have been approached by the recruitment company. Its high risk high reward, for a short term (3-6 month) stagnation in profits.

Jeeze, 25-55k depending on experience. Glad I left motor trade when I did....

I don't know what you mean
Money that is offered in motor trade is comical, you need to be good at hvac, computers, electrics, mechanics, pneumatics and hydraulics. Yet pay for Diagnostic technicians isn't even anything to be shouting about. I'm not wondering at all why it's hard to find anyone that wants to work on cars anymore.....

Money that is offered in motor trade is comical, you need to be good at hvac, computers, electrics, mechanics, pneumatics and hydraulics. Yet pay for Diagnostic technicians isn't even anything to be shouting about. I'm not wondering at all why it's hard to find anyone that wants to work on cars anymore.....
Ok, thanks for the input.

I cover 4 of those 6 disciplines in my job and I don't pay myself anywhere near Alex's top rate....but then as a director of the company I also have a duty to maintain profitability.

I cover 4 of those 6 disciplines in my job and I don't pay myself anywhere near Alex's top rate....but then as a director of the company I also have a duty to maintain profitability.
It's not a sustainable trade anymore unfortunately, most people I've worked with have left it for the greater good. End of the day costs go up for everyone but pay isn't. Yet all you hear at main dealers how much profit they made year on year which is just a slap on the face.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom