Would you spend more than a car's value to keep it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You're unlucky to have SBC, I thought with the facelift of 2006 that was replaced.
Mrs Me has the same motor, but 2009, 132k+ miles.
With the daft 2nd hand market now I feel it's worth closer to £4k than the £2.7K we paid 18 months back.

Whatever value it's a great car and worth more to us.
A couple of weeks back we returned from Torquay, the longer coast route. It was an easy drive and I think it would take a lot of money to buy a replacement that could beat the experience.
On a good run it can easily return 50+mpg.

Last month I had the wheels powder coated and fitted new tyres.
I've fitted a Chinese Android HU, so it has reverse cam and dash cam, as well as such as Sat Nav, music within its memory and more.
It's missing DRL's, for safety I may fit those later.

I would consider replacing for a 646 211, with grey interior that has drivers memory pack. Otherwise I don't see the point.

Mrs Saff had a 2004 Rav manual 5 door for many years and it was a great car. She replaced it for a new-ish B180 cdi. Although the B is fine she does actually regret selling the Rav. I'm inclined to agree with her.
My wife’s is the third one she has had , I have even just about adjusted to driving it after my SLK55 , 🥲

As you like it, but see that there is a fair expenditure in the future why don't you open a specific bank account now & put in a monthly amount which you will not miss. Hopefully it will have grown by the time you need it. If not for the full amount, then enough to make the hit bearable.:)

You're unlucky to have SBC, I thought with the facelift of 2006 that was replaced.
Mrs Me has the same motor, but 2009, 132k+ miles.
With the daft 2nd hand market now I feel it's worth closer to £4k than the £2.7K we paid 18 months back.

Whatever value it's a great car and worth more to us.
A couple of weeks back we returned from Torquay, the longer coast route. It was an easy drive and I think it would take a lot of money to buy a replacement that could beat the experience.
On a good run it can easily return 50+mpg.

Last month I had the wheels powder coated and fitted new tyres.
I've fitted a Chinese Android HU, so it has reverse cam and dash cam, as well as such as Sat Nav, music within its memory and more.
It's missing DRL's, for safety I may fit those later.

I would consider replacing for a 646 211, with grey interior that has drivers memory pack. Otherwise I don't see the point.
Yeah this was my first foray into MB and should have researched more. My car is JUST pre-facelift. Had I known etc... having said that this car has the best brakes of any car I've owned, and that's quite a few. Just returned from a week at our static in the lakes: it would take quite some car to give that kind of ride for the money.

I wish I'd kept my S211 and bit the bullet for rear bags. I miss that car. We have a static near the lakes too and the car just swallowed whatever I put in it!

I wish I'd kept my S211 and bit the bullet for rear bags. I miss that car. We have a static near the lakes too and the car just swallowed whatever I put in it!
I remember you having the s211. I bought the wagon to carry our Bullmastiff to and from the static, no space issues there. Sadly we lost our girl 12 months ago. The wagon is sooo useful I've decided to keep it. Where about is your static? Ours is in Haverthwaite near Newby Bridge.

When in this position, I always calculate the cost of repairing what I have against the cost of replacing for something else. Even second hand, you will pay £1000's more than current value of your car and may then need to spend more to keep it roadworthy. So, if you go for new, as soon as you drive off the forecourt you loose approx 20-25% of value, if you go for a PCH lease, work out how much you will spend a year against repairing your old car. IMO it is not a straight forward decision and really does need plenty of thought. You know your car and what is wrong with it, it can be repaired and you will have a good car, personally I would almost treat the value as secondary, and just think of cost of keeping a car on the road against possible replacements. Just my opinion.:)

It seems the opinion of the group matches my own. I get a lot of customers who say “I’m not spending that much, the car is only worth X”. What they should be comparing is the cost of repair vs the price to change cars. That’s the only relevant comparison really.

I remember you having the s211. I bought the wagon to carry our Bullmastiff to and from the static, no space issues there. Sadly we lost our girl 12 months ago. The wagon is sooo useful I've decided to keep it. Where about is your static? Ours is in Haverthwaite near Newby Bridge.
Middleton, Morecambe. 40 mins max from Preston with the new(ish) road! I remember when it used to be a minimum of 1.5 hours as had to drive through Lancaster

I do sometimes wish I'd kept the 190e but only as a 2nd car that never saw rain and salt. It had passed it's suitability to withstand every day use.
Who wants to live forever ?

Things are great in their time, but eventually the change is eventually inevitable for one reason or another.

I loved the 190e in its time, but needs and tech evolved: babies, tech etc etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Who wants to live forever ?

Things are great in their time, but eventually the change is eventually inevitable for one reason or another.

I loved the 190e in its time, but needs and tech evolved: babies, tech etc etc.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Many (28?) years ago I test drove a 190 2.6 with a view to buy. It was a lovely drive but was a manual when I really wanted an auto. I don't know if there was an issue or it was just a trait of that model but as if it had a really heavy flywheel, the revs would take a while to die off between gear changes which tended to give a kick in the pants as you engaged the clutch. It may have been my poor driving :rolleyes:. It was a lovely car though and I regret not moving into MB ownership then. I stayed with Nissan. :).

It seems the opinion of the group matches my own. I get a lot of customers who say “I’m not spending that much, the car is only worth X”. What they should be comparing is the cost of repair vs the price to change cars. That’s the only relevant comparison really.

Good point. In my case I run a city car for as little as possible - manual, small engine, no turbos, no DFF's , no EGR, low insurance, low tax - so I can indulge a little bit more in my other one.

Speaking of which, I'm not planning on changing it any time soon. The closest thing would be an E43 but as MB decided not to sell any decent non-AMG petrols for a decade or so, they're still too new/expensive for me. It's not that I couldn't buy one; it's just that I'd rather do something else with the £15-20k I'd need to put towards it. I'll consider the change when the difference is nearer £10k.

So I might as well look after what I've got. It's off getting the rear bumper (finally....) resprayed.

Over the next 6-12 months I'll do a few more things; the body shop I've just found can do me a paint correction and machine polish for £300-ish. I'll get the wheels done after I get back from France; again £300-ish.

The Android system and sub have made a real difference to my enjoyment of it. I must find a bit of time to get back to Comandonline for the Morel door speakers & tweeters. And try to ignore the fact that they could stick an extra amp in at the same time....

Anyway, if you think about, the paintwork and wheels are really just normal wear and tear items which would get marked down if and when I come to sell it.

The Android unit is massive upgrade in functionality and adds value to the car.

The sub/speakers/amp are more of a luxury purchase but I suppose I'll recoup something if I sell it privately to someone who's bothered about sound - and a lot of people are. More to the point, they add massively to my enjoyment of the car. I still miss the HK in my 211 and it's great to get back to something a lot better than the standard system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom