Wow – W124 ownership - Now I understand! !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c55

Car
C37, Evo, S124, Hartge H5
Just joined the ranks of W124 ownership and picked my first W124 and I can categorically say “Now I understand! “….…No words ….. Just a big Grin and real good feeling while wafting along.
Funny never been into wafting always prefer my cars to be more hard core than wafty LOL
Ian @124works – “thanks for the conversation – as you say words cost nothing “Top Man

Post some pictures when you can than,and what engine
Also looking you have a C37 202,is that Carlsson?

Last edited:
Welcome to W124 ownership. I had a E220 saloon before the cabriolet and really regret selling it.

Post some pictures when you can than,and what engine
Also looking you have a C37 202,is that Carlsson?

Its a E220 93 Estate, Bonite , Mushroom leather, Walnut wood, air con, FSH , minimum rust bar the obligatory front wings. Thanks to everyone here who provided excellent detailed posts and info about the ins and outs of w124s, I was more or less prepared. I knew it needed some mechanical attention i.e. Head gasket bar that everything else had already been sorted. Even the last two MOTs had no advisories, as the SLS spheres, brakes, windscreen, window regulators & tyres had already been replaced. So I’m just compiling a list of what needs attention as I discover more about the car, but first up, I will be doing the Head Gasket, will keep you posted. Yes the 202 is a Carlsson.

Attachments

• e220 resize1024.jpg
    e220 resize1024.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 214
I though that was my estate there for a second,looks great mate
Back to your 202,that must be rare

Hello and welcome to the forum
smile.gif

Bornite is a lovely colour. It would be nice to see MB producing some more interesting standard colours like they used to.

A spruce green C63 Estate would look lovely.

The monochromes on offer are getting a little tired.

I though that was my estate there for a second,looks great mate
Back to your 202,that must be rare
Hi D w124, yes I think you could be right, I was told it’s the only full spec one in the UK. I heard there may be one other but I can’t verify that. I do know it started life as a LHD w202 c280 Sport Blue/Black, Aircon, Glass Sunroof, Cruise, Cloth interior, Elec front windows. Carlsson took it from the MB production line, worked their magic then used it as their Showcar and Press car at 93 Frankfurt Motor show. Birds then brought it to the UK, added Racelogic Traction Control, rear boot spoiler, tweaked the suspension for UK roads and added a C37 Boot Decal was added. Grapevine tells me Affalterbach were not happy Carlsson using the C36 (Carlsson 3.6) on a faster competitor!!! So the Carlsson 3.7 was born, followed by the C37RS (RSs using ITBs 5 or 6 of these were made and there is CM60). In the UK the car spent its time on split duties being driven by various Journalists from numerous performance magazines while serving as a demonstrator of Carlsson’s engineering abilities. The Avatar used is supposed to be the actual car itself and it was a Birds advert that showed Carlsson styling that inspired me to enquire about some alloys for a c200 sport I was leasing at the time.
I enquired about alloys and ended up buying the actual demonstrator after they loaned it to me for a weekend,(Top Guys!) which involved a round trip to Manchester. One of my mates who at the time who was a hardcore M3/M5 Fan said if you close your eyes you would deny you were in a Mercedes based on the way it drove and sounded. The peer pressure won in the end LOL .

Sure I'll see what I can do, Nice looking c280 btw:thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom