wow 35.5 mpg from a V6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jblackCLK

Car
320CLK 98 W208, MK1 Fiesta XR2 Fly (Convertible)
Driving from the Wirral to Leeds yesterday in ordinary traffic in my 1998 CLK 320 I was amazed to discover the car averaging 35.5 MPG.
I was driving normally between 60 and 70 sometimes lower sometimes higher depending on traffic. At one point it even got up to 36.2 before I hit Leeds city centre.

When I first got the car it was doing around 27mpg but a new MAF, plugs, O2 sensors, B service, AT fluid change and keeping the tyres correctly inflated has obviously done the trick.

Now fingers crossed it stays that way or I'll have to sell another child to get it sorted.

Good result. You must have a smooth driving style. I get 30mpg out of my V6 on a long run, best was 32 last summer but I've just put a small amount of injector cleaner in the tank so it might improve a bit more but I'm not holding out too much hope. A good long run at speed does wonders for buring off all the carbons etc and I get the same 30mpg at 50, 60 70 or faster but the best speed is 75 when we're on the autoroutes in France.

What fuel are you using and have you checked the MPG readout against filling the tank brim to brim.?

I've checked mine and it seems about accurate but I can't say for Johnathan if that was aimed at him. My calculations are all based on long runs when the car is pretty heavy with 2 of us and luggage. Don't know what she might do empty.

It was directed towards Jonathan's post. An SL in the flatlands should achive a decent figure, yours sounds about right.

Ok, and thanks. It's a big brute weighing in at over 1800Kg but I love the 3.7, it just purrs. :D

I'm using standard unleaded and I'm going by the read out from the cluster. I know this is hardly scientific, but the mpg has steadily creeped up over the last few months while the car has felt better to drive.

I'm attributing the improvement to the new bits which all play a small part in mpg and the fact that its been a few months since I replaced them and so the car is settling in.

I'm also paying close attention to the tyre pressures (two of my tyres have a slow leak). when they are under pressure it makes a surprising difference to the mpg and feel of the car. It feels like I'm dragging something when one of the rears is under 27psi.

Last edited:
Judging from recent comments made regarding many models, Mercedes do seem to return quite favourable MPG figures.
My own thoughts on this is that Mercedes cars seem to be driven quite responsibly (generally). Its not often you see a Mercedes driven with a degree of verve or enthusiasm. Its not that that cant, they just dont seem to fit that particular bill. More designed and suited for a gentle waft than a frantic thrash. Which in turn results in good MPG.
Just my opinion.................

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom