Wow service quote

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funkyboy

Car
E class
Just had quote off Mercedes for next service £488. Asked what that included and was told 'full service' asked what that actually included so the girl read through a list which turned out to be an oil and filter change and brake fluid change. Rest was visual checks. Think I'll be doing it myself now car is coming upto 6 yrs old.

I'm surprised you've kept up with main dealer history as long as you have.

I'd have switched to an inde at 3 years although I have switched a CL500 at 2 years 9 months old and I still got warranty work done at a later date without issue.

I wonder how many people pay it without question but that quote is around double what it should be.

I'm surprised you've kept up with main dealer history as long as you have.

I'd have switched to an inde at 3 years although I have switched a CL500 at 2 years 9 months old and I still got warranty work done at a later date without issue.

I wonder how many people pay it without question but that quote is around double what it should be.

I kept it going till last year as year 4&5 are the big ones but I took a two year service plan that actually worked out cheaper than an independent. Those service plans for the right years are good value

Main stealers by name and by nature.

Volvo Xc90 2015. Volvo quote circa your £500, Volvo parts used local high quality garage = £230.

No such thing as a "full service" on planet Benz.
A service for oil change and basic inspection.
B service for oil change and bigger inspection but less thorough than your MoT test.
Anything else is an Extra dependant on time and/or mileage.

In the olden days there were two types of service. A short service and a full service.

6 year old car = sod main dealer, respected indie will be loads cheaper. Roughly where are you so knowledgeable folk on here can recommend an indie? Last B service for my S204, MB main dealer quote was north of £500, indie fitting OE parts and doing service in accordance with MB ESS was £300!

I kept it going till last year as year 4&5 are the big ones but I took a two year service plan that actually worked out cheaper than an independent. Those service plans for the right years are good value
Under a Service Care Plan, Service B plus brake fluid change will probably cost just under the £488 quoted. But the minimum is 2 services, and the next service (year 7) will be Service A with no additional items... so a Service Care Plan for 2 services won't work-out cheaper overall.

That said, the year 8 service will be a biggie... Service B, brake fluid, air filter, spark plugs (if petrol), fuel filter (if Diesel). Would be nice to get that one done under a Service Care Plan.

BTW, on the C-Class, pollen/cabin filter change is included in the price of the Service B.

Not sure about the E-Class - it will still be due every 2 years.

No such thing as a "full service" on planet Benz.
A service for oil change and basic inspection.
B service for oil change and bigger inspection but less thorough than your MoT test.
Anything else is an Extra dependant on time and/or mileage.

In the olden days there were two types of service. A short service and a full service.

Your right about the checks I was told they would check my washer fluid level....

Under a Service Care Plan, Service B plus brake fluid change will probably cost just under the £488 quoted. But the minimum is 2 services, and the next service (year 7) will be Service A with no additional items... so a Service Care Plan for 2 services won't work-out cheaper overall.

That said, the year 8 service will be a biggie... Service B, brake fluid, air filter, spark plugs (if petrol), fuel filter (if Diesel). Would be nice to get that one done under a Service Care Plan.

That's why I did the 4+5 one. 4 was all filters including fuel 5 was ATF change.

The one thing that hasn't been taken into account is the free coffee served by 'front of house' staff at the dealer. You probably won't get that at an indie or if you do it yourself - and most 'other halves' won't appreciate being referred to as 'front of house'.

The price quoted by OP seems about the new norm.

I still think they've upped service prices in recent years to encourage people to take out the 'cheaper' service-plan, thus tying people in to the dealer network --and many don't work out the real cost if it's only '£x' per month. My local dealer used to offer reduced rates for cars more than three years old, it's now seven years.

The one thing that hasn't been taken into account is the free coffee served by 'front of house' staff at the dealer. You probably won't get that at an indie or if you do it yourself - and most 'other halves' won't appreciate being referred to as 'front of house'.

The price quoted by OP seems about the new norm.

I still think they've upped service prices in recent years to encourage people to take out the 'cheaper' service-plan, thus tying people in to the dealer network --and many don't work out the real cost if it's only '£x' per month. My local dealer used to offer reduced rates for cars more than three years old, it's now seven years.

This is offered by the Sandown group, platinum programme -

Our Locations

1599036653481.png

Indy servicing being loads cheaper than Mercedes service plan can easily be a myth depending on what services are being done. My service 8,9 and 10 work out around £100 cheaper at my local good indy over the next three years (at current prices) than a service plan, some would say that's still a saving but I also get free Mercedes breakdown plus it's still FULL Mercedes service history.

Indy servicing being loads cheaper than Mercedes service plan can easily be a myth depending on what services are being done. My service 8,9 and 10 work out around £100 cheaper at my local good indy over the next three years (at current prices) than a service plan, some would say that's still a saving but I also get free Mercedes breakdown plus it's still FULL Mercedes service history.

As you pointed out, it really depends on the particular services covered by the plan.

A good example is years 4 and 5 on my 2013 C180 - year 4 is Service B, breake fluid, air filter, and spark plugs.... year 5 is Service A and ATF. Not many indies can beat the overall plan cost (£36x24), even before taking into account Mobilo etc.

But for example the services for years 1, 2, 3 would be far cheaper at an indie.

Don’t forget the unlimited tea or coffee. Maybe even a wee biscuit.

Sometimes the quotes I've been given from two of my local Indy places have been more than the Merc themselves. It pays to shop around.

Posted elsewhere but don't forget Servicecare also 20% 'off' until 30/9 for those wanting to stick with Merc servicing and paying up front ( doesn't apply to monthly payment). Code is SC20.

There are benefits that might apply to some in sticking with MB eg includes all recommended work. Also maintains roadside recovery if serviced in house. For some that may be important. As well as the tea and coffee. Or hand gel in these strange times :)

I just did a discounted 3 year/ 3 service. I think an Indie, if I found one would not be much cheaper tbh.

Last edited:
Definitely worth shopping around - under the discounted MB service plan, my next 2 services will cost is £729.60, which includes an ATF, spark plugs and brake fluid. My local indie quoted c£850 for the same work..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom