WOW! - Tested SLK55 AMG at Mercedes Open Day...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
CLK500, MGF VVC(NOS) sub13s 1/4... Boring 4 door...
Whilst waiting 40 minutes for the test I had a spin around the track as a passenger in an E350 sport very nice handling particularly nice when we hit the 40 degree banked curve at 110MPH! Then we did an ABS test at 90MPH which was all very impressive! Anyway after some more coffee and sandwiches my 40min wait was almost over... :D

There was also a silver SLK350 available however the 55 was black/red leather a very nice colour combo... I heard it burble in and out the public section a few times... I knew my time was coming!

A couple of guys went out before me the driver had a very nice Brabus SL500, anyway they jumped in and put the hardtop up... and gunned it away 1st... 2nd gone! Well I and the girl managing the waiting testers were pleased to see it come back in one piece... now it was my turn!

I jumped in felt at home straight away quickly setting seat/steering, hitting the ESP button, followed by tip to first! Then held it in first as I slowly left the public section before brroooommm... 2nd.... Brroooooom... 3rd... Broooommm... The changes are really quick! and the sound was unbelievable... it was registering 110 as I was coming up to the first unknown curve nevertheless the brakes were well up to the job with a nice feel allowing me to scrubb the speed off without upsetting any front grip… I saw the bend was a nice curve so could push it a bit more and gradually throw the weight back onto the back wheels with the throttle… by the first corner I could tell this car has a very nice balance! The noise, balance, grip, engine, sound, looks, quality interior… Oh I want one already!

My test was over too quickly however before exiting the car I noticed that average consumption for the day was 9MPG… :D

I was smiling for a few hours after that - what a machine!

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of fun!, Really like the looks of the SLK55, and with the 7 speed box too.

So, any plans to trade in the CLK500 ;) ?

I must admit to be really considering it... My head says I like the street sleeper CLK500 however my heart says go get the SLK55 AMG. So it’s the usual battle of heart and head – my heart usually wins in the end though takes its time these days!

The handling and balance of that car is in a different league and the open top sound of that engine / exhaust combo is just intoxicating! The seven speed box changed really quickly and meant you were on the power all the time – gear changes are very fast – push button almost instant change!

What a package!

Sounds amazing. Lucky you! :D

RichieRuss2000 said:
I must admit to be really considering it... My head says I like the street sleeper CLK500 however my heart says go get the SLK55 AMG. So it’s the usual battle of heart and head – my heart usually wins in the end though takes its time these days!

The handling and balance of that car is in a different league and the open top sound of that engine / exhaust combo is just intoxicating! The seven speed box changed really quickly and meant you were on the power all the time – gear changes are very fast – push button almost instant change!

What a package!

Let your heart do the decisions, my head usually catches up about 12 months later! :) That exhaust noise with the roof down must be something else, I often drive with the rear windows down to try and get the best of mine!

Maff said:
I often drive with the rear windows down to try and get the best of mine!

Never thought of putting the back down :D I must say the radio is notably quieter these days and the first thing I usually do when getting a car is to fit the subs. Not so over a month and still in the back bedroom :D

*EDIT*

On topic :p Sounds like a great experience. Wouldnt want to be the one footing the petrol bill though.

I also put the rear windows down to try experience the V8 sound which growls quite nicely for one big bore exhaust... This was 10 times louder!

Between the petrol, coffee and sandwiches at least I managed to get back some of that service money... :D

Last edited:
Thmsshaun said:
Wouldnt want to be the one footing the petrol bill though.

if you dont go racing about it will do 35mpg and has a range of over 560miles with a full tank. at 60mph too. If i had my act together I would post a pic to prove this. but its far to early. normal round town driving brings betwen 17.8 and 24mpg. smile factor increases in direct proportion to noise but fuel goes down at that point.

My head rules my heart...so i decided to go mad just to fool it and went out and bought one. I suggest everyone does the same.

RichieRuss2000 said:
Whilst waiting 40 minutes for the test

How did you get the invite for the day? I would love to go on one!

The invite came through from my dealer (Greenoaks). They were launching the new ML...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom